Potty training help!!!

Reiko_ctu

Reaction score
So I’m potty training my toddler right now. She is exactly 2.5 years old.

I started because she hated getting her poo bum changed and asked me to change her right away after she had peed.

I started by asking her every 20 mins and putting her on the potty every hour. We are 7 days in now and I have her schedule down so I’m putting her on every 3-4 hours now and she’s not having any accidents. After lunch or dinner she gets very quiet and I can smell her passing gas so I put her on the potty and she poops no problem.

The issue is with pee. She couldn’t release her pee, I’m guessing because she was scared/anxious (although she showed no signs of being so, but it’s new so I’m assuming she was a bit) and just because it’s a new sensation letting go of those muscles. So I read to put the little potty in the tub and run the warm water over their feet. That worked, so every time we try the regular potty and it doesn’t work, I end up putting her in the tub and running the water. So we are 7 days in and she still will only pee if in the tub with the water running!! Shouldn’t she have gotten the hang of it by now if she was ready? I don’t want to stop because she doesn’t want to go back to diapers and honestly this is working fine, I’m just hoping that in a week or so I won’t have to put her in the tub and she’ll be able to release the pee on her own!

Sounds like she is doing fine. You could try either running the water for less and less time until she only get it for a second or two and wean her off it, or go cold turkey. She has the skills to hold the urine in which is what potty training in about so she will slowly get used to the sensation of relaxing. It may just be she is feeling out of her comfort zone and the water is a distraction rather than the physical side of it. With nappies she was hidden, now she's exposed. Could you try leaving her to go and come back a minute later rather than putting her in the tub?

So I’m potty training my toddler right now. She is exactly 2.5 years old.

I started because she hated getting her poo bum changed and asked me to change her right away after she had peed.

I started by asking her every 20 mins and putting her on the potty every hour. We are 7 days in now and I have her schedule down so I’m putting her on every 3-4 hours now and she’s not having any accidents. After lunch or dinner she gets very quiet and I can smell her passing gas so I put her on the potty and she poops no problem.

The issue is with pee. She couldn’t release her pee, I’m guessing because she was scared/anxious (although she showed no signs of being so, but it’s new so I’m assuming she was a bit) and just because it’s a new sensation letting go of those muscles. So I read to put the little potty in the tub and run the warm water over their feet. That worked, so every time we try the regular potty and it doesn’t work, I end up putting her in the tub and running the water. So we are 7 days in and she still will only pee if in the tub with the water running!! Shouldn’t she have gotten the hang of it by now if she was ready? I don’t want to stop because she doesn’t want to go back to diapers and honestly this is working fine, I’m just hoping that in a week or so I won’t have to put her in the tub and she’ll be able to release the pee on her own!
My dd was the same she was a little younger but the first week she had to be in the tub with water running to pee. I would just let her start peeing and then pull her out and set her on the potty. I also had sweets she could have after each successful potty trip and an activity of her choice (she loves carosals so we'd go ride one with horses) and that worked for her. She does have poop accidents every so often and almost daily last week so I think each toddler just figures it out on their own schedule

Teri that’s a great idea to wean the water off slowly. Love it!!

Well she wanted to show her auntie how she is a big girl so she just sat down on the potty and went, no water. So I guess she knows how to do it! She just likes the water I’m guessing so I’ll have to wean her off.

Well she wanted to show her auntie how she is a big girl so she just sat down on the potty and went, no water. So I guess she knows how to do it! She just likes the water I’m guessing so I’ll have to wean her off.

Now you know she can do it, and she knows she can do it, you might not need to wean her off it at all - that might have been the breakthrough moment.

Sounds like she’s doing fab!

There is no "she should have it by now." Just keep up the good work and she will be fine. When I potty trained my second, we switched to underwear cold turkey and faced near constant accidents for about a month. You could see he was getting closer to peeing in the toilet, but it took that month before there was measurable progress. It took another two weeks for him to be more reliable. If we put in as much effort as you, he could have had fewer accidents, but he still got there in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->