preconception check up?

myangel167

Reaction score
Has anyone had one or plan on having one? I don't know when my husband and I will consider ourselves offically ttc. BUT, because we don't use protection, I was considering having a preconception check up, just in case. AND, I mean, It cant hurt.

if you have had one, is it just like your regular pap smear/obgyn check up? Or do they do a bunch of other tests? Is it with your obgyn doc or your primary doc?

I'm not sure how it works for you I mentioned a load of stuff at the nurse and doctor before ttc and they weren't interested at all.
You should be taking folic acid at a minimum if you don't use contraception.
Xx

I'm going to the Dr today for this purpose. I just booked it as a physical with a smear...and then I'll mention to the Dr that we are TTC like in 2 weeks and see what she does from there...then I'll let you know what she says.... :)

Going for a similar appointment tomorrow. I had a MC in Feb. Then aunt flo last month. I'm hoping my doc will actually check some things out and not just blow me off with a regular "just be patient." I feel like there's something she can check but I'm not really sure what to ask for.

So my appointment wasn't anything special. Just a pap and was told to take prenatal vitamins.

i figured thats all, docs seem lazy now a days, or they treat u like u are over thinking.

ive read online that they are supposed to give u a regular physical + pap smear and a blood test, pee test and ask u about your family/medical histpry, or if u have any concerns, etc. but everyone i ask who has actually had a prenatal check up just say it was nothing more than a regular apt.

Yup, and Ive just noticed now a days they don't even want to touch you! They just send you for blood work. I remember my first ever appointment the doctor did a pap, blood pressure, lungs, heart beat, felt my ovaries and uterus size, pushed on my stomach, checked my ears! Like everything possible. So I asked this Dr if she was going to check those things. She said the ovaries and uterus checks aren't necessary. All she did was pap, bp, listened to my heart beat and lungs, and took family history. I just had blood work done because we got life insurance and they have to make sure you are healthy, so she didn't order any.

Hmmm, its sort of frustrating. because, yes i understand that they have many patients and they are trying to see everyone and be time efficient but then again, WE PAY a lot of money for health insurance and want to be treated well and make us feel like their care is worth our hard earned money!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->