Pre-eclampsia (aka toxemia)

I was diagnosed with pe at 37 weeks but was showing NO symptoms!!

i had a c section because of this, at 8.5 months. i had high blood pressure and something high in my urine? God im useless! i had to avoid salt and take a pill every day..cant even remember what it was something with an m? i had to do blood tests often and urine tests, it wasnt serious with me.

It was most likely high protein in your urine if it was pre-eclampsia~

I started showing pe symptoms a week ago today while I was on holiday, saw doc on friday as soon as I got home, got diagnosed straight away and sent to hospital same day for monitoring, had more monitoring the next day and they also found glucose in my urine at the same time so I have to have a glucose test as well now for gd.

My problem is that due to epilepsy and anemia I often get headaches and seizures anyway so may not even realise if it's getting worse. I'd had a 6 day headache the previous week due to how bad my anemia had gotten....

The only thing that gave it away for me was the swelling of my feet, ankles and calves, as it wouldn't go down no matter what I did, and it's so bad I can't even get shoes on (not even my h2b's shoes fit and he's a size 8, whereas I'm usually a 5 and a half !!) If it hadn't been for that I wouldn't have gone to the docs and found out about the protein and blood pressure!

They discovered that I had pre-eclampsia when I was already in labour at 39wks 5days so they don't always spot it early. They only realised after I had already been there for 5 hours after my waters breaking and they found protein in my urine and ridiculously high BP. It was absolutely horrible as they even had to cutmy bracelet off me as I swelled up drastically! They had to rush my labour as baby's heart rate was dropping. To be honest I did have a few migraines during late pregnancy but I'd always got them before pregnancy anyway so I didn't go and get checked out. I flipping wish I had now!

I had pe with my twins so am being monitored closely this time .
I was montiored pretty close last time but it came on fast i had a consultant app on the thursday and was fine , but the dr said something to upset me so i came home and made an app with my mw for the monday . all that weekend i felt just ill really and tired and really uncomfy like babies were turning or something . when i went to the mw my bp was 180/104 so sent me in an ambulance to hospital had protein , babies had not grown for a week my platelettes in my blood were dropping that was on the monday at 33 weeks boys were delivered 4 days later by section as despite trying i was geting worse .
so my advice if you feel a bit of or unwell but cant really put your finger on it see your mw .
Am really hoping i dont get it this time and have bought a home bp machine to keep an eye on my own bp and will be much more vigilant this time .I think the problm is first time round you dont know what is normal and what is not .

Good luck ladies and keep well :kiss:

I had preeclampsia when I was pregnant with Molly, my only child. There is no history of it in our family. I had dizzy spells affecting my vision when I was around 20 weeks that made me really sick. The doctor diagnosed me as having sever sickness which he thought led to the dizzy spells :dohh:. This went after a few days though. I went for a routine antenatal appointment at 28 weeks nad had no other symtoms, but the midwife found protein in my urine and I had raised blood pressure. I was monitored closely and put on pills to lower my blood pressure to keep Molly inside as long as possible. She was delivered by emergency c secion at 29+1 as my blood pressure reached 211/116!

i had a c section because of this, at 8.5 months. i had high blood pressure and something high in my urine? God im useless! i had to avoid salt and take a pill every day..cant even remember what it was something with an m? i had to do blood tests often and urine tests, it wasnt serious with me.

It was most likely high protein in your urine if it was pre-eclampsia~

yes yes thats it!

I'm glad I read this because I didn't know about the pain at the top of bump being a symptom! I haven't had that pain but I know if I get it that I'll be ringing the MW!

They say I'm "at risk" of developing PE, my blood pressure has been quite high. Highest was 160/90 which I thought was really bad but after reading some of these posts I've realised how much higher it could be!! I'm checking my urine everyday for protein, if I get protein in my urine I need to go to the labour ward straight away with my bags packed where they would look at inducing me or a c-section. Also been told that baby is measuring small which is another sign of PE I think?

Its scary, you hear of so many babies not making it :cry: I only have appointments to check my BP once a week which I don't think is often enough knowing how quickly things can come on. But at least I'm checking my urine daily so hopefully if I do develop PE it'll be picked up straight away.

Good luck to any ladies that have it and thanks for sharing :flower: xxx

Hi hun, this is my fourth pregnancy, my first ended with my son being stillborn due to pre eclampsia at 27 weeks, I had no symptoms that were obvious unfortunately and so cant really offer much up about that one, 2nd pregnancy was miscarriage, 3rd pregnancy was monitored every week and started with bp and protein in water from about 26 wks but was stable and finally induced at 38 wks as protein levels were getting worse and was on bed rest in hospital. This time im at nearly 32 wks and bp just started to increase but no protein yet and just mild headaches. I think this condition is very unpredictable and unfortunately no cases are standard, from what im told with my stllbirth my condition came on extremely quickly but from what im told as long as you stick to appts for checks should be picked up before reaches crucial stage.

Hi,
I am still recovering from preeclampsia. Mine developed very quickly and severely at 26 weeks along with HELLP syndrome. I felt absolutely fine and only went to the doctor with swollen feet! I had 4+ protein and blood pressure of about 200/110. I didn't even have a headache!! My baby was seriously growth restricted and was delivered by emer c-section the following day. I was given mags sulphate for fitting and was very ill. Unfortunately, due to my babies size (1lb 2oz) she passed away after 5 days fighting. It was and still is so hard to deal with and nothing will make it better. I have been given the go ahead to try for another baby in Jan but am also very scared. Anyone had preeclampsia this early/severe and have a normal pregnancy? I can't bear the thought of it happening again but realise it might.
For anyone else pregnant, make sure you go to the doctors with swelling - even if you feel ok!!

Hi, I also suffered with pre eclampsia in my first pregnancy. I developed sever PE at 23 weeks and was hospitalised until the birth. I also felt fine and could feel no effects of it, though i also had 4+ protein and sky high blood pressure. My baby was also seriously growth retricted and was born by empergency c section at 28 weeks weighing just 1Ib 10 oz. Thankfully he is ok. He is now 3 years old and still small, though he was in special care for 3 months he had no problems was just small. i am now pregnant with my second, i was told when i was in hospital with my son that the second time you are unlikely to get it again and if you do it will always be milder... That gives me hope that this time will be ok.. Also, i know i was told something about if you take half a baby aspirin a day this can help prevent it. Has anyone heard this?

Bea82, i am sorry for your loss. I cant imagine what you went though to lose your baby, i know my time in hositpal with my child (who was in special care for 3 months) was the hardest time of my life. Hope you can find support to get you through it.

Thank you, its good to hear your story and know that it can mean a healthy child in the end. It gives me some hope x

Meant to say as well, yes have also been told to take 75mg of aspirin a day. It does make a good difference in some cases. Also heparin can be used, and this has been mentioned by my consultant. I have also read (on the guardian newspaper website type in preeclampsia) that calcium supplements can help, there is a good article on it which I will ask my consultant about.

Hi, I went to the A&E of my local hospital at 36 weeks (not where I was due to give birth) with really bad chest pains which extended into my shoulders and tops of arms. Once there they sent me up the maternity day unit because of high blood pressure (200/110) and once there they check my urine which had 4+. I had no idea what was going on, the pains had subsided and I thought they were just doing a routine check, but then suddenly I became really confused and couldn't speak properly, I started swelling everywhere and I could hardly walk. They induced me there and then, and I managed to deliver normally albeit with an incredible headache. Charlies heart rate was beginning to drop so they used ventouse, and all this time I was on magnesium and other meds which I am not sure what they were. Afterwards they kept me in for several days because I appeared to have HELLP but after a week symptomes subsided and I got to go home with my baby. Just wanted to share my story because I have not heard of anyone who has had chest / shoulder pains as a symptome of preeclampsia, so if you get this go to the doc straight away!

Thinking about no 2 now, a bit worried but from other posts hopefully this should be ok.

Good luck other with this condition!

It is a good idea to have a blood pressure monitor at home so you can check you BP everyday.

I developed severe pre eclampsia and started fitting during labour after being induced for high blood pressure at 40 +1. I had to have magnesium sulphate and beta blockers in labour and my bp was dreaful - I remember 180/125 but my OH saw higher whilst I was out of it. 5 weeks on from the birth I'm still on beta blockers as my bp went back up 5 days after delivery and I had to readmited to the hospital for 2 more days to get it back under control - it had gone back up to 165/115.

I'd been montiored 2 to 3 times weekly from 33 weeks and looking back I did have very swollen legs and feet that would not go down and a couple of incidences of feeling really strange and unwell but I didn't relate these to pre eclampsia at the time and when I mentioned them the doctor didn't seem concerned. I was really lucky to not develop it severly until the very end and there was no impact on my baby.

Also the midwifes kept asking me about seeing flashing lights and having a severe headache but when I did get ill my vision went really blurred (no flashing lights!) and I had a mild headache but nothing more. It seems that the symptons can vary quite a lot making it hard to be sure if you have pre eclampsia or not until it gets more severe. It has really put me off considering a second baby as I was so unwell and there doesn't seem to be a definate answer about how likely you are to develop it again.

HattieHippo - I'm in the same boat. I had pre-eclampsia with my first and second pregnacies. I have two healthy girls (who were both delivered early.) I have always wanted a big family but I'm just too scared to have anymore. When I'm told that they have found a cure or even a reason for pre eclampsia I will then ttc. However now I'm counting my blessings with two healthy girls.

xx

Hi, I ended up with pre-eclampsia with my first. I was A-symptomatic (aka having no outward sypmtoms to speak of).
Sometime slightly before my 16w scan I started getting some strange back pain but thought nothing of it after telling my midwife and her dismissing it as a normal pregnancy symptom and when I started to 'ballon' with ankles swelling again I didn't think much of it as I was reassured that it was all normal.
During a routine check up at 30/31w pregnant, the midwife couldn't get an accurate measure of the baby from my stomach length so sent me in for a scan just to make sure everything was okay. Plotted it on the growth chart and then they saw that he was rather big for his week gestations so then proceeded to test me for a diabetic pregnancy.
It was only on the off chance that they tested my urine and found traces of protein in it and I was later asked to come into the hospital for more urine tests when I was 33w. I was later admitted that day and doing unrine tests and blood tests for near two weeks, I was also given a steriod injection to help my son's lungs develop as a just in case precaution.
I still felt absolutely fine and couldn't understand why I wasn't even allowed to leave the ward or go home to get my stuff. I hadn't even prepared a hospital bag!!
They decided to book the induction for my son for when I was 36w however the protein levels significantly increased (couldn't infact be any higher!) so I was rushed down on the 9th Dec. Before inducing me I was told I was already 2cm Dilated... nice! It didn't take long though, they popped the pill in at 7pm and let it run it's course then checked in on me at 12.30am, I was dilated enough for them to break my waters. Labour didn't last very long after that, rushed into the delievery room at 1 am ish and by 1.42am he was here, no time for pain relief!!!!
If it wasn't for my parents I'd have struggled with everything you would have normally packed in your hospital bag and then some!

It's only after I had him I noticed how severe the swelling I had was, the back pain also disappeared right after and I soon realised it was a symptom that no one had been paying attention to because it wasn't in the right place to have it.

Things are all good now and he was worth all of the heart ache!!

i know this is an older post but i just thought i would share my story I am not pregnant at the moment but with my DD i suffered from PE SEVERELY i was hospitalized numerous times from about week 30 until i gave birth at 35 weeks....I went in for my checkup at 35 when she took my blood pressure it was 236/172! I had loads of protein in my urine and i couldnt feel my ring finger from my wedding rings because i was sooo swollen....she took me to the hospital herself! she didnt want me driving and she knew i would have to have an emergency c-section my daughter was born about 10 minutes after that BP was taken she was 4lbs 12 oz prefectly fine got to go home with me....but i didnt have headaches or blurry vision my bp is normally 110/70 the only symptom i had was swelling and my bp and protein

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadleyfai
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->