Potty training nightmare

Missbb2591

Reaction score
Looking for some advice really as I'm at a total loss now.

Bit of background, my youngest daughter had a lot of complications when she was born and has always been 6 months to a year delayed because of these complications. She is now 3 years 10 months and potty training is just not happening. She will happily wee on the toilet and never wets but she point blank refuses to poo on the toilet/in a potty. She suffers quite badly with constipation but we have that under control with medication from the docs. I'm pretty sure she knows she needs to go but I'm having to change up to 10 dirty pull ups a day it's constant some days so I don't know if it's a medical issue or not. We have tried putting her in knickers and it makes no difference.

I really need to get it sorted but I have no clue where to go now I've never had this with my other two daughters they were well potty trained by now. I've done all the usual reward charts, making a huge fuss when she does use the toilet and not making a deal about when she doesn't but it makes no difference. Help!

I don't have much to offer, other than the pooing ten times a day seems a little extreme. My little girl has just been potty trained and poos once a day, twice at the very most.

It is totally normal for little ones to struggle with poos more than wees as they find it harder to tell when they need to go, but to me anyway, it sounds like the medication could be part of your difficulty. Maybe talk to your doctor?

Hope you get sorted!

I don't have much to offer, other than the pooing ten times a day seems a little extreme. My little girl has just been potty trained and poos once a day, twice at the very most.

It is totally normal for little ones to struggle with poos more than wees as they find it harder to tell when they need to go, but to me anyway, it sounds like the medication could be part of your difficulty. Maybe talk to your doctor?

Hope you get sorted!

It's so frustrating coz the docs keep saying it's just behavioural but I'm sure it's not normal and my other two were never like this and never poo'ed as much.

Sorry you guys are dealing with this. 10 dirty pull ups a day doesn't sound normal. Could it be: too much meds to make her go causing D, impaction causing leakage, witholding causing leakage or something in her diet causing D?
My son has gi issues so those are some things I might think of to investigate.
Best of luck!

Ten times a day sounds like a medical problem. I'd sort that out first. If doctors won't listen, start asking pointed questions until they do listen. Or flat out tell them "pooping 10 times a day is a medical concern, not a behavioral one. What might be causing this, how do we figure it out, and what can we do about it?" Once the medical side is taken care of, then you can begin to tackle the behavioral aspect of going in the toilet instead of in a diaper or underwear.

I agree that that sounds like a medical problem and I would consult a dr about it. She can't possibly be expected to poo normally in the toilet if she's leaking 10 times a day in a pull up. I would get her diet and her medication looked at as it may be exacerbating the problem. If she's also delayed then you can really expect her to be quite far behind your other kids with toilet training.

Thanks girls I'm gunna go back to the gp and ask for a referral to the hospital I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->