pregnancy on social networks RANT

bigmamacatz

Reaction score
Does anybody else find it annoying when as soon as somebody is expecting it becomes a constant post/status? Im 34wks and my sister is also pregnant, she's 16 weeks and she updates fb every few days with a picture and information about her doctor appointments, movement etc. She's not even showing yet. Maybe its my hormones but its excessive! Nobody needs to know every advancement in your pregnancy, especially not this earlier. Phew just needed to vent!

Does anybody else find it annoying when as soon as somebody is expecting it becomes a constant post/status? Im 34wks and my sister is also pregnant, she's 16 weeks and she updates fb every few days with a picture and information about her doctor appointments, movement etc. She's not even showing yet. Maybe its my hormones but its excessive! Nobody needs to know every advancement in your pregnancy, especially not this earlier. Phew just needed to vent!

I have hidden a couple of high-school friends whose pregnancies were like that! It does seem to get excessive when it's ALL they talk about. You try to be understanding - of course it's the most important thing in their lives right now, so they want to talk about it all the time. But they need to understand that not everyone cares about the minutiae of the process!

I think the great thing about FB is if people annoy you....just hide them. I always say complaining about what people post on FB is like walking into a library and complaining there are too many books. Just because she doesn't manager her profile like you would, it doesn't make her way wrong. Sorry....just my 2 cents.

You can hide it, just remember she is excited. Its an exciting time.

I know what you mean... I don't post about it very often. Only if something really exciting has happened- I think all up Ive done maybe 6 posts about baby and I'm 35weeks! :D
Someone else I know its always updating for everything- it doesn't bother me really.

You'd hate me then. My first pregnancy, Facebook was my journal ha, then now she's here, every day there's a new picture. Don't like it, delete. She's happy and excited, just join in with her?

I did that when I was pregnant with my first... my family and all of my friends from growing up live very far away and it was the only way I could share with them. I wasn't doing it to annoy anyone, I was doing it because I was excited... I posted weekly updates with how baby was growing... etc... *shrug*

I'd say a lot of my status are pregnancy/baby related. It's our first and I'm excited so I want to share and people seem to enjoy the updates anyhow! Like previous ones have said, that's why there's a delete button. Freedom to each to post what they want. :shrug:

This is my husband's first baby and ALL of our family is over 1000 miles away, so I do a lot of pg face book statuses.

I don't think it's a problem really its the most important thing in there lives and they at excited about it .

I post a belly picture once a week , and of something major happens like when I felt him kick and any ultrasound results. I have family far away and they check it , if I didn't post anything they would all try an ask me for the info or a picture anyways and then I avoid sending it to 15 different people

You read my mind! My sister is 2.5 weeks behind me and she has a weekly update app that automatically post for her weekly. Plus all about how sick she feels, dr apps, every ultrasound picture, posts on her dh wall about it. Ugh so irritating. I admit I posted the ultrasound of when we found out its a boy and 2 other bump pics. Only because I have friends/family that actually kept asking me to post pics since they live out of state.

Facebook in general just annoys me right now, I go back and forth from wanting to deactivate my account but I also use it for my side buisness networking :/

She's excited and that's her way of showing it. So I see nothing wrong with it.
Like I see nothing wrong with my non pregnant friends uploading status' every weekend of them out drinking, they are just having fun. If I don't want to see it I just keep scrolling.

I'm sure for everything that someone has posted that we find annoying there is someone thinking what we posted is annoying too. :) Meh can't please everyone.

When I was on fb there was a girl on there who used to update her status about 5 times a day mainly just whinging about how hard pregnancy was and sometimes a status about what she'd bought. I must admit it did annoy me but then I look back to my first pregnancy and I remember taking a picture of the first outfit I bought for dd and sending it to everyone in my phone book :haha: I think I got about 2 replies shows how many people actually cared about my purchase but it was an exciting time for me so I can see why people want to talk about their pregnancy/babies all the time on social sites :)

I just post ultrasound pictures when I get new ones but that is about it. I think my biggest pet peeve are when people just use FB to gripe about being pregnant. After losing my first pregnancy and then struggling to conceive again...I don't have anything to complain about. Way too happy to be pregnant :)
But yes, I don't post more than ultrasound pictures. I have friends who are struggling to conceive or who have just miscarried and I am always thinking about them. I remember how hard FB used to be for me.

I kind of agree and kind of don't! Personally yes it DOES annoy me when people go on and on and on about their pregnancy. But equally it is their page so if that's what they want to post about then that's totally up to them! I have a similar experience to Storked - losses and TTC issues so I also remember how hard it was to use FB for a long time, and I do worry about anyone who is going through the same thing.

It's nice to share exciting news and things but for me, I would never do that as a public status update - I know I can choose who sees my info, delete anyone I don't want to be friends with, but there are people on there who I want to be friends with yet at the same time don't think I really want them to know all the details of my pregnancy. I am just a bit private. I never announced my pregnancy on FB, I've never posted a scan photo, I've never put an update about symptoms, doc visits or whatever. The people who I want to know know, and we see each other often enough to catch up in person or private email so I have no need to put anything on FB.

I think that whilst it's probably a nice thing to do at the time, in 10 years time or whatever all those photos and memories are going to be buried under a decade's worth of useless info. In my mind it's much better to keep a journal, print out bump photos etc so you have something tangible you can look back on in the future, and share with your child if they want to look.

Completely agree with storked and smiler; I'm also a LTTTC and had to have IVF to concieve this pregnancy. I hated (and still do hate) those who just whine about how 'dreadful' it is being pregnant and how they cannot wait to get the baby out. It's infuriating when you'd do anything to be pregnant when they're so flippant about the gift they've been given.
I posted an ultrasound to announce, but haven't mentioned much since. Like others I have LTTTC friends and friends who've recently have miscarriages. Not only this do I try and think that probably other friends that were in my position and I wouldn't want to cause them extra pain like others have done to me.

I didn't write much on my facebook, i announced it on facebook after my 20 week scan, anyone that mattered already knew before then! I don't like putting too much of my personal life on facebook, facebook is a great way to keep in touch with old friends etc but I don't really want my old primary school friends knowing every last detail about me, saying that I wouldn't be offended by someone else doing it, it just isn't for me :)

Everyone uses FB differently and I am all for hiding or deleting someone who annoys you with their posts and then moving on. I am picky about my FB friends so I have no problems talking about personal issues like pregnancy. I don't tend to a whole lot, but if I feel like it I will.

I have had 2 miscarriages, and have friends who had miscarried or are struggling with fertility issues. I have been on both sides of that fence and if my pregnancy discussions offend them they can bite me. I would NEVER have felt bitter at my pregnant friends after I miscarried, I was happy for them! So if anyone out there is bitter about me they can delete me, I refuse to play that game. If they can't be happy for me despite their own struggles, they are not my friend anyway.

The truth is things that annoy or irritate each person is their own problem. I get irritated sometimes too, but I own the emotions I feel. I am not posting anything about the pregnancy on facebook at all, buy I understand why people do. I was always posting when I was pregnant with lex, though, and it was only because I was excited and wanted to share that with everyone!

If you don't want to see it, don't read it, or delete!

You'd hate me then. My first pregnancy, Facebook was my journal ha, then now she's here, every day there's a new picture. Don't like it, delete. She's happy and excited, just join in with her?

Thats me :) I do weekly updates. I am excited and no one can ruin it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->