Potty training child under 2

bookworm0901

Reaction score
Hey all!! So this is my 3rd child to potty train.

My first was potty trained before his second birthday. I was a stay at home mom, I worked hard with him and he was ready, we did the no pants method.

By the time I was potty training my second, I worked at a Mother’s Day out two days per week. I waited til the summer after school when she was around 2 1/2. I did the no pants method with her also. She would pick it up quickly and then relapse, I discovered an apple allergy (giving her rashes) and once I stopped letting her eat apples she was fine.

Now baby number three. He’s currently 21 months. My plan was to wait til the summer like I did with my daughter bc then we can focus on it without the worry of school. I bought him a little potty about a week ago just to get the idea in his head. He has gone pee and poop on the potty about 5 times each! Then this morning I asked him if he wanted to try and he said yes and he peed right away, making me think he’s gaining control over it. This is the first time I’ve done it like this because I’ve always done the no pants method, I let him sit if he wants and if he doesn’t, he doesn’t. And when he goes I put his diaper back in after and give him a treat.

I don’t know what to do. I feel like I should go full force with it since he’s doing so well and is interested. But we go to school three days a week and i just don’t see it happening in his 1 year old class. Should I wait til summer? Should I go for it before he loses interest? I’ve never done pull ups, I think they are confusing, should I try them for school and maybe undies for home? My friend said putting his diaper back on after he pees in the potty is already confusing.

I would love some advice!!

What about putting him in cloth diapers so he can feel when he is wet, so less confusing than a disposable diaper where he can't feel wet/uncomfortable?

Get nursery in on the training! They’ll totally be able to help whilst he’s there. Ours just asked we sent in many spare pairs of pants :) he sounds ready!
Good luck :thumbup:

My ds3 potty trained himself just before he was 2. He refused to wear nappies and actually used the potty all the time. We had very few accidents even when out and about. I’d definitely try it if you think he’s ready

If he's doing well and is interested, I would just bite the bullet and switch to underwear. It will be messy, but the mess will provide him with more learning opportunities and it will speed the process along. Don't be surprised though if there's a regression. And don't worry if you decide to switch back to diapers in the case of a back-slide. It's a learning process and he'll get there in the end. My littlest is 2 months short of 3 and he was out of diapers at 23 months. We put him back in because during a vacation, he completely back-slid. We would have pushed things sooner if we hadn't gotten a puppy, but we're working on re-training currently. The continued progress only happened when the diapers were ditched altogether. He still has a long way to go, but there's no way he'd be making any progress if we still had him in diapers.

I’m actually going to bit the bullet with DD2 she’s just turned two . Keeps saying saying toilet so we take her up and sit her on she’s yet to do anything but least she’s asking .

Also made a fuss of her asking and sitting on the toilet . As a reward she picked out a soft toilet seat and loves it ! I’m hoping DD1 will help her along the way !

I would just go for it you can only try !! Good luck ! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"