Pregnancy and anxiety

Pulirula

Reaction score
I have had anxiety for as long as I can remember. i feel like the past year it has gotten better but being pregnant is starting to bring it back. I find myself worrying about delivery and the complications that could happen( this is my second baby and my first delivery went very well) My biggest anxiety trigger is my heart. I have been to a cardiologist and he has done sonograms and ekgs. He says I'm fine and not to worry. But lately my heart has been racing and setting off my anxiety even more. I guess I'm just looking for others out there that have anxiety during pregnancy.

How many weeks are you? I've dealt with a diagnosed panic disorder for the last 11 years, and I remember being a very anxious child. During pregnancy our bodies are raging with hormones and it can make anxiety worse. The first trimester is always the hardest for me, both with DD and this pregnancy my anxiety hit very high points where I felt paralyzed with fear - I think it peaked at it's worse around 8/9 weeks then started to do better at 10. I'm now 13+5 and still have anxiety, but it's not hindering my day like it was in the earlier weeks.

Your heart racing could be from low iron, or it could be from the increase in blood flow that occurs with pregnancy. During the early weeks I had a racing heart and it always brought on anxiety. I had it again today and I did get anxious, but I took some deep breaths and told myself baby is growing, drank some water and after resting I felt better.

In wonderful news, you've seen a cardiologist and they said you're ok! If it helps to call them up and ask to do a work over now that you're pregnant then do so. Or call your primary or OB/midwife and talk to them about your anxiety. You're not alone in this. Sorry for the novel of a reply! But believe me, I do and have felt this anxiety. I know how intense of an internal struggle we have and it's not always easy to express it outwardly. :hugs:

Thank you for the response! I tell my self that I have felt this all before and it goes away by it's hard to get through it. I'm 10 weeks. I have my appt with my dr on Friday and I'm going to discuss it with her. Last night my hubs kept asking me if I was ok because I was just in a zone. I kept saying yes even tho I wasn't and he knew I was lying but just stayed next to me. When my heart races it helps me to hug him and listen to his heart. It calms me. Ugh 30 more weeks!

I have anxiety, too, and pregnancy definitely makes it a lot worse. The first few months postpartum are even worse than during pregnancy. I do a LOT of meditation/yoga and give myself a lot of little pep talks to help calm down. I refuse to medicate, especially while pregnant/breastfeeding, but there are safe options if you need to take some type of medication for it.

I have refused meds too. They make me feel worse then my anxiety does. It really doesn't help that it's winter time and it's freezing outside and the sun hasn't been out in weeks. I feel like I hAveng left the house at all.

Not much advice to offer, but I'm struggling with a lot of anxiety as well. In early pregnancy I was worried about miscarriage. Now I'm worried about genetic testing and a major problem or health issue with the baby. Next I'm sure I'll worry about the birth experience, or something else. Every time I resolve one fear, another comes along. It can be very paralyzing. I feel myself withdraw from my son and husband as my mind recycles the same old fears. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone -- it can be alienating to feel like this should be such an excited, lighthearted time and I can't let go and enjoy any of it.

I do think the time of year has an impact on it. January can be so gray and dismal, you don't get out much, not a lot of exercise. I have been doing yoga and some prenatal workouts, but I know it takes time for exercise to have a positive effect. I do try to remind myself that my fears are unfounded, but my brain goes into this place where the worst-case scenario is the ONLY option. I have to remind myself of past times I was incredibly anxious and the fact that about 95% of the time, things were just fine. It doesn't always help but it's a start.

I tell myself that woman are made to make babies and if anything is truly wrong I will know it. I have a great group of nurses and drs. And my first pregnancy went perfectly. I'm so glad there is a group in here that we can share our fears and anxieties!

I'm actually sitting on the couch watching a movie bawling my eyes out for no reason which is making me cry more. It's not even a sad movie!

Pulirula - Exactly! I had to keep reminding myself that I felt this intense anxiety before but that it started to lessen once I got into second tri. Now that I'm back at what my "normal" anxiety level would be. Great idea to talk to your doctor, even if you end up not wanting to do meds it helps so much just to get it out there and have your doctor assure you it's ok!

That's sweet that hubby stayed close by, I'm very open with DH about my anxiety. I feel he's the only one that truly understands it. We can be out in public and I'll give his arm a squeeze and he'll just know.

Xdxxtx - I had a difficult postpartum as well, but it was a different anxiety for me. It was like I became terrified something was going to happen to me and I wouldn't be able to care for DD. With my usual anxiety I'll have physical symptoms, but postpartum it was all internal in my head - it was so much harder to deal with.

Second.time - Pregnancy is such a stressful time!! I'm so sorry that once one fear resolves another one pops up. Is it helpful to remind yourself that you have a healthy DS and your body knows what to do in pregnancy? Sometimes when I get crampy I get so anxious about mc because of my loss in August, but I remind myself that my body knows what it's doing. My loss was early and my 12 week scan the dr said baby was excellent so I hold onto that my body is working with me to grow this child. I hope you can find a way to relax the thought process to be able to enjoy moments of pregnancy :hugs:

Sorry you had to deal with postpartum. I think I had it a little with my daughter and just let it go and that's when my anxiety got worse. I stayed off meds because we wanted a baby but it was never the right time. I'm not going to be hard headed this time and be open with my dr about my feelings and worries. I can't wait for warmer weather to go outside and enjoy the wildness because that's the only place I feel 100% at peace. Hope you all can find some quiet time to relax before you little ones arrive!

I look forward to warmer weather too, we have trails right by our home that DD loves to trek with me.

It's cold out today but the sun is bright and shiny. Think I'm going to bundle up my daughter and dog and go for a walk!

What does DD and DS stand for?

It's cold out today but the sun is bright and shiny. Think I'm going to bundle up my daughter and dog and go for a walk!

What does DD and DS stand for?

What a great idea! I hope you all enjoy the walk :)

DD = dear daughter
DS = dear son

Ahh okay lol ty! Yes it was a great adventure. We all enjoyed it and I feel much better but boy it tires me out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->