Pre natal vitamins

gidge

Reaction score
Are you all taking pre natal vitamins? I just went to the doctors yesterday and she said I only needed folic acid but I´m thinking I might go and look in the Pharmacy. I didn´t with my DD but I´m still breastfeeding so thinking I might need the extra help. It´s the size and taste that puts me off :wacko:

Yep, I take prenatal vits as well as obviously trying to get a nutritious diet. I think it's impossible to get all of your nutritional needs when pregnant on a daily basis without using prenatal vits, especially if you get MS/nausea/bad food aversions!

I was trying to eat super healthy, but there are some occasions where it's just impossible and I'm glad I have my prenatal vitamins as an insurance/back up :)

I also take Omega 3 with over 300mg of DHA as that is meant to help make clever babies, and the poor thing will need to get all the help it can with parents like DH and I :haha:

Hahaha I didn´t know that, I might have to check out the Omega 3 too!!!;)

Yeah i take them and did with DD1 too. They constipate a lot of people I know but thankfully I'm ok lol x

Congrats on your second pregnancy!

I'm taking a prenatal daily. They recommend them because it significantly reduces the chances your baby will get spina bifida. I take the vitamins, simply because it's a simple way to avoid such a terrible birth defect. The risk isn't worth it.

I started taking Emerald Prenatals.

If possible, you should take folate/5-methyl over folic acid. Studies have shown some major risks of taking folic acid (the synthetic form of B9) and folate is metabolized far easier than it.

I took and am taking Jamieson prenatals. The slight taste if them is minty.

If possible, you should take folate/5-methyl over folic acid. Studies have shown some major risks of taking folic acid (the synthetic form of B9) and folate is metabolized far easier than it.

Although that should be weighed against the risk of not getting enough dietary folate and receiving a 'not compatible with life' diagnosis at 12 or 20 weeks. Folic acid is readily available, cheap and saves lives.

I'm taking pregnacare. My doc and midwife both said all I really needed is vit D and folic acid but to be honest I can take all the goodness I can get cos I'm not eating a whole lot :sick:

I was worrying at first cos this pregnancy took me by surprise that I wasn't already taking folic acid but I guess that happens in a lot of cases x

^^ wss - I was told folic acid and Vit D were all I needed - I take a prenatal anyway as it had both in xx

I'm taking pregnacare. My doc and midwife both said all I really needed is vit D and folic acid but to be honest I can take all the goodness I can get cos I'm not eating a whole lot :sick:

I was worrying at first cos this pregnancy took me by surprise that I wasn't already taking folic acid but I guess that happens in a lot of cases x

Hey, are u in uk ?? This is what I was told too ! But im taking pregnacare as im not eating a lot x

Hey, are u in uk ?? This is what I was told too ! But im taking pregnacare as im not eating a lot x

Yeah I'm in the UK. I figure it's worth buying an all rounder. Some days I can eat others I can't and it seems to be getting worse!! X

Although that should be weighed against the risk of not getting enough dietary folate and receiving a 'not compatible with life' diagnosis at 12 or 20 weeks. Folic acid is readily available, cheap and saves lives.

??

Folate is absorbed much better than folic acid (much more crosses over into the placenta --- at least according to studies [folic acid oft doesn't even get metabolized and accumulates in the blood stream]). Yes folic acid is cheaper, but folate is readily available within prenatals too (not just food sources), usually whole food prenatals/vitamins. But I did state "if possible", because it is more expensive (but still more ideal).

However I do thinking taking folic acid supplements in order to ensure adequate intakes of B9, as opposed to taking nothing at all, is better (unless someone has a really good diet rich in B9 etc and a healthy digestive system [but still would be a personal choice]).

Of course I'm not disputing that Folate is metabolised better, I just think that stating there are 'major risks of taking folic acid' without elaborating or providing a source is a bit dangerous.

Hey, I don't think folic is the holy grail - doctors think I don't metabolise it at all well myself, hence my daughter's death - but for those on a budget or without a 'whole foods' store on their high street and without an underlying condition which high doses of folic may mask the symptoms of, it is agreed worldwide as the easiest way to protect babies. I just don't want anyone else to see what I had to see on that ultrasound.

Of course I'm not disputing that Folate is metabolised better, I just think that stating there are 'major risks of taking folic acid' without elaborating or providing a source is a bit dangerous.

Hey, I don't think folic is the holy grail - doctors think I don't metabolise it at all well myself, hence my daughter's death - but for those on a budget or without a 'whole foods' store on their high street and without an underlying condition which high doses of folic may mask the symptoms of, it is agreed worldwide as the easiest way to protect babies. I just don't want anyone else to see what I had to see on that ultrasound.

Well, first of all, :hugs:. Second of all, :hugs:.

I didn't understand what you meant. Now I feel bad :nope:.

The risks I learned about had to do with an individual's long-term health; I do agree the synthetic form is still better than nothing for baby's health (Folic Acid and Folates by Gerald Litwack is highly informative, then there are articles online [Harvard health medical has a fairly detailed one, "The ups and downs of folic acid fortification"]). Also I apologize for treading on a delicate spot.

And finally, more :hugs:.

Thanks for the hugs, and for the links I will defo have a read. I've always wondered why the UK doesn't fortify food like the US so I hope that will answer some of my questions :)

Apologies for going off at the deep end, but anything that may put people off taking their FA sends a shiver down my spine. Congratulations on reaching 2nd tri! :hugs:

I am taking seven seas I think they are.. Prenatals!

I am being and feeling very sicky.. The only thing I can keep down is green beans .. At least it's A veg I guess! I can't live off them though! ;)

i take pregnacare original daily as it has all the vitamins u need,doctor told me these were ok.
happy and healthy 9 months to all. :baby::happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->