Preemies who had a short stay..

stepmum

Oliver's Mummy
Reaction score
My LO who was born at just under 33 weeks only had a 16 day stay in NICU/SCBU and I wasn't allowed to stay with him :cry: of course I could come and go as/whenever I pleased. We were at Ormskirk hospital.

My friends baby was born at 35 weeks and was put on a separate ward with him, I think his stay was a similar duration. She was at Liverpool Womens.

I'm a bit sad that I wasn't allowed to stay with Oliver and I'm wondering if it goes by the hospital?

The reason I ask is that my consultant has told me it could happen again on any further pregnancies as the reason why it happened is unexplained so far.

I'm praying it doesn't happen again but I would like to choose the appropriate hospital if I get pregnant again just in case.

We didn't question it at the time, as I thought the parents were only allowed to stay in the cases of micro preemies and preemies with other difficulties.

Hi hun, Congrats on ur baby Boy, I had mine at Liverpool woman's and i can't fault them at all they was amazing.....if i honest while i was there i heard some really bad stories about ormskirk hospital but every hospital has good and bad i can only go on mine,

My babies was mirco premmies born at 27+5 only my boy survived and i stayed in two weeks i could not stay with him as he was in intensive care but once he was off monitors there are two parents rooms which you get to stay over with them, there is also a ward where the less serious premmies stay where u can stay with them the ones who dont need 24 hour care,

if u can get too the woman's i would highly recommend it and book in with them, my closer hospital was whiston and warrington but i went the womans and really glad i did

xx

Yeah the womens is the best and I only chose Ormskirk as I didn't dream that I'd have any problems in pregnancy or that he would come early. Ormskirk was close to us so I just wanted to be as close as possible for when I went into labour..to be honest I liked Ormskirk, my consultant was brilliant but I think it's standard procedure there not to allow parents to stay unless it's quite serious and even then I'm pretty sure there was a 25 weeker in with us and I don't think the mum stayed. The womens is obviously more equipped for preemies, so although I liked Ormskirk I'm definitely gonna choose the womens just in case I do go early again.

I think the non-serious ward was where my friend stayed, her baby was basically a feeder and grower the same as Oliver, although her baby was gestationally older, Oliver was a bit heavier.

Thanks for your reply hun :hugs:

It's all down to hospital policy I think? I know I was discharged a few days later but I wasn't mentally ready to leave so I stayed in a special relatives room for a week. It's just a bed with kettle etc and bathroom. Not a lot of hospitals provide that so I was lucky.obviously ours was a long stay but it can be dependant on how busy the hosp is, and who really needs to stay(if someone's baby was more critical or mum stated miles away then they'd have priority)

Niamh spent 2 nights on the ward with me and was then admitted to special care, i spent a futher two nights on the ward and once i was discharged i got a bed on the transitional care ward, spent a night on there while Niamh was in special care and once she was off the IV she came into the transitional care ward for a night with me.

I think it all depends on the space the hospital has. My hospital has a 5 bed side ward for mothers to say. They use it for mothers of long stay babys when there baby is ready to go home so they can get used to any extra care the babys might need for a night or two before they actually go home. For babys who are struggling to feed and for cases like mine when the baby will only be in for a very short time.

Thats the name of the ward that my friend went on to..transitional care.

Thanks ladies.:hugs:

I think you're spot on Lozzy, I think it does depend on the space the hospital has. I don't believe Ormskirk had a transitional care ward, which is quite sad as I'm sure it would very beneficial to a lot of mums, especially those with a tougher journey than I had. I can't really complain as it isn't the hospital's fault, it is only a relatively small hospital. It's a shame I won't be able to go there in any future pregnancies as I think if I had been at Liverpool Women's I wouldn't have had to go through leaving him every night, I think I'd have been moved to the transitional ward too.

I hope this post doesn't come off as sounding selfish or anything, I know I'm quite lucky to have had an easier and shorter journey than some and obviously I'm glad for all those that did get to stay with their LO's but I can't help feeling slightly sad that I didn't get to stay with Oliver. But again it's no-one's fault, none of us think about things like this when choosing our hospitals when booking at the midwife.

Thanks again for your responses ladies xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->