Pregnancy and antidepressants/anti anxiety meds

yourstruly10

Reaction score
Hey ladies.

I've had anxiety and depression as long as I can remember however this will be my first pregnancy on my meds. I see my doctor next week on Tuesday but I was wondering if anyone is on or has been on then and how it affected baby or if your how your doctor felt about you being on them.

I'm on escitalopram or its other name cipralex (lexapro)

I was on citalopram 20mg and when I found out I was pregnant I spoke to the doctor about their effects. Obviously in an ideal world it's nice to not have to take them in pregnancy but in a real world if mother needs them then the benefits outweigh the risks. I was told that if I chose to stay on them then baby would need extra monitoring at birth.

I was thinking about coming off mine before getting my bfp so took the plunge and went cold turkey last week. Has not been the most pleasant experience but hopefully once it's all out my system I'll feel better.

And its reassuring as the doctor told me that should I need any more support or to go back on them that I can.
However if I found the withdrawal tough I wouldn't have wanted a newborn to feel those effects. But you have to do what is right for you as well as baby xxxx

I have had long term severe depression, was on lexapro for about 12 years and tried to stop taking medication so many times without success. I was determined to not take medication while TTC and pregnancy due to the known and unknown effects on the fetus. I was finally able to stop taking them after significant diet changes( gluten free, high protein breakfast, cutting down on sugar), some supplements (vitamin D, fish oil, B 12), acupuncture, therapy and following the recommendations in the book, "The Depression Cure" by Stephen Ilardi. I've been off meds for 1.5 years :happydance:

There isn't any data showing these medications are completely safe and some studies show documented negative side effects on the fetus, as I am sure you are aware. In addition, antidepressants are either as effective or minimally more effective than placebo.

Some doctors are very adamant that pregnant women stay on antidepressants while pregnant and others feel strongly that they should stop taking these meds if at all possible. No one can make that decision for you but it would be worth it to talk with your doctor about other options for depression treatment during pregnancy. Hopefully you will have a doctor that can suggest some other options and you can decide what is best for you. I wish you luck!

I was on anti-anxiety medicine that I stopped when I found out I was pregnant. The medicine I was on is class D so I did not want to take the risk (my doctor also told me not to take it while pregnant).

I suggest talking to your doctor and finding reputable research out there about any effects so you are well informed. I don't know much about the medication you are taking, but I know that some people can stay on SSRIs while pregnant (some may be safer than others?).

You could also possibly talk to your doctor about going on a very low dose if you really still need to take the meds while pregnant.
I was on cipralex and trazadone when I found out I was pregnant with my second. I stopped cold turkey when I found out...the withdrawal was horrifying but well worth the piece of mind (for me anyway). Two of my doctors said I absolutely could not be on either.

I was on Citalopram 20mg for the whole of my last pregnancy and had a healthy baby and good birth. I think it's a question of weighing up risks vs benefits really. If you need them then I wouldn't come off them, but the likelyhood is they will see if you can reduce them if you can. But if you can't, don't feel defeated. We all need a bit of help sometimes!!

xx

I was on 20 mgs of prozac my entire pregnancy. My daughter was perfectly healthy at birth and is now a smart and thriving 4 year old.
I was on it due to pretty severe anxiety/panic disorder and my doctor had no problem with me continuing.
The choice is ultimately yours.
Remember, stress isn't good for the baby either.

I was on paxil for ppd- got a very surprise bfp while on it. it's class D- so I immediately called my OB's office and left a message with the "educator" about coming off of it since my general doc had told me I couldn't take it during pregnancy and not to stop cold turkey (if I missed a day or two I'd have severe withdrawal symptoms). The OB's office said it was fine to take in pregnancy because the benefits outweigh the risks. I decided for me personally that wasn't the case- so I went to my GP and got a rx to wean myself off- I think I stopped by 5.5w, and was miserable for a good week or so after that! We'll see how the rest of this pregnancy goes...

Just realized I never updated or thanked everyone for your advice. I saw my doctor last week and I his opinion there is no evidence that supports any meds like mine being safe in pregnancy and advises most women to get off them as soon as possible. I have been off completely for a week now and have been refered for counselling to balance the anxiety I have without my medicine. So far I'm feeling not to bad. I have a few large stresses in life right now but I'm coping ok.

Thank you again everyone.

I also went off Cipralex a few months before TTC. I'm glad I did for the peace of mind. To be honest, I feel about the same -- I'm not sure how effective the meds were in my case to begin with. I've been seeing a therapist, which helps, and there are a lot of other stress and anxiety management techniques that you can try.

Remember that if you really take a nose dive though, that it would be best to see your doctor. I think that some meds are considered safer than others, so you could always give them a try if you're really having a hard time.

Good luck!

Thank you. I'm very lucky in that my ob is also my fsmily doctor who I've been seeing since I was 6 so it makes it much easier to trust him when he says to come off since he knows my complete history medically :)

I'm glad you were able to stop the medicines! How's it been without it? I had a rough time when I got off the anti anxiety medicine but I'm glad I'm not taking them while pregnant.

I've had a few withdrawls symptoms. Mostly fuzzy head and lack of focus but the worst has been very scary and intense vivid nightmares. I thought it was hormones at first but apparently the scary ones are common with coming off cipralex. Also super sweaty at night while sleeping but they seem to be easing off already and I have my first phychiatrist appointment tomorrow so I'm looking forward to seeing how that goes. I'm really happy like you for the peace of mind that comes with not being on meds while pregnant unless I seriously need them

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->