• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Potty Training

ColtonsMom

Reaction score
I just have a few questions for those who have potty trained their LOs, or are in the process of it..

When did you introduce a potty (Age)?
How long did it take to potty train them? OR how long have you been "in the process"?
Also, how did you do it? Like, just let them learn? Repeatedly putting them on the potty?
I'm cluesless :blush:

I've been thinking about picking up a potty and introducing it now. I'm wondering if I introduce it sooner, if he will be easier to potty train?
I have a cousin who wasn't introduced to the potty until 18mo, she's 20mo now and only has occasional accidents.
But then on the other hand I have a close friend who introduced the potty around the same age and has a 30 month old who isnt potty trained.

So, just wanted to get others experiences.. with introducing teh potty and how you did it!

I will be starting potty training as soon as max is 12 months , but i wont push it on him ..im getting him the potty that sings lol and ever time we go we'll bring him and show him ..if he does it great if not its okay

Thats the potty I thought about getting! Is it the one with the flush handle and the fake toilet paper thing? LOL.. thats the one I want.. looks like an actual little toilet.

I've also seen little urinals that actually flush and all! But he wouldn't be able to do his #2.. so scratch that :lol:

But.. must go.. my son is opening and slamming the entertainment center doors :dohh:

Do u train boys to stand up or sit down :blush:?

Robyn was around 20 mths
but she wouldnt use the potty she would only go to the toilet :happydance:
it took er about a week x

My mom trained all my younger brothers to sit. Then when they get older and know what they are doing they stand. :D
Alot of the little potties too will have a part that you flip around, for little girls it has a downward scoop and for the little boys it will have an upward scoop (so they dont pee up out of the potty ;) )

On John and Kate + 8, they gave them mini m&m's every time they used the potty (1 for pee, 2 for poo), but they checked to make sure they weren't lying. I suppose I'll do something like that when the time comes, it seemed to work well for them.

I would probably eat all the M&Ms myself.. :blush: especially if I knew they were there! I would be like 2 for you, a handful for me :dohh:

:rofl:

I'm going to wait until I know Alasdair is ready for it. I've heard too many stories about parents trying to potty train their babies (especially boys it seems) and having major problems with it.

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/toddler/pottytraining/forboys/

I hope this is useful for you, it has a link to a checklist for 'readiness' as well.

I dont think he is completely ready. I will probably wait until 16-18 months before trying. It kinda makes me anxious though now that he is one year old. :dohh: IDK why.
He does have some nakey time, and will grab himself before peeing.. like he feels something is about to happen. And he has regular movements.. however, he cannot pull his pants up and down by himself (well, he will soemtimes but not regularaly), tell me when he is about to go, and doesn't seem uncomfortable when he has went..

I would probably eat all the M&Ms myself.. :blush: especially if I knew they were there! I would be like 2 for you, a handful for me :dohh:

:rofl: I would do the same! I have such a sweet tooth, my DH has put out little sweets stash on a shelf up high, where he thinks I can't get them, but I find a way up there :devil:

:rofl: I would do the same! I have such a sweet tooth, my DH has put out little sweets stash on a shelf up high, where he thinks I can't get them, but I find a way up there :devil:

:rofl: I bought a pack of chocolate chips to use to make chocolate chip pancakes and ate them all before I even got a chance to make pancakes! :blush: And they weren't even in the normal food shelf.. they were above out stove.. with the spices and stuff! :dohh:

Hi ColtonsMom

We waited until Freya was good and ready. For her, that meant nearly 3. It went very smoothly, and we only had a couple of 'accidents'. Much as I was looking forward to the end of nappies (diapers :)), I really didn't want to push her if she wasn't ready. Every child is different, but I believe that there is little benefit to be had from pushing a child who is too young/not ready.

Colton will start to show interest as and when he is ready. Encourage that, but remember that he may start off keen and then lose interest for a while altogether. Just take it easy, and let him set the pace.

Good luck!

I would just have a potty around from about 18months... if he's interested he'll let me know.

One thing I've heard and I do think its the most logical but awkward way to start toilet training - which is, any time me or daddy need to wee at home, we'll leave the door open - if he's interested in what mummy and daddy are doing he'll be more inclined to emulate us.

I plan to take a very relaxed approach to potty training. He'll figure it out in his own time. (without being irresponsible about it, I'd be starting to be a bit more serious if he's full time in nappys at 3)

From reading previous posts, it seems to me that people in the US and Canada tend to start thinking about this much earlier than in the UK. Most of us over here don't even think about it until at least 2 years old. Charlie has been potty trained for about a month now, and he is also completely dry at night, however he still has number 2 accidents. I waited until he was asking to use the potty.

At Charlie's nursery, they got moved up to the next group around the age of 3, and around 50% of them that move up are still in nappies.

When did you introduce a potty (Age)?
18 months when he started wanting to sit on the big potty.
How long did it take to potty train them? OR how long have you been "in the process"?
He is 20 months now and is doing great. Complete potty learning won't happen until around age 4 when they are biologically old enough to be night time trained.
Also, how did you do it? Like, just let them learn? Repeatedly putting them on the potty?
I find the experience to be exciting for me. you have to show them what to do. Have them sit on the potty and read a book or sing songs, and then when they pee or poo be very excited about it so they know thats what they were suppose to do. I have Hunter go to the potty every half hour after he drinks something.

From reading previous posts, it seems to me that people in the US and Canada tend to start thinking about this much earlier than in the UK. Most of us over here don't even think about it until at least 2 years old. Charlie has been potty trained for about a month now, and he is also completely dry at night, however he still has number 2 accidents. I waited until he was asking to use the potty.

At Charlie's nursery, they got moved up to the next group around the age of 3, and around 50% of them that move up are still in nappies.

I couldn't imagine having a 3 year old still in diapers :shock: but I was reading that link above (sorry dont remember the site name) and it said it can take them up to 4 to learn!
My mom has four kids and all of us were potty trained before 2.. and three of them are boys, which I've always heard are harder!

Thanks for the replies everyone! If anyone else wants to share potty training experiences please share! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->