Pre-eclampsia, did you get it again?

Torres

Reaction score
I developed severe pre-e and HELLP syndrome with my daughter. It took me 4 years to even consider having another child, I am now 25 weeks pregnant. OBGYN told me that u have about a 10% chance of it happening again. From what I have been reading, it seems a higher risk than that! So, I want to do my own little study on here.
What week did you develop pre-e (and HELLP if you developed it)?
When did you deliver?
Have/did you develop it/them again in subsequent pregnancy(ies)?
What week did it develop?
When did you deliver? Or if you have it now, what's the plan for delivery?

I guess I will answer my own post.

I developed pre-e at 34 weeks. It turned severe at 37 1/2.
I wasn't induced until 38 weeks 3 days.
I developed HELLP 12-24 hours after birth. Blood work didn't go back to normal for 2 weeks, BP didn't go back to normal until 3 months later.
So far at 25 weeks pregnant with my second, everything is fine.

What week did you develop pre-e: i dont know as i wasnt told I had it until 1 year later when i got a report on the birth through new hospital.
When did you deliver? 40+6
Have/did you develop it/them again in subsequent pregnancy(ies)? I am now getting symptoms.... increasing BP, slight swelling.
What week did it develop? 25
When did you deliver? Or if you have it now, what's the plan for delivery? No plan as of yet

I developed mild pre e at 28 weeks pregnant with first pregnancy. Was admitted to hospital at 34.5 weeks and induced at 36+3 and delivered at 36+6 by emergency section. My blood pressure spiked a few days after the birth but I didn't develop HELLP syndrome.

I am currently 33 weeks pregnant and although I am now on a low dose Labetalol and daily asprin for High Blood Pressure and have some swelling, blood work is all normal and I have no protein in my urine so far!!

For ths one, my plan is to deliver as normal unless health changes.

Hope this helps xx

Sethsmummy - I can't believe no one told you about your pre-e! I found out about my daughters should dystocia the same way (years later when I ordered the hospital reports to see the progression of pre-e and HELLP). It makes me angry that health are providers would keep such important info from us!
What's your Bp at now?

Broodyc - When did they put you on lebatalol and aspirin? I've been on low dose aspirin since TTC again.
I assume your bp is elevated, how much?

I was put on Labetalol again this time at 31.5 weeks and have been on low dose aspirin since 12 weeks purely as a precaution.

2 weeks ago when I was put on Labetalol, my blood pressure was consistently around 140/90 mark. I had awful headaches the previous 2 nights also. No protein though which is a positive :)

Xx

Sethsmummy - I can't believe no one told you about your pre-e! I found out about my daughters should dystocia the same way (years later when I ordered the hospital reports to see the progression of pre-e and HELLP). It makes me angry that health are providers would keep such important info from us!
What's your Bp at now?

Broodyc - When did they put you on lebatalol and aspirin? I've been on low dose aspirin since TTC again.

oh my gosh hun thats really bad. My hospital were just shocking though they have just been on panorama about the maternity ward ont hat how safe is your hospital. They were incompetant so and so's. I didnt even get told the proper effects jaundice could have on my little one untill he was a week old.

My bp as of yesterday was 156/88 and iv had constant protein in my urine for the last week (not tested it today yet). Its slowly rose from 128/52 (i think thats what my first one was) I'm on aspirin also and have been since 16 weeks.. damn horrid tasting stuff lol My pulse is also still up over the 100 mark.. yesterday it was 112 (was 106 at my ecg) xxx

What's your Bp at now?

oh my gosh hun thats really bad. My hospital were just shocking though they have just been on panorama about the maternity ward ont hat how safe is your hospital. They were incompetant so and so's. I didnt even get told the proper effects jaundice could have on my little one untill he was a week old.

My bp as of yesterday was 156/88 and iv had constant protein in my urine for the last week (not tested it today yet). Its slowly rose from 128/52 (i think thats what my first one was) I'm on aspirin also and have been since 16 weeks.. damn horrid tasting stuff lol My pulse is also still up over the 100 mark.. yesterday it was 112 (was 106 at my ecg) xxx

Sethsmummy, I feel the same about the aspirin as its dissolvable but I was told by consultant to just swallow tablet whole as it'll just dissolve in tummy and has same effect. Works for me lol xx

:o i wasnt told i could do that! I might give that a go.. as long as it doesn't start dissolving on my tongue i will be ok :haha: xx

:o i wasnt told i could do that! I might give that a go.. as long as it doesn't start dissolving on my tongue i will be ok :haha: xx

Yeah, I just hold tablet between my teeth then let it go when I take a big swig of water and its away. Much better than drinking it once dissolved in water :haha:

Xx

Yeah, I just hold tablet between my teeth then let it go when I take a big swig of water and its away. Much better than drinking it once dissolved in water :haha:

Xx

I think im going to give that a try today lol. It almost makes me sick drinking it in water. Thank you so much for the tip! xx

Xx

I think im going to give that a try today lol. It almost makes me sick drinking it in water. Thank you so much for the tip! xx

Your welcome hunny xx

omg almost forgot to take it till i saw reply :s oops i think i need to set an alarm to remind me to take it every day. x

EDIT: omg it works... thank you so much no more yucky taste and trying not to be sick :D

It is horrid tasting isn't it? My dr recommended an orange flavoured chewable - disgusting! I too swallow it whole.

it really is.. and it doesnt matter how much water you use to dissolve it in it tastes just as bad. I was using diluting orange juice but it still didn't work. I am so glad i know now you can swallow it whole :D xx

Hi there, I think your OB is being somewhat conservative seeing as you developed hellp. If it were straight PE maybe as it was in the later stages it became an issue but with the hellp I think your chances are higher. I will answer your questions for my children too

FIRST

Got high BPs at 30-31 weeks, protein at 33 and admitted at 34.
Delivered at 35
Yes, in all of my subsequent pregnancies
#2 - 33 weeks it started, never got medicated until post partum but was induced at 38 weeks.
# 3 - started at 22 weeks, managed with BP meds, spilling protein on and off but blood work changes around my 36th week and was induced - baby was 36+6.
#4 - started at 17 weeks, managed on BP meds, spilling protein consistently at 32 weeks. Will wait and see but thinking I will get to 36 at least. Baby is breech still so may be an induction if she turns or section if not,

Wow nov_mom, 4 pregnancies with pre-e! And each time earlier than the last. How high have your pressures been? How were all your deliveries? Did you need magnesium sulfate for any of them?
It does calm me knowing that you've had successfully managed pre-e pregnancies!

Wow nov_mom, 4 pregnancies with pre-e! And each time earlier than the last. How high have your pressures been? How were all your deliveries? Did you need magnesium sulfate for any of them?
It does calm me knowing that you've had successfully managed pre-e pregnancies!

I am lucky in that aside from the first time, I am a slow burner when it comes to PE. My three labours so far have been inductions, gels only except for my third which required syntocin iv. All of my labours were relatively quick, my longest was 2.25hrs once established. Of course the getting in to labour took some time, over 24hrs with my first. Pressures have ranged from 130/80's to 180/117 which was probably my highest. I was told that optimally to keep them just below 140/90. I never had to have mag sulfate thank goodness, just labetalol and nifedipine. TRied methyldopa once and it was awful.

My OB said that pre-e happens in a lot of first time pregnancies. I developed pre-e at 35 weeks 2 days with my first son, and they are not worried about me this pregnancy. I had it pretty late in my pregnancy too, so I don't know if that changes anything. Obviously, they said I have about a 15% chance that I will have pre-e again, but they will take it as it comes b/c as of right now everything is fine. I also had low platelets in my last pregnancy, but wasn't diagnosed with Hellp.

I have read that the later you develop pre-e, the lesser chance you have of getting it again. I think I'm so freaked because of the HELLP syndrome.
My bp averages in the 90's over 50's. Last night I took my bp and almost puked when it was 117/73. I understand that is still considered a good bp, but that is much higher than my average. I told myself to shut it, had a cup of peppermint tea and decided I would take it in the morning while I was nice and relaxed. Well, my DD has been up since 1:30 with a stomache bug, so I don't know how relaxed I'll be when I get around to taking it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->