Pregnancy after a preemie. . .

DonnaBallona

newlyweds!
Reaction score
I dont know if anyone is interested (or cares!:winkwink:) but I know of a couple of us that are already pregnant or TTC and thought it might be helpful to have a thread to keep track of?

So, bit of backgound for those who dont know (although there cant be that many!:lol:) Brooke was born at 32 weeks weighing 2lb 4oz due to severe pre eclampsia. She also had IUGR which had gone undetected. Both our lives were saved by a routine appointment at a hospital where it was finally detected and I was given a crash section under GA around 90mins later at a different hospital 25 mins away!

Anyways, fast forward one year :lol: and here I am, 30 weeks pregnant with number 2! Im under consultant led care this time round and having regular growth scans to check that the baby is growing-Im having weekly BP checks too which (if im honest :blush:) is a little tiresome but definatly needed.

So far, things are good. My BP has been normal, iv had no swelling or dizzy spells and no headaches! Bizarrely enough, the baby is also growing 3 weeks ahead of dates too which Im finding really strange. Iv been given the go-ahead to try for a natural birth so Im excited and nervous about that!

Id love to hear updates form anyone else who is pregnant after a preemie, or TTC! I know Bec L has a scan this week, so good luck to her for that too.

xx

Donna, if this second baby goes full-term and is "normal" size (as opposed to IUGR), have you worked out how old s/he will be when they overtake Brooke in size? <grin>

I would like to know aswell, so will be keeping an eye on this thread :thumup:

Great thread Donna so glad to hear things were progressing well, was thinking of you the other day and was gonna PM you to see how things were. Fantastic news that you can try for a natural birth as I think alot of us feel like we missed the final stage and birth.

This is reassuring as well as I also had severe pre-eclampsia detected at 30 weeks, at day care for monitioring 3 times a week for 3 weeks, growth scans etc before it was too risky to wait any longer which was lucky as I went into kidney failure and needed some form of 'mini-dialysis' during the night he was born.

If I did not suffer from pretty bad PND I would prob be very preg by now :blush: but trying to be sensible(ish) so were NTNP the now and will think more seriously once Matthew turns 1 (5 weeks time eeck).

Id imagine it must feel strange having a bigger bump than before, I am always amazed when I see 2 girls at work who are maybe 7 months or so and HUGE bigger bumps than I had at all (due to undiagnosed IUGR as well).

Will be keeping an eye on this thread and in 3 weeks time will join in the celebrations as little bubs stays happily in your tum til fully cooked. Hope we get to see your new addition as much as gorgeous Brooke xx

Well it gives me hope for a natural birth too! I had a section under GA! I had to have a blood transfusion!!

Keep that little bubsy cooking!!! x

Donna, if this second baby goes full-term and is "normal" size (as opposed to IUGR), have you worked out how old s/he will be when they overtake Brooke in size? <grin>

LOL marleysgirl, that did make me chuckle!!

considering Brooke is wearing her first EVER pair of 3-6 months trousers this morning :cloud9: im pretty sure it wont be long :winkwink: save me a fortune on clothes if its a girl. . .LOL!!

thanks for all your sweet replies everybody-shall keep you updated. xx

Lovely thread Donna. Thought I'd wait till I'd had my scan before posting my update.

Well the good news is that from the measurements they did of my cervix today, everything 'looks good' and is as it should be at 16 weeks. The hospital didn't 100% reassure me that this baby would not be prem but they were pretty sure that by now there would be changes in my cervix if it was going that way.

We also, unexpectedly got to see the baby on a normal scan too which was brilliant as we haven't seen it since 9.5 weeks. It's grown SO much. And ony 4 more weeks till the 20 week one :)

So I hope in about 6 months time that I will be on here moaning about being overdue and uncomfortable, ha ha xx

oh great news Bec and an extra scan, having to be closely monitored does have a few perks now and then eh. Had a wee chuckle at your last bit, im sure you and Donna prob will feel a tab uncomfy as it will be a new experience for you both but im sure you will LOVE every long, back breaking, constantly peeing and burpin second of it :haha: x

oh great news Bec and an extra scan, having to be closely monitored does have a few perks now and then eh. Had a wee chuckle at your last bit, im sure you and Donna prob will feel a tab uncomfy as it will be a new experience for you both but im sure you will LOVE every long, back breaking, constantly peeing and burpin second of it :haha: x

Put perfectly my dear!! Im feeling very strange, seeing as Im so much bigger than I was with Brooke-and Iv also had my first experience of Brackston Hicks yesterday which were a bit of an eye opener :shock: so super excited though. . .and I LOVE catching sight of myself in a shop window and seeing that Im looking like a heffer :cloud9:

Bec L, Im chuffed to bits you got to see baby again. . .twice! lucky you! :cloud9: brilliant news. xx

oh thats so cute Donna. I am so glad you are enjoying your big bump!:happydance:

I wonder what Brooke makes of it! :)

Glad your scan went well Bec. I want another baby but OH said 3 under 3 would be a complete nightmare haha x

What a lovely thread...so nice to hear you are both doing so well, will be keeping an eye on this thread. It is amazing that as they get bigger and become more toddler like, you start thinking about another baby...I miss my tiny girl sometimes, she is huge now...good luck huns...x

I know exactly what you mean Premmiemum gutted Matthew's room today, dismantled his big changing table and took his mobile down and lowered his cot to the very bottom. He has new boyish toy boxes and stuff and was playing on the floor as I worked away playing with toy cars and was driving them along quite the thing - looked like a proper wee boy, and I had a 'moment' as the reality that he is not a baby any more set in which is great, but really really really wanted a wee baby again xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->