Preemies and school

AP

Reaction score
https://www.bliss.org.uk/page.asp?section=312&sectionTitle=Starting+school

After reading this im confused. Alex was due in september but came in June - does that mean we have this option if we need it?

From what I understand, yes.

Ours is a more extreme case - Andrew was due in November but arrived in mid-August. If he goes to school with his peers, then his corrected age will potentially be 15 months behind the eldest in the class.

We've already got it in mind - unless he turns out to be a genius! - that we're going to keep him back by a year.

We've mentioned it to the HV and she's fine with the idea, she just pointed out that you cannot change your mind at a later date - once they start school behind, they stay behind until they leave at 19.

It doesnt apply to the twins because they were born in January and due in April

not something I had really thought about before tbh but realisticly developmental delay is something that we all will not know until out lo's are at least 2. xx

Archie's already enrolled into his school and the head teacher had a discussion about this with us. She said that they might keep him behind for a year but will do a review of his developmental progress with us when he's three and four - he starts at their nursery age 3. They have experience with prem babies and she said they do keep most of them behind for the year especially boys. But who knows...he could be totally fine. You do worry though. xxx

We are keeping this in mind too as Millie was due in Nov but came early Aug. When Millie was in NICU I read in "Little Bliss" that some authorities make it as difficult as they
possibly can for you to defer entry. Many will allow a child to begin school twelve months later, but will insist that the child must start in yr1 with the intake that began twelve months previous. Obviously by that time friendships will have been formed, and valuable groundwork (in terms of education) may have been missed. If this was the only option I was offered I don't think I would want to go ahead.

If however, the time comes and we feel she would benefit from starting with her corrected age peers, and our LEA allows it then I would go ahead with it. On the Bliss website there is info about how to support your case, when you submit the application to your LEA.

Just prepare to have a fight on your hands! You may be lucky and meet no opposition, but I think they can be a bit difficult when it comes to defering entry!

From what I understand, yes.

Ours is a more extreme case - Andrew was due in November but arrived in mid-August. If he goes to school with his peers, then his corrected age will potentially be 15 months behind the eldest in the class.

We've already got it in mind - unless he turns out to be a genius! - that we're going to keep him back by a year.

We've mentioned it to the HV and she's fine with the idea, she just pointed out that you cannot change your mind at a later date - once they start school behind, they stay behind until they leave at 19.

Hmmmm, I am not sure that your HV is right about the last point.

Sherry,Can't believe that a school would offer a child to start a year later, but in year one! How daft is that!

Rose was due on the cusp as it was, I would of been much happier for her to be in the next school year and had been told many time to keep my legs crossed over the summer to make this happen. Ha blooming ha! :)

I don't quite get the cut off points, can anyone help? Alex was due Sept 22 but was born 27 June?

I don't quite get the cut off points, can anyone help? Alex was due Sept 22 but was born 27 June?

I think Alex is in the same boat hun. If she had been born around her due date she would have been one of the eldest in her class. Because she was born early she will start school a year early and will be one of the youngest children in the class.

From what I remember of the Bliss page (without referring back), there's a choice between "deferring" for a year, which is when you put off starting your child but they eventually enrol with their actual age group; or "delaying" for a year, where you start your child a year late and they enrol with the younger group, effectively enrolling with their corrected age group.

I guess the decision depends on whether you think your child is developing in line with their actual age (ie precocious!) or corrected age.

I think I'd like to see a third option - enrol Andrew based on actual age but if he struggles to match his friends, then hold him back to repeat the year (thus "delaying" him). I guess one solution would be to put him to nursery based on actual age and see how he measures up there.

Hi Ladies, i hope you dont mind me joining in the conversation. My LO is 3 and was born in August though due in November. He is due to start school this year though should have been next year! Developementally thankfully i have no concerns about him. What worries me is he is so much smaller than the kids he will have to go to school with. I worry about him fitting in with kids and hiim feeling different as they will generally be a head taller than him! I have spoken to bliss, the council and the schools and can't see how i can get him put back into the year he should be in unless he has serious problems! It is so worrying and frustrating! Seems the only way we can get around it will be to send him to a private school then we can put him back a year. We have found a school and they are happy to do that. I think they should be more open/ prepared to consider putting premature kids in the year they would have been in!

Thanks for posting Sue - interesting to hear that although you followed Bliss' suggestions, your local education authority isn't willing to consider deferring or delaying.

The only suggestion I can make is a cushion! Okay, so that sounds flippant, but at least then your son would be the same height as the other children once sat down.

Maybe a word with the class teacher to keep an eye out and make sure he doesn't suffer by being small - not so much bullying, but things like always being left till last to be picked for teams etc.

I'll have the same issues as you - Andrew is an August / November baby. Plus he was small for his gestation.

Just saw this thread. SB, the dates in Scotland are different from those in England. I found this. It seems you'll have the choice.

Children start primary school aged between 4½ and 5½ depending on when the child's birthday falls. Scottish school policy places all those born between March of a given year and February of the following year in the same year group. Children born between March and August start school in August at between 5½ and 5 years old, and those born between September and February start school in the previous August at between age 4 years 11 months and 4½ years old. The Scottish system is the most flexible in the UK, however, as parents of children born between September and December can request a deferral for 1 year (not automatic, requires to be approved), whilst children born between January and February can opt to hold their child back a year and let them start school the following August. This usually allows those not ready for formal education to have an extra year at nursery school. (Funding is only available for children born in January and February).

^^^Thank fek u said that, OH kept saying that too and i was very confused!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->