Pre natal vitamins

So question... I didn't know there was a difference in folate and folic acid... I just looked at my vitamins and extra folic acid pill.. my prenatals say folic acid... my extra supplement I take says folate as folic acid... help me understand the difference... I guess I'm covered since I'm taking both???

Up until most of last week, I was taking prenatals like a champ. Last week, I took them once. Was tok tired to remember them!:(

This week I am bringing them back to work with me and it'll be even harder to forget them now! Mwahahaha ;)

11weeks and 3 days

So question... I didn't know there was a difference in folate and folic acid... I just looked at my vitamins and extra folic acid pill.. my prenatals say folic acid... my extra supplement I take says folate as folic acid... help me understand the difference... I guess I'm covered since I'm taking both???

Folate is the naturally-occurring vitamin B9, found in foods such as pulses, asparagus and green leafy veg. Folic acid is an engineered version which is turned into Folate (dihydrafolate I think) by the liver.

Obviously as folate is natural it is the form best taken by the body. Most prenatals contain folic acid.

So, both folate and folic (once the latter has been converted in the liver) work towards preventing NTDs in the unborn child.**
Most people - even those without ms - won't get the recommended amount of folate through their modern Western diet, so supplementation in some form is absolutely necessary. I'll be honest though, here in the UK I have never seen folate instead of folic in a supplement.

From what I have read quickly today, the concerns appear to centre around longterm (ie lifelong) supplementation and fortification with folic acid. In the US fortification of food is mandatory, but in the UK it is not and we are subjected to much less dietary synthetic folic acid than our American friends. When not ttc or pregnant, dietary natural folate should provide enough B9 for a normal person and so folic acid supplements are not required.

**As an aside following Ruby's passing we participated in a clinical trial called PONTI - Prevention of Neural Tube Defects by Inositol, the theory being that Inositol (another B vitamin) may do a similar job on baby's neural tube in those of us who don't respond well to folic acid. Currently awaiting the results, but we got DS out of it :)

I've wibbled on again, sorry! How's this:
Folate = natural.
Folic = synthetic!

Really? I didn't just confuse you even more?! :haha:
I've just reworded a couple of bits too.

Lol, nope... clear as mud hehehe jk.. Thank you!!

I take pregnacare, only started them yesterday, but I am determined to stay healthy :)

Here the Drs say you only need folic acid. I take pregnacare + an iron (with folic acid) supplement as I am anemic.

I took prenatals throughout my first pregnancy as I wanted to make sure that the LO had all the nutrients as I was not eating well. I only started taking omega3 from 6 months when the brain started to develop. Prenatals are reputed to reduce the risk of prematurity and in general make bigger babies which I can attest to as LO was much bigger at birth than predicted.

As for more intelligent.... can't really tell as my OH is pretty well furnished in the head department!

Just thought I'd chip in quickly. I study nutrition but I am not qualified yet so do not take me too seriously!

However I have some basic knowledge that I thought it was worth sharing..

It's important to let you know that it is possible to have too much of a good thing. Certain vitamins in excess amount can be harmful, the rest are wasted as they are peed away. Unless advised to by your Doctor, do not take more supplements than recommended. (ie what is said on the box most of the time.)

In case any of you have allergies, I have started taking Solgar prenatals which have incredible reviews online. They are wheat free and lactose free (and on top of that, contain calcium which is essential during pregnancy but not in many other mainstream prenatals). However if you can get calcium through your diet, not so essential. You have to take four a day, but they are a nice size to swallow.

Wherever possible, it is beneficial to try and consume all your nutrients in their natural form (on top of taking your prenatal). Of course this isn't practical for most people, but a small measure you can try to take is to try and get your rainbow. If you have a banana with breakfast, have some berries at lunch. Or better still, try and make a smoothie in the morning for a nutritional powerhouse start to the day! Try and get some greens in the evening, with some tomatoes on the side. Each different colour comes with different benefits which is why it's important to keep it varied, and if there's one thing I must emphasise, it's to eat your greens!

Another tip, is where you feel cravings for naughty things, try to see what it is your body is asking for. If you are craving jelly beans, see if a satsuma will fill the hole (for your sugar fix). If you are craving lots of pasta, try to throw on some mushrooms or something of nutritional value so you are not filling yourself with (almost) empty nutrients.

Hope those words can help people a bit. Of course if you have MS it's no biggy that you are only able to keep down crackers and prenatals. You'll have time later to load up on the good stuff.

Folate is the naturally-occurring vitamin B9, found in foods such as pulses, asparagus and green leafy veg. Folic acid is an engineered version which is turned into Folate (dihydrafolate I think) by the liver.

Obviously as folate is natural it is the form best taken by the body. Most prenatals contain folic acid.

So, both folate and folic (once the latter has been converted in the liver) work towards preventing NTDs in the unborn child.**
Most people - even those without ms - won't get the recommended amount of folate through their modern Western diet, so supplementation in some form is absolutely necessary. I'll be honest though, here in the UK I have never seen folate instead of folic in a supplement.

From what I have read quickly today, the concerns appear to centre around longterm (ie lifelong) supplementation and fortification with folic acid. In the US fortification of food is mandatory, but in the UK it is not and we are subjected to much less dietary synthetic folic acid than our American friends. When not ttc or pregnant, dietary natural folate should provide enough B9 for a normal person and so folic acid supplements are not required.

**As an aside following Ruby's passing we participated in a clinical trial called PONTI - Prevention of Neural Tube Defects by Inositol, the theory being that Inositol (another B vitamin) may do a similar job on baby's neural tube in those of us who don't respond well to folic acid. Currently awaiting the results, but we got DS out of it :)

Folate = natural.
Folic = synthetic!

Sorry it was a bit confusing to me. So if a vitamin says "folate (as folic acid)" does that mean natural or synthetic?

I started taking prenatals when ttc, continued while pregnant, while breastfeeding etc. My friend had a baby with anencephaly and she is always telling people to just take folate during all childbearing years because by the time some women find out they are pregnant (or go to the doctor to get vitamins) it is too late for folate to be as helpful.

Folate = natural.
Folic = synthetic!

Sorry it was a bit confusing to me. So if a vitamin says "folate (as folic acid)" does that mean natural or synthetic?

I would read that as synthetic, hon.

I started taking prenatals when ttc, continued while pregnant, while breastfeeding etc. My friend had a baby with anencephaly and she is always telling people to just take folate during all childbearing years because by the time some women find out they are pregnant (or go to the doctor to get vitamins) it is too late for folate to be as helpful.

As a mummy in the same position I also advocate this. If there's any chance of an oopsie it would significantly reduce the risk, because the neural tube is already closed by the time accidental pregnancy is usually confirmed.

I'd be interested to see more studies around this potential colorectal cancer risk, too.

As with many things in life, we can't do right for doing wrong! It's like how you should eat eggs and fish to be healthy - but not too much of either!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->