Potty training

LynAnne

Mum to 2 Boys
Reaction score
DS1 is 2 years and 3 month old and has decided, completely of his own accord, that he doesn't want to wear his nappya at home and instead asks for underwear as he knows that's what mummy and daddy wear. I never planned on starting potty training this early but now that he's doing this is don't know whether or not to encourage it. I mean, I'm not going to discourage it but should I actively start potty training? We've had one success and a couple of accidents but I'm not convinced he's actually ready.

I know pull-ups aren't necessarily a helpful tool as they absorb the pee like a nappy and they don't realise they are wet but maybe not a bad first step in this case? I've heard that putting a piece of kitchen roll in the pull up helps them know when they are wet.

I would start now on a gentle approach to it . He’s giving you the right signs to start ! Just go with him for a few days and see what happens!

We have started with DD2 again after a failed attempted a few months ago . She doesn’t care about being in a wet / soiled nappy and won’t tell you if she needs changing. She is more than ready talks very well for her age . Knows what the toilet is for etc . I just don’t understand her stubbornness to do it ! Maybe I haven’t forced the issue enough but that’s it tomorrow when we are in the house it’s knickers only ! I’ve never heard of the kitchen roll trick !

I'd go with it, my DS was the exactly same age when he asked so we just went with it Try it for few days if you can see where it goes

@Babybump87 I potty trained my first daughter using mainly jelly beans when she was 3 and more than ready, but reluctant.

Sometimes bribery is the only way and the lesser of two evils lol.

Thanks Meep !

I’m not sure what happened but out the blue she didn’t wanna wear a pull up the last two days! Only had one accident ! She’s really surprised me !

We are giving her lots of praise and stickers !

Pull-ups ARE diapers, so just decide for yourself if you would prefer to work with diapers or pull-up diapers. If he's going for it, why not try it? It won't do any harm to give it a try as long as you keep a relaxed attitude about it. And don't make the mistake of thinking that having a lot of accidents means that a child is not ready. When my son was a few months short of 3, my husband (stay-at-home dad) decided he (my husband... not my son)was ready to commit to potty training. My son had about a solid month of constant accidents, but then about a month and a half later, he was pretty nearly reliable. Possibly another couple weeks before the reliability was more solidified. The process of potty training is more complex than just getting the pee in the toilet. At this age, I would just celebrate his successes and keep things neutral when you clean up the accidents. If you go back to diapers though and try toilet training closer to 3, though, I would pull in some chocolate chips for rewards and have him clean up the messes. By 3, kids are pretty receptive to that sort of training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->