potty training with learning delays

shopgirl771

mum to Jacob
Reaction score
is it fair to think that my LB will most likely be a late potty trainer if hes got learning delays, particularly in understanding and communication?

how have others handled potty training in similar situations?

thanks x

I'm sorry, I've got no advice to give, other than to say we're in exactly the same boat. DS has just turned two and like your LB, he has speech, learning and understanding delays.
So I'll be following this thread to see how other parents have done it.

My son has developmental delay (gross motor skills) and speech delay and he was trained at around 2yrs9mo. We gave it a try because the preschool really wants them trained, so we thought we would give it a shot. It was a huge fail. Tons and tons of accidents - he didn't care at all or have any idea that he was going to pee. I decided to go back to diapers and try again later - but he started absolutely freaking out if we put them on him. So we just kept going with it since it was easier than him having meltdowns because he was wearing a diaper.
It took a month for him to start holding it until I put him on the toilet, another month for him to be aware, and the third month for him to let us know. He's 3yrs 2mo now. He still needs help getting in and out of his pants, and we haven't thought about night training at all so he's still in diapers at night.

His understanding isn't delayed however - he understood the whole process. Our main issues were that he was resistant to doing it, didn't care at all if he was sitting in wet/dirty underwear, and him being able to communicate that he needed to go.

My son has developmental delay I tried to get him trained at 2yrs 11m an we were getting no where so I waited untill he was 3 and a half before I started potty training him again and he took to it really well dry day and night within 2 weeks I think waiting the extra time untill he was ready really helped- (his developmental delay is 1.5years) x

My son has developmental delay (gross motor skills) and speech delay and he was trained at around 2yrs9mo. We gave it a try because the preschool really wants them trained, so we thought we would give it a shot. It was a huge fail. Tons and tons of accidents - he didn't care at all or have any idea that he was going to pee. I decided to go back to diapers and try again later - but he started absolutely freaking out if we put them on him. So we just kept going with it since it was easier than him having meltdowns because he was wearing a diaper.
It took a month for him to start holding it until I put him on the toilet, another month for him to be aware, and the third month for him to let us know. He's 3yrs 2mo now. He still needs help getting in and out of his pants, and we haven't thought about night training at all so he's still in diapers at night.

His understanding isn't delayed however - he understood the whole process. Our main issues were that he was resistant to doing it, didn't care at all if he was sitting in wet/dirty underwear, and him being able to communicate that he needed to go.

i think we might end up doing something similar. jacobs just started showing some real signs he might be ready but cos of his communication delay he really doesnt know how to tell me before hand. he happily tells me his sisters done a poo as a means of telling me hes done a poo lol not that i ever need telling that hes done one :haha:

hes kind of stuck in limbo at the moment. he can hold it and doesnt like wearing nappies but the potty bit is a little hit and miss. oh and he doesnt like wearing pants atm either. im a bit scared of pushing to hard but maybe what uve described is what we need to do aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->