Potty training?

Lu28

Aisling's mammy
Reaction score
This isn't something I've looked into in much detail but when do you guys plan on starting potty training and do you stop using nappies altogether when that happens? A friend of mine said she was starting at 18 months and my immediate panic was oh my god, less than 6 months of fluff left! :cry::haha:

Our plan is to see how we get on with elimination communication from around 3-6 months (probably closer to 6) onward in the hope that he will not need nappies (at least in the day) at one. It seems a shame to be buying so many nappies in the hope for him not to need them for long but we want to try and down play the whole potty training experience as much as possible in the hope that it come naturally to him rather than him throwing tantrums about it.

Family 'advisors' are telling me to start at 18 months too! I am just going to start when Olivia seems ready.

A friend started at 18 months and it was just frustrating for them both as her lo just wasnt ready. She tried again after her daughters 2nd birthday and she picked it up alot quicker. I think all babies are ready at different times x

How do you know when they're ready? I know someone was telling me they started when LO was able to tell them they'd done a wee etc

TBH I dont believe in "starting" potty training. Once he started knowing he needed to pee (started by him sticking his hand in his nappy!) I would ask him if he would like to use the toilet. If he did fine he went and "tried" in the toilet and if not no problem. It was just a case of recognising his signals that he needed to go and linking that with the toilet, even if he didnt USE said toilet. I never used a plastic potty but that was my preference as I wanted him to be able to use an adult toilet straight away.

I've always figured we'll wait until she's aware and then encourage her from there. I'm also keen on the toilet over a potty.

I'd prefer to go straight to a toilet too, I wonder why most people use potties?

My son (like many kids) has a HUGE independent side to him and wants to do everything himself. When I tried putting him on the potty or toilet he would resist and it always turn into a huge tantrum. I moved him into pull ups at age 2, and every now and then he would maybe try for a pee in the potty, but he was by no means consistent with it. Then he hit 3 and suddenly he could not only pee and poop on the toilet with no help, but could also wipe and wash his hands too! He was still peeing in his pull ups a couple times a day so I just put him in underwear and after 2 days he was fully trained. So it may have taken him a bit longer than some kids, but I avoided all the tantrums and he learned how to do it all himself very quickly. (Not saying I was being lazy with my parenting - but any mother of a very stubborn and independent child knows to pick your battles, and also, with some kids, pushing them into something that they just aren't ready for will only make them want to do what you are asking less.)
When starting on the potty or toilet, I would first look for signs that your child is about to go. They may tell you they have to pee, or maybe you see him/her make their "poop" face. When I saw that I would ask if he would like to try it on the potty. Also, when my son started going somewhere alone and private to do his business in his pull ups, I took that as a sign that he was ready.
I bought a wonderful kit from Chapter - The Potty Caddy. My son was so excited it really got him in gear to use the toilet. It was a box that contained: a guide for parents, a kids potty book (one of the funniest things I have ever read!!), a potty chart and stickers, flushable potty targets to aim at, kids magazines to read on the potty just like daddy, and a toilet paper holder in the box for his/her own toilet paper. Basically everything you need in a carry case that makes it fun for kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->