Pre-eclampsia, did you get it again?

Ladies, I posted on this thread quite a while ago, but just wanted to check in again.

Our son has just turned 3 and we are discussing having another. I had pre-eclampsia and a very traumatic labour and I had put a lot of the feelings I had about this to bed following a debrief with the consultant and counselling sessions. However, at this time, I really didnt ever think I'd consider another, so I didnt really deal with how I'd handle another labour.

A lot of the complications arose because of the pre-eclampsia which is why I think it ended up particularly traumatic. I know there is a chance I might get it again but I also know that I will be more closely monitored the next time.

I'd just be grateful for a few stories from some members that were in the same boat where they had pre-eclampsia the first time, and perhaps a traumatic labour, and what happened the next time around.

Many thanks!

big hugs hun. I have been where you have been (my complications werent caused by the pre-e though)

I was petrified of giving birth again so i opted for a c-section and was granted on the ground of i was still emotionally distressed from my birth birth. no pre-e :D just my bp slightly raising and having multiple bloods done a week to make sure pre-e didnt start.

with my third i planned a VBAC but he decided to go against the grain and my waters went at 2:30 at 36+5 and nothing happened after that so had another section. no pre-e again :) xx

big hugs hun. I have been where you have been (my complications werent caused by the pre-e though)

I was petrified of giving birth again so i opted for a c-section and was granted on the ground of i was still emotionally distressed from my birth birth. no pre-e :D just my bp slightly raising and having multiple bloods done a week to make sure pre-e didnt start.

with my third i planned a VBAC but he decided to go against the grain and my waters went at 2:30 at 36+5 and nothing happened after that so had another section. no pre-e again :) xx

How did you find having the section. Was it a relief to know that you werent going to have to go through labour and was there any element of regret in having the section afterwards.

I had a traumatic vaginal delivery with my first. I agree with you preeclampsia makes things more traumatic. I felt so fearful with #2. I simply couldn't picture myself giving birth again. I was offered an elective section but I was still thinking about what I wanted to do when my baby was breech and decided for me! My hospital doesn't allow vaginal breech births. I was very very glad I had a c section. It was so different from my first birth. Very calm and made me feel better about everything. I had no complications, no preeclampsia with #2.

Make sure with #2 you find a supportive dr or midwife. I think that made the biggest difference. My ob with #2 was very kind and compassionate after what I went through with my first and was always reassuring and helped me feel better about every concern I had.

Oh and as far as regrets, I haven't had any. I mean there were times I was mildly frustrated at how long it was taking to recover but it really wasn't bad and I never wished I didn't have a c section. I think factoring in emotional recovery and also things like hemorrhaging 3 weeks later and having a d&c to remove retained placenta, my first recovery took a lot longer.

I had a traumatic first labour in part due to the pre-eclampsia. With my second I actually got pre-eclampsia earlier than my first, they said that's rare though, however because we were watched more closely and therefore it never got really scary. Went into be induced at 37 weeks, whilst waiting for a bed I had my first contract, ninety minutes later I was holding her :)

How did you find having the section. Was it a relief to know that you werent going to have to go through labour and was there any element of regret in having the section afterwards.

they were fab hun. I would 100% choose a sectin over my vaginal birth any day. the second one took a bit longer but baby got stuck under my ribs so they had a job getting him out. It was so nice having a date etc and not having to worry about the What ifs of natural labour. I kinda regretted not having a vaginal with my 3rd while i was being prepped BUT my strep B results came back positive the same day and baby was born blotchy and grunting so i think it was him telling me something was wrong xx

Ladies, I'm very early pregnant with #2. I havent been in touch with my GP yet as I'm only 4 weeks but am wondering if maybe I should be in case they need to get a base blood pressure reading or something. Anyone have any idea? I was just thinking of self referring to MW and seeing her at 8 weeks. Will I need to see a Dr earlier.

Id go asap as some doctors like you on baby aspirin as early as possible. Congratulations xx

I agree - see if you need to be on aspirin and also getting early bp readings are really good info for them to know your base reading and just to make sure it's ok. I had to have my meds adjusted at 9 weeks (I have bp issues anyway though)

I agree with the other ladies go and get asprin, i had pre eclampsia both of my pregnancys, the sooner you get seen and monitored the better !

I got PreE with my second even though I didn't have it with my first. Luckily I didn't start to develop it until 38 weeks and I was induced at 39w6d when my liver and kidneys started to fail and my protein spiked. Now pregnant with number 3 and on daily asprin. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again

Hi all. Just thought I'd update. I saw my midwife this morning for the first time. My booking in BP with my son was 90/50 and my BP today was 120/88. She said that it isnt concerning under normal circumstances but because of my history, she does worry about the bottom number as there is not much room for it to rise without being too high.

She said it isnt higher due to the pregnancy, that is just what it settled at when I had my son. I was just wondering if any of you experienced anything similar?

hi I got pre e 2 years ago gave birth at 32 weeks exactly, also had iugr
Severe swelling was first sign, then high bp and protein. docs kept me going 2 weeks before emcs
Im not 25+5wks, slightly high bp last week, no protein, no swelling, im just wondering based on last time, if I have no swelling, is that a good sign? im getting bp checked in 2 days time and im so scared that its going to be through the roof, il have protein and be admitted to hospital again like last time. im praying that since I have no swelling like I did last time then things might be ok??

Hi Lilly....unfortunately preeclampsia is really unpredictable! It seems like a good sign if you're not swelling, but when I was induced with severe preeclampsia I had no swelling. So it's not always an indication. How was your appointment? Thinking of you :)

Hi Lilly....unfortunately preeclampsia is really unpredictable! It seems like a good sign if you're not swelling, but when I was induced with severe preeclampsia I had no swelling. So it's not always an indication. How was your appointment? Thinking of you :)

It is. I had very minimal swelling, less than that of people who don't have pre-e, you know? No pitting edema, no headaches, no vision disturbances, no real signs, but my 24 hour urine came back so severe they induced within 2 hours of getting the results at 33 weeks.

Try not to stress though as stressing about my BP made it go up all the time at the doctors with my second, but I never had protein in my urine.

App didnt go so well bp was high so got sent to hospital where they took it again 4 times over an hour and each time it was great, absolutely fine and very normal
ive only ever had 2 bad readings this pg and both were using that machine at that docs with that midwife
no protein at all.no swelling.last time had the whole lot, horrific swelling, protein and very high bp.
just got a very dull headache at the moment that i cant seem to shake off.but if bps not high then im gona try not to worry about it too much x

I think all of us on this thread can sympathize with the worry and stress! I'd recommend trying to do things to reduce your stress. I got severe migraines with vision problems last pregnancy because I was so so so stressed over getting preeclampsia again! Like misspriss said, the only thing making my bp high was me freaking out! Sorry the machine must be a dud at your mw! Hopefully you can relax and get rid of that headache :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->