Prefolds - Help!

Stiina

Mama!
Reaction score
Hi ladies!

Our little boy is 2 weeks old today, and his bellybutton has dried up so we're using cloth diapers now. We were using the NB disposables before with the cut-out for the bellybutton!

I made prefolds before he was born. I made them out of recieving blankets and old towels - so there's a layer in the middle that's thicker than the sides.

The problem we are having is LEAKS! We use Bummis covers, and I always make sure to tuck all the parts of the diaper inside the cover, but we've soaked through more sleepers than I can count. The poos are fine (I'm BFing) but when he pees it must leak through the leg holes? and through to his sleeper.

I'm wondering if anyone actually uses prefolds anymore (haha!) and if they have tips for me?

I'm using a Snappi instead of pins (those things are the best invention!). If that makes a difference?

I don't know if anyone will have any advice. Maybe I should post some pictures of them? I donno!!!

Anyway, thanks for reading! :flow:

How often are you changing?

I actually really like prefolds still, especially when they are younger, but I did buy mine, I'm not crafty at all lol. It could just be the materials aren't absorbent enough though. I buy mine from www.greenmountaindiapers.com and they are by far the most absorbent, best fitting ones I've tried. I do have some bamboo ones I like alot too but I actually prefer the GMD ones for absorbency.

Maybe some pics of how you fold it, might be able to help with some tips that work better for a boy?

I use a snappi too so that shouldn't make any diff, I get a much better fit with them than I do pins. I have Bummis wraps, well one, and I do like it, works well, I personally prefer Thirsties but never had issues with my Bummis

I dont find flannel or regular terry very absorbant at all, it basically just soaks through. The best thing would be microfiber or something with bamboo I think. You can buy microfiber for cheap, the material and way its pilled is what makes it absorbant.... I got some from the dollar store to make soaker pads for our pocket diapers and they work great. Hemp is ok too if your into making your own.

I use cotton prefolds (premade... ha ha... wish I had the time to make my own while I was PG!) and they are really absorbent. I agree w/ ryder... it's possible that the material you've got is just soaking through rather than absorbing the liquid. If I was to make my own now, I'd love to make some out of hemp. From what I've learned, hemp is similar to wool in that it has some antibacterial-like qualities to it. :)

OOOOOOOOhhh! It's like a lightbulb went off in my head :D That's exactly what's happening. It's just soaking through instead of absorbing.

You guys rock ;)

I could probably make some little pads to go inside them out of microfibre. Thanks for all the tips, ladies!

My next problem is that I don't think they are big enough :( The corners that you bring around from the back barely reach the front part, so I was having to do them up really tight with the Snappi. Poor Simon had a tummyache from me doing the diapers up so tight, and puked everything up last night! :(

So we're back to disposables, because my prefolds don't fit AND they don't absorb anything! :dohh: Why did I even bother?!?!!!?

I might have to go buy some prefolds next time I'm in the city. I just can't justify the cost for disposables!

Some people use disposables for the first few weeks until their baby grows into AIO diapers, which are much easier.

I used some preemie prefolds at first since Bun was early - they were cotton/bamboo mix and worked great. I would say that the most important thing is to find covers that work well for your LO. We really REALLY love the Thirsties duo-wraps as they contain everything really well. But for absorbency, for me nothing beats bamboo or hemp (or a mix of one of these with cotton). For prefolds, the way I folded them made a big difference too - I folded them down at the front since boys wet heavily at the front! I still use prefolds (bummis) when I get lazy about laundry and I also use a snappi. But now that Bun is bigger and a heavy wetter, I need to change them more often (every 1-2h) since they aren't as absorbent as my bamboo/hemp/cotton fitteds.

Also - I only used prefolds during the day. I didn't find them absorbent enough (unless I stuffed them) to use overnight.
I have been a bamboozle fan for overnight since day 1. :D

xx

Thanks Sun! I fold these down in the front too. When I get more than a couple minutes for the computer I'll post some pictures so the pros here can tell me if I'm doing it right. :mrgreen:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->