'Pregnancy Pact'

lauren-kate

Reaction score
https://www.itv.com/News/Articles/US-teen-pregnancy-pact-probed-466145091.html

This bit in particular interests me (even though the comment about 'if they want to get pregnant, they will do); "It (the school) forbids the distribution of condoms and other contraception without parental consent." - What exactly is the reasoning for this?? x

I heard this last night on the news, was wondering if it would be brought up on here.

They don't say much about the girls, but it sounds like alot of mixed up lonley girls.

https://www.itv.com/News/Articles/US-teen-pregnancy-pact-probed-466145091.html

This bit in particular interests me (even though the comment about 'if they want to get pregnant, they will do); "It (the school) forbids the distribution of condoms and other contraception without parental consent." - What exactly is the reasoning for this?? x

There are schools here that take an abstinence only approach to sex ed. They seem to think that if they say "sex is bad" or "you must wait until marriage" enough times and don't provide contraceptive materials, then teens won't have sex. There's also alot of Catholic influence in that area - and Catholics (officially) are against contraception.

It's the same as in some states where your parents have to sign a permission form stating that you are allowed to have sex. If kids are allowed to or not, they are going to do it. Might as well be safe about it and supply them with protection.

What worries me is the sex-education - it is obviously lacking. While there are still teenage pregnancies in countries like Holland, it is much much lower and the kids are educated about sexuality itself as well as just the rudiments of sex. From what I can tell they have a lot more advanced understanding of the whole thing, and therefore can make more informed choices. Teenagers are always going to have sex, but at least we should insure that they know exactly what they are doing and all the possible consequences.

I don't think teenage pregnancy is 'wrong' - I think we have created a culture with a lot of hypocrisy that makes it very difficult for younger mothers - whether or not their pregnancy is an informed choice.

But we're British you know! We can't be open and forthright about sex and sexuality. Besides if we ignore it long enough it'll just go away.

:dohh:

I read about this yesterday. For some reason adults people seem to forget that when they were teenagers they would have sex whether parents, schools, society like it or not. Kids should definately be taught sex ed from an early age, the benefits of safe sex and the downfalls of not so safe sex in my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->