Pre-eclampsia (aka toxemia)

MandaAnda

Reaction score
I'm considered "shared care" between my community midwife/GP surgery and the hospital's antenatal clinic due to fitting into that catagory because 1) my mother suffered from pre-eclampsia in her fourth and final pregnancy (she was 34), which was quite severe, requiring full bed rest from 5-6 months gestation; and 2) this is my first pregnancy (I'm 29).

I've never had a problem with my blood pressure and was quite pleased when I saw my midwife last week that it was 120/65. :happydance:

Is anyone suffering from this? If so, when did it come on? How severe was it (what precautions did you have to take)?

I know there's no way of preventing it, and once you've got it, you've got it until you deliver; but I figured that since it's not too uncommon, it'd be a good thread to have here in this sub-forum.

I'm not sure about your questions, but it is something I am worried about myself, my mum suffered very badly when she had me and I am very worried about history repeating itself. So I hope someone can reassure us xx

I know worrying signs are: puffy face and/or hands, blurred vision and headaches. I've not had any of that so far, apart from the occasional headache.

When I suffered from high blood pressure the main sign something was wrong the morning of my abruption was general ill feeling, headache, and I had this weird pain in between where my rib cage ends under my breasts... it was a very distinct pain and no words to describe it but I knew I had become toxic when I felt that... no doubts there!

My mother also had toxemia very severely with me (her only child). I had high blood pressure when I delivered my first child, but not until 38 weeks. I was put on bedrest for a few days, and then induced when it got I the danger zone. It never progressed to pre-eclampsia. With my second birth, everything was fine.

If you eat a hihg protein, healthy diet during your pregnancy and exercise, both of those things will REALLY help prevent it.

I had high blood pressure from about 20 weeks pregnant. I was on medication and it had been stable for weeks. I was monitored closely, three times a week. I came home from one appointment at the Clinic, and had a brief visual disturbance. I saw an arc of bright lights for 10 minutes. I phoned the Midwife, who said I had to come back in. I debated it, as I was fine that morning and really didn't want to. I went in, and ended up being induced as my previously well controlled BP had really spiked.

I'd advise all at-risk ladies to pay close attention to their symptoms, and don't worry about bothering the Midwife!

When I suffered from high blood pressure the main sign something was wrong the morning of my abruption was general ill feeling, headache, and I had this weird pain in between where my rib cage ends under my breasts... it was a very distinct pain and no words to describe it but I knew I had become toxic when I felt that... no doubts there!

Oh my LORD i remember that pain well. It was absolutly unbearable, and believe it or not, I was getting that 2 weeks or so before I had my little girl :shock:

Sorry in advance for long post!

I had pre eclampsia severely with my daughter and ended up being given a crash section at 32 weeks. My nan on my dads side had severe Pre-E and my mum had it mildly when pregnant with me, too.

I had my daughter January 30th and I vaguely remember starting to feel a bit poorly around November time. It started off with me feeling off-colour, poorly almost. I had an ALMIGHTY headache around christmas, so bad in fact that I stayed in bed with my eyes closed for 2 days solid. Even opening my eyes in a darkened room hurt. I tried to walk to our local shop on day 4 or 5, and had to come back at the end of my road as I was so dizzy and hallucinating.

Over new year, I noticed my ankles were getting swollen. It started at night then gradually getting earlier and earlier till I couldnt get my shoes on for work :shock: I also didnt realise at the time, but my face was swelling, as were my elbows-and frighteningly, my stomach.

The week before I had Brooke,when driving home from work, I had to stop in a layby and take off my trousers to drive home in my knickers as my stomach was so swollen I couldnt breathe in them. I also didnt feel my LO move at all for 3 days solid, which is why I went for the appointment at the hospital the day she was born.

(and bizarrely, I STILL didnt think anything was wrong-freaking DUH!!:dohh:)

To give you an idea of exactly how swollen I was, Im normally a size 8-and when I was taken into hospital I was wearing size 18 trousers. The look of horror that the midwife gave me when I told her my symptoms will haunt me forever. :cry:

Basically ladies, Im just trying to give you the general gist of the symptoms I had. Even if you're unsure, dont feel daft in going to get checked. As a first time mum, I thought what I was experiencing was normal-and it was far from it. Good luck in your pregnancies and hope to be of help.

xx

Very helpful, ladies; thank you. It's really good to have personal experiences of what to look for.

Hi,

I have had pre-eclampsia in all of my pregnancies.

With my first I was really quite poorly from about 30 weeks but as there was no continuity of care no one realised. At 33 weeks I noticed headaches swelling etc, my bp was going up gradually and again no one noticed, it was at this stage that I noticed that in two night I had gone from not having any stretchmarks to having over thirty on my tummy (now know it was cos of how badly I was swelling), at 34 weeks I couldnt walk because the swelling in my legs and feet were so bad, it was agony and I was admitted to hospital, I was sent home the next day (as I was in a different part of the country), at 35 weeks I was feeling sick all the time, the swelling was worse, the headaches were awful, spotted vision, bp was high, so were induced.

My second pregnancy, I was seen only by doctors and I was watched much more closely (from 24 weeks it was twice weekly hospital visits), at 28 weeks bloods showed the pre-eclampsia was back, my blood pressure was shooting up and I was having awful headaches, they put me on one type of betta blockers they made me ill, so swapped to another, we eventually made it to 37 weeks and went to be induced but I was in labour.

My third pregnancy I was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia at 27 weeks. It was managed and then I had the other complications too and Honey was born sleeping.

My fourth pregnancy it was discovered I had a clotting disorder so as usually advised for people who have had pre-eclampsia in previous pregnancies I was put on aspirin, and also clexane (blood thinning injection which was for the clotting disorder), this time the blood pressure and other symptoms began to show at 26 weeks.

Hi ladies!

I suffered from pre-eclampsia in my first pregnancy (although I was having twins so knew I was at higher risk).

I had an emergency c-section 6 weeks ago and my twins were delivered at 31 plus 3 days. My main symptoms were swelling and a pain at the top of my rib cage. To be honest I thought that the swelling was normal for pregnancy and that the pain was just one of the babies pushing against my rib cage, but when I started to feel spaced out at work I went to the doctor just to check that everything was ok. My blood pressure was not elevated but I had significant protein in my urine so was sent to hospital to be checked out.......24 hours later the twins were delivered!!

My advice would be to get checked out if you don't feel right and to look at all of your symptoms together as if the doctors had looked solely at my blood pressure they probably would not have picked up the pre eclampsia as quickly as they did.

Personally in the space of 24 hours my symptoms became significantly worse but I know that for other people they come on very gradually, so just be aware and if you are worried at all speak to your GP or midwife xx

I think I had undiagnosed preeclampsia in my first pregnancy! I also had pain below ribcage,severe swelling of feet and hands...at the 8th months it was actually painful to walk!....

I had PET, I was admitted at 34 weeks and induced at 35. It started around 32 weeks and I was monitored by an OB and my MW regularly. I had swelling etc but otherwise felt fine. In fact I was planning on getting back to work after the first night of my admission and couldn't see what all the fuss was about. I hated sitting in a bed waiting, waiting. My little one was fine, no need for NICU. I had to stay in hospital for 4 or 5 days as it can get worse before it gets better. It took me 3-4months to wean off the meds and I felt fine. I was more concerned about my poor liver and kidneys.

I'm wary of it this pregnancy. My MW is the same one from last time so she knows my history but I'm not going to see an OB unless it starts up. Most of the time you don't get it again but I will have my hospital bag packed by week 34 just in case

Hi everyone my name is Katie. I am 28, mother of 2 with one more bundle on the way. I am not very good at posting in places like these but thought it might put my mind a little more at ease.

I went to the doctor today for my 5 month check up. And things went a little different then before. I gained 12 pounds since the last visit 1 month ago! CRAZY! I have protein in my urine and my blood pressure is higher than normal.

I was looking around online and only found articles that scare me. The articles are talking about the silent killer and things like that. I was wondering if anyone is or has dealt with this in thier pregnancy.

The only thing I can complain about this pregnancy is exhaustion. I have to take a nap during the day. Other than that this has been my easiest pregnancy. Any and all advice would be helpful. Thanks

Oh and to top it all off I am only 21 weeks acording to my dates and sonogram but am measuring at 24 weeks?

Hi everyone my name is Katie. I am 28, mother of 2 with one more bundle on the way. I am not very good at posting in places like these but thought it might put my mind a little more at ease.

I went to the doctor today for my 5 month check up. And things went a little different then before. I gained 12 pounds since the last visit 1 month ago! CRAZY! I have protein in my urine and my blood pressure is higher than normal.

I was looking around online and only found articles that scare me. The articles are talking about the silent killer and things like that. I was wondering if anyone is or has dealt with this in thier pregnancy.

The only thing I can complain about this pregnancy is exhaustion. I have to take a nap during the day. Other than that this has been my easiest pregnancy. Any and all advice would be helpful. Thanks

Oh and to top it all off I am only 21 weeks acording to my dates and sonogram but am measuring at 24 weeks?

Hi there. There are some scary articles around but the best thing about having pre-ecclampsia is that you are heavily monitored. I had it for about a week before I was admitted and i thought they must have been really desperate for patients if they wanted me to stay in. I didn't feel sick at all. I wasn't silly enough to refuse treatment but I did wonder what all the fusswas about. Some people get sick quickly and deteriorate fast (like overnight) and some people are more like me and get worse over a week or two, maybe even longer. As long as your bloods are getting monitored, your bp is taken regularly and they scan you to make surethe placenta is working fine then you will be ok. The drs will admit you or induce you if required but there are lots of interventions they can try first like medications etc.

It is worrying that your symptoms are showing as early as 21 weeks though and there is evidence to suggest that the earlier you develop PET in your pregnancy, the more likely you are to have it in future pregnancies.

The risks are to your organs and high BP can cauase the placenta to sheer off the side of the uterus/damage the placenta. Generally thsi is when there is a major jump in BP. Mine was 120/7? at booking and at 32 weeks starting heading up around 150/95 - 160/115. I was admitted and had some higher BPs but was given loadsd of meds to keep it down. Every few days it climbed and they added more meds until I was getting readings of 165/120 with all the many meds. Then they induced as I my kidneys were starting to suffer. My protein/creatinine ratios went from 30 at 32 week to over 900 at 35 weeks. (It's supposed to be under 18).

Treatment and interventions are decided upon by using your BP results, blood test results (liver and kidney fiunction tests) and physical sypmtons along with bubs progress. If your baby is happy and placenta is all good, your kidneys and liver are doing ok but your bp is up, they are unlikey to take action. I hope things work out ok for you.

Hi ladies, I too suffered from PE with my daughter. Symptoms I had were a terrible headache and extreme swelling of my whole body- so much so that I have stretch marks everywhere just from the swelling. My reflexes were also checked and found to be highly affected which indicated there was swelling in the brain, so I was immediately induced.
Other signs they found was protein in urine and sky high bp which was 190/110 at time of induction....it had been creepng up and was not controlled by drugs.

hth xxx

oh yeah, I forgot about the reflex tests they did.

Hi Ladies,

I had PE with my daughter (she's now nearly 3) and am pretty worried about getting it again. Basically I started getting high BP and protein +2 or +3 in my urine from 30 weeks. I also had headaches and swelling.. my feet swelled from a 5 to a 7! I had two short stays in hospital for monitoring and luckily I made it to 38 weeks before they induced me. My daughter was born at 38+2 after a long induction process. she got into distress and a consultant was called to deliver her by ventouse. They discovered after she was born that my placenta had already started to break down (apparently a common occurance in PE) and the cord snapped so it had to be removed manually. Also my daughter was quite a low birth weight (6lb 1oz) which is supposed to be another indicator of PE.

This pregnancy I am seeing both midwife and the consultant... the midwife has to check my blood pressure fortnightly from 24 weeks, and I will be seeing the consultant every fortnight from 28 weeks. I am also being referred for growth scans of the baby and 28, 32 and 36 weeks to make sure its not too small again and to keep an eye on my placenta.

Good luck to those all those worried about PE

Dee x

I had severe Pre eclampsia with my daughter it came on in a matter of hours. At 10pm i was fine and at 12am (2 hours later) i had the most unbareble pain above my ribcage and in between my shoulder blades i was throwing up for about 20 minutes and i kept seeing little dots and my temp was through the roof.

When i eventually went to hospital at 1:30am they took my bp which was 165/197 and i was shaking. I was told eclampsia was about to kick in and to stay calm while they tried to stop it. Lckily they got the magnisium/sulphur in me just in time and i didn't start fitting.

I was told that if i had left it another 30 minutes i would have had a still born and i would have died myself.

My reflexs were extremely sharp for days and i wasn't allowed out of my bed for 5 days. I was told my brain had started to swell and that's why i was shaking but i didn't know that had to do with my reflexs until i've just read it on here.

I also got HELLP Syndrome which made it a hundred times worse but the main thing is we both made it through the other end.

Good luck! :)

Oh my LORD i remember that pain well. It was absolutly unbearable, and believe it or not, I was getting that 2 weeks or so before I had my little girl :shock:

Sorry in advance for long post!

I had pre eclampsia severely with my daughter and ended up being given a crash section at 32 weeks. My nan on my dads side had severe Pre-E and my mum had it mildly when pregnant with me, too.

I had my daughter January 30th and I vaguely remember starting to feel a bit poorly around November time. It started off with me feeling off-colour, poorly almost. I had an ALMIGHTY headache around christmas, so bad in fact that I stayed in bed with my eyes closed for 2 days solid. Even opening my eyes in a darkened room hurt. I tried to walk to our local shop on day 4 or 5, and had to come back at the end of my road as I was so dizzy and hallucinating.

Over new year, I noticed my ankles were getting swollen. It started at night then gradually getting earlier and earlier till I couldnt get my shoes on for work :shock: I also didnt realise at the time, but my face was swelling, as were my elbows-and frighteningly, my stomach.

The week before I had Brooke,when driving home from work, I had to stop in a layby and take off my trousers to drive home in my knickers as my stomach was so swollen I couldnt breathe in them. I also didnt feel my LO move at all for 3 days solid, which is why I went for the appointment at the hospital the day she was born.

(and bizarrely, I STILL didnt think anything was wrong-freaking DUH!!:dohh:)

To give you an idea of exactly how swollen I was, Im normally a size 8-and when I was taken into hospital I was wearing size 18 trousers. The look of horror that the midwife gave me when I told her my symptoms will haunt me forever. :cry:

Basically ladies, Im just trying to give you the general gist of the symptoms I had. Even if you're unsure, dont feel daft in going to get checked. As a first time mum, I thought what I was experiencing was normal-and it was far from it. Good luck in your pregnancies and hope to be of help.

xx

I had bad swelling as well! Not like you did, but at my baby shower my friend (she told me this a while later) noticed my nose was even massive! My feet didn't swell much though, but the rest of me did!

i had a c section because of this, at 8.5 months. i had high blood pressure and something high in my urine? God im useless! i had to avoid salt and take a pill every day..cant even remember what it was something with an m? i had to do blood tests often and urine tests, it wasnt serious with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadleyfai
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->