pre-seed vs canola oil?

ptr

Mom to Calliope & Diony<3
Reaction score
read some reviews on pre-seed and noticed a lot of people have been saying to use canola oil instead of pre-seed cuz its cheaper and does the same thing (oil is more friendlier than pre-seed and less sticky/tacky).. but CANOLA OIL!?!?!? it seems absurd? i don't know.. has anyone tried canola oil and pre-seed and can comment about which is better/worked? there have also been comments about pre-seed causing a good percentage of chemical pregnancies so that's kind of putting me off.

thoughts?

No I've never tried this, but now you're giving me ideas! lol.

I would try it one cycle. I mean it couldn't hurt? Right?

exactly!! i want to research more on canola oil but i HAVE to do homework... drats!!!

if you end up doing your own research, do let me know what you find and I will come back to this thread when im done with homework after a while! :D

it sounds absurd at first, yes.... but maybe something natural, like canola oil would be the better option... i mean we never ever know what kind of chemicals we are putting into our bodies, at least we would know where the canola comes from?

i tried preseed last cycle for the first time and 99% sure had a chemical... where did you read that they are linked!!?? i'm super stressed now!! because i don't get very good quality cm so the preseed obviously helped, but then it didn't stick... surely that's just a nonsense statistic!!??

i think my hubby's thingie wouldn't be able to get hard if I used cooking oil :shrug:

I haven't heard of Canola Oil. I did hear of women using Real Egg Whites!!! I am trying Pre-seed this month. If it doesn't work, or causing a chemical- I will try egg whites within the next few months!!

It's not risky to try real egg whites? Due to salmonella poisoning? I'm just saying.

i heard you can use egg whites. Why anyone would want to when there's a couple of brands of lube you can use i don't know¬!!??

i think people are trying to use the preseed to get pregnant when they haven't got a problem with ewcm.. that's the reason for using it! I wasn't "messy" and DH loved it, he could get in without hurting either of us! (sorry if tmi!) but it made bd'ing easier and much more enjoyable, especially without me screaming "don't you DARE put spit near your swimmers!!!!" :haha:

eeeeeekkkk... i would choose canola oil over egg whites any day. oil i wouldn't mind trying but egg whites would be going a bit too far for me.

and i just tested out a drop of the canola oil and rubbed it between my fingers it feels the same as ky lube or any other type of lube, I honestly can't tell any difference, just the smell that's all! just tell your DH it's a special lube and he wouldn't know any difference? LOL

Here's info i just found...

---------------------------------------

These self reported findings include: 31% of respondents became pregnant using PreSeed.

This broke down into pregnancies in:
30% of couples who had been trying for 0- 2 months;
40% of couples trying for 3-6 months;
23% of couples trying for 7-12 months; and
31% of couples trying for one year or more.

This is in comparison to population studies suggesting a maximum pregnancy rate per cycle of 30% in presumed &#8220;fertile&#8221; couples over the first 2 cycles which then declines over the following cycles (Zinaman et al. Fert Ster 1996).

65% of these became pregnant in the first two cycles of use, and 35% became pregnant after 3 or more cycles of use. 51% of our users started using PreSeed after they had been trying to conceive for 7 or more months, and 54% of all folks who became pregnant had been trying to conceive for 7 or more months before they started using PreSeed.

The pregnancies reported resulted in: 17% a boy, 19% a girl, 35% reported no gender,29% had a lost pregnancy (miscarriage), including early &#8220;chemical&#8221; losses. The gender difference is likely not significant. The miscarriage rate is very consistent with pregnancy losses reported in other studies (31% - Wilcox et al, NEJM, 1988; 33% - Wang et al Fert Ster, 2003).

25% of all couples using PreSeed had undiagnosed infertility, 26% had diagnosed malefactor issues, and 34% had diagnosed female factor issues. Further, 25% were taking Clomid, and 16% other fertility medications.

For couples that became pregnant, this was 15% undiagnosed, 19% male factor, 23% female factor, with 21% on Clomid, and 21% on other fertility medications. 45% mentioned no infertility diagnosis.

84% of users liked &#8220;the way PreSeed feels&#8221; well enough to want to use it as their regular lubricant, if a more cost effective version were available for non-fertile times. 65% of users disliked the cost- this of course varied on if the couple had become pregnant or not!!! And 50% disliked that it wasn&#8217;t in a regular drugstore chain. 70% liked 6 or more applicators in a box; however, about 25% wanted a new &#8220;intro pack&#8221; size for people trying the product for the first time.

---------------------------------------

29% miscarried???? is it just me or does that seem pretty high?

DH just pointed out that if preseed or other fertility lubes help to conceive then inevitably miscarriage rates go up! That's not high at all.. in fact those figures don't seem at all accurate to me.

I've read in most articles that you have a 25% chance of pregnancy each cycle, reducing to 20% at aged >25, 15% > 30 etc. which is why you get seen quicker if you are over 30.

Also miscarriage rates are increased because we can test sooner, so a few years ago we wouldn't have even known we were pregnant at 8dpo!!

Don't scare yourself with all the articles out there, half of it is rubbish,,

and the odds for miscarriage from what i've heard is more like twice that if not more... scary figures

The risk of miscarriage decreases as pregnancy progresses. It is possible that as many as 50% of pregnancies miscarry before implantation in the womb occurs. Early after implantation, pregnancy loss rate is about 30% (i.e. this is still before a pregnancy is clinically recognised). After a pregnancy may be clinically recognised (between days 35-50), about 25% will end in miscarriage. The risk of miscarriage decreases dramatically after the 8th week as the weeks go by. - from miscarriage website

And another article explains what i was trying to say better than me i think!! :haha: It's silly to get hung up on the statistics though! :flower:

It's easy to become overwhelmed by the numerous statistics floating around out there on miscarriage rates. Depending on the context, you might find numbers saying everything from 5% to 70% of pregnancies miscarry. What's even more confusing is that most of these numbers are correct when put into context. For example, one study found that women who have given birth have a 5% risk of miscarrying the next time around, and some research has indicated that 70% of fertilized eggs may never go on to become a full-term pregnancy. But those numbers don't help you if you're just trying to determine an average person's risk of miscarriage after finding out she's pregnant.

I think the answer offered by UpToDate, an online reference source for doctors and patients, might help to clarify the confusion:

"Miscarriage in early pregnancy is common. Studies show that about 10% to 20% of women who know they are pregnant have a miscarriage some time before 20 weeks of pregnancy; 80% of these occur in the first 12 weeks. But the actual rate of miscarriage is even higher since many women have very early miscarriages without ever realizing that they are pregnant. One study that followed women's hormone levels every day to detect very early pregnancy found a total miscarriage rate of 31%."

So, if you already know you're pregnant, your risk of miscarrying before 20 weeks is probably somewhere between 10% and 20%, and the rates of miscarriage are highest in the first trimester (the first 12 weeks). But if you confirm your pregnancy when you are very early along, such as if you use early pregnancy tests before you miss your period, the overall risk of miscarrying might be a little higher, because you may detect a very early miscarriage that would have otherwise gone unnoticed (a chemical pregnancy). And if your pregnancy has already progressed beyond the first trimester, the greatest risk of miscarriage has most likely passed.

According to this study (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8894797) regarding using canola oil as a vaginal lubricant:

"RESULTS: Commercial lubricants inhibited sperm motility by 60-100% after 60 minutes of incubation. Sperm exposed to Replens or Astroglide were nonmotile and nonviable after incubation for 60 minutes, similar to the control, nonoxynol-9 containing product Gynol II. Canola oil had no detrimental effects and was indistinguishable from Ham's F-10 in terms of sperm viability and motility."

I guess this research says canola oil does not have any inhibiting effect on the sperms at all. Not sure what Ham's F-10 is though???

I know the statstics on the miscarriage rates, i am one of the women who had a miscarriage. That's not the point really, I just felt a little put off how there might be a connection between preseed and miscarriage. I was wondering how BnB ladies would think or felt about canola oil and if there were any ladies out there that might be interested in using canola oil than preseed for the purpose of reducing the risk of miscarriage (you would do anything to reduce the risk of miscarriage, wouldn't you??) and cost saving because god knows how much us ladies have spent on pregnancy tests, opk tests, thermometers and beyond!

so as much as you say it's "silly" to get hung up on statistics but it's still something I would think twice about. that's just me.

I know the statstics on the miscarriage rates, i am one of the women who had a miscarriage. That's not the point really, I just felt a little put off how there might be a connection between preseed and miscarriage. I was wondering how BnB ladies would think or felt about canola oil and if there were any ladies out there that might be interested in using canola oil than preseed for the purpose of reducing the risk of miscarriage (you would do anything to reduce the risk of miscarriage, wouldn't you??) and cost saving because god knows how much us ladies have spent on pregnancy tests, opk tests, thermometers and beyond!

so as much as you say it's "silly" to get hung up on statistics but it's still something I would think twice about. that's just me.

i meant in relation to preseed - as in that the risk is there with or without the preseed and they don't seem any more based on the preseed rates :shrug: quite obviously i didn't mean that getting hung up on miscarriage rates is silly, i've been ttc for 6 months and had a chemical last month as i posted above [only happened 6 days ago!] - i then freaked out when you said there's a link to preseed as it was the first month we used it, so was trying to reassure myself/others (if they so care) that the risk was there either way and that *I* didn't cause it myself

i understand what you mean, i dont blame you.. im wondering if preseed helps the "defective slow swimmers" to have fair game as the strong and healthy spermies to reach the egg? meaning the bad sperm fertilized the egg but failed to bring it through because the body could tell it was defective and didn't allow it to implant?

but then it doesn't make sense either. wouldnt preseed help the strong ones get there FASTER rather than fast? lol... im overthinking this way too much!

my memory is fuzzy... i had a miscarriage in 2006 at 5w and tried to forget about it as soon as possible (i was only 20 and definitely wasnt ready for a baby and it was with my ex that I was on and off with and during that time i was "off" with him) so i tried to forget about it as soon as it was over.. now I wish i kept records about it because i can't really remember why i lost the baby. i dont think it was an ectopic pregnancy because nothing ruptured and i didnt need to have a d/c cuz everything came out naturally. my sister who went through it with me for support doesnt remember why either but she said not to worry and that it doesnt mean i won't be able to have a baby now but it's easier said than done!

well all the books say that you're no more at risk if you've had one already, and it's a good sign to show that your fertile. So i'm trying to keep that in mind for going forward. I think you misunderstood my post about miscarriage rates and why I would be so worried about it, i'm only on cd6 since it happened and so obviously still v worried about why and whether i caused it, which DH has said is silly to think. And desperately trying not to get hung up on it.

From what i can gather, it's just one of those things - pure bad luck. I hope so anyway, because there'll be no swimmers getting anywhere if i don't use something to help because i have no fertile cm..

my reasons for using preseed is to make a more welcoming environment, i don't see how oil could do that if you haven't got ewcm because it's not mimicking the woman's cm.. as a lubricant it might work just fine, but as someone who NEEDS cm help, i just don't see that it can do the same?

sorry for any misunderstanding

i dont know how preseed feels since ive never seen it before nor have used it before.. so that's why i posted thsi thread, to see if there were any women who have used both or just canola oil to see if there were truly any difference to the real EWCM?

ever since i started ttcing i have noticed that i'm not as juicy as i used to be when i was 20 (i'm 25, gonna be 26 next month).. i do get wet and it is enough for DH and i to have sex with no pain or discomfort but still it's still alot less than I used to have when i was 20... so that's why i'm like hmm.. maybe it's a sign that i should upper my chance with preseed then i saw the reviews and i'm like ackk!! but you're right, i guess i don't really have antyhing to lose with trying the preseed though and if i do miscarry its probably because i *finally* raised my rates of conceving... i guess? i dont know. i'll talk to my DH and see how he feels about making it more "technical" LOL.. i think he would just rather me do the opks 2-3 times a day, and bd every other day (he will NOT have a problem with that lol).

hugs, don't feel bad about the misunderstanding, i dont. :D and i really hope you get your BFP v v v soon! how long have you been ttcing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->