Pregnancy purging.. winter belly questions.

SaraVO

Reaction score
I was talking to my husband about the bump that should be really making an appearance any day now... (eighteen weeks) and talking about my wardrobe and what might last for awhile and how many cardigans and misc. Items I have and my husband suggested that I go through and organize things so that I can actually look at my wardrobe. So, I have taken all of the clothes I don't have a chance of wearing and put them in a really big box. I have discovered that I have more than I thought I did. Eleven button down or open sweaters, three pairs of comfy sweat pants that will probably fit over or under the belly. Two stretchy dresses that will work for at least the holiday celebrations. That with the three maternity pants and five shirts my mom bought me I think I'm doing pretty well. I would so much rather spend the money on baby clothes than temporary maternity clothes.

Just wondering if there are must have items I'm not aware of and most importantly Idaho is cold. What do we do about a coat with a bump? I don't really want to spend a lot on something I will only wear for a few months. What did you do? What do I absolutely need for the winter baby belly?

Layers! I had a pretty tight fitting coat last pregnancy (due at the end of June but sub zero temps lasted until the end of March) and it wasn't until March that I stopped being able to zip it. My belly was enormous as i have a short torso. Now I'm worried because I'm due in April and that's still winter here in new England. I don't want to spend a ton on a coat either but it's surprising how many ofyour old clothes will fit you! I'm guessing I'll just wear an unzipped coat for the last month or two. Maybe someone else has a better idea though.

My long Winter wool trench coat I had to stop buttoning mid Winter. I didn't buy any extra coats just for Winter. It's not like I was going out for long walks in the cold, just to/from car for work or wherever. For exercise I did mall walking with my baby (I had an infant I had adopted at the same time I got pregnant).

I had one heavy sweater, but mostly made use of light sweaters and a few long sleeve or 3/4 sleeve shirts. My body temperature runs hot when I'm pregnant, so i didn't need many heavy clothes, just clothes that would fit over my bump and were appropriate for work.

My coats are getting thight now already. It's not the cold here in Western Canada, its the rain. Thank heavens that I can use an umbrella. I think I might go into a thrift store fr a wayerproof coat that's a size or two up. That way I don't have to spend too much.

I like the thrift store idea. I actually do walk outside a few times a day. For my dog and it's something I really do enjoy and don't want to give up just because I'm cold. But I could get a big coat, dry clean it and be done. I think I'm going to wait until the belly is actually here to buy anything else. It's super weird trying to plan for a body that I have no idea what it will be like. But my husband said it would make me feel better to have at least a few outfits so I'm not crying in a corner when it's time to meet friends for dinner. I think he is anticipating things better than I am at the moment. Or he just knows me. Either way I do feel more relaxed getting things ready. And getting my favorites put away so they're not taunting me.

Here you can buy coat inserts/ extensions that can be attached to the sides of your own coat. But idk if I will even buy that. I am thinking I might try to close the gap with a doubled blanket scarf. Any thick scarf will do really. Then of course the coat would have to be belted in some way but I plan to do this anyway since it makes it obvious you are pregnant. I also like to wear thick wool cardis or ponchos over winter jackets when it gets cold.
I only have a fall picture of a look like that but I recently wore this with a leather jacket. Of course with a bigger belly you'll find the blanket scarf in the middle or something :D.

I plan to not buy many maternity brands but instead wear lots of long sweaters with leggings, skirts, and long dresses. I do buy from flea markets a lot anyway and often when the size is too big I alter skirts or dresses to fit me. I just bought a lot of vintage skirts in a size large that I will take in just enough to fit under my belly and after pregnancy I will undo the pleats and tailor them to my waist.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-11-09-09-41-10.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-11-09-09-41-10.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 34
Mine is due in March, which means I am going through whatever winter we get in England this year, I can't justify a new coat, so have instead bought a couple of heavy men's jumpers from charity shops, the kind that men who work outside wear. Due to their bulk, they've been very, very cheap. Admittedly, if you're a bit more girly this might not work, but I tend to favour men's jumpers at the best of times, so hopefully those, scarves and large zip up hooded tops will cover me through the worst of the weather! I am going to get myself a cheap waterproof too, just to go over the top of it all as it tends to rain here, a lot.

Where I'm struggling is with nice clothes, I feel my basics are ok, but I have a christmas meal to dress for, I don't want to spend a fortune on a dress, but I do want to look nice. Hoping ebay will come good for that!

I know all about cold winters being from Buffalo, so I went to a few local consignment shops and got a nice maternity winter coat for $20 and some other sweaters and pants in total I spent $100 and got 5 pieces. Which I can in return sell back or donate... Good luck!

I'm planning on layering and getting a big scarf for when my coat doesn't fasten anymore!

I've heard that we ladies run hot when we get bigger I'm due in April which is chilly here.. sometimes. I usually am cold born and raised in southern California hasn't ever toughened me up to the cold but I might be concerned about being freezing for no good reason. I think I will muster some patience or call up a girl friend who likes to shop used stores and go see what it's about. I bought my maternity pants and shirts at walmart and old navy online. I am a little girly in style but I would rather do my shopping from my couch. I've never had the patience to go hunting through thrift stores. But I'm not spending a hundred dollars on a coat for three months of my life.

Mine is due in March, which means I am going through whatever winter we get in England this year, I can't justify a new coat, so have instead bought a couple of heavy men's jumpers from charity shops, the kind that men who work outside wear. Due to their bulk, they've been very, very cheap. Admittedly, if you're a bit more girly this might not work, but I tend to favour men's jumpers at the best of times, so hopefully those, scarves and large zip up hooded tops will cover me through the worst of the weather! I am going to get myself a cheap waterproof too, just to go over the top of it all as it tends to rain here, a lot.

Where I'm struggling is with nice clothes, I feel my basics are ok, but I have a christmas meal to dress for, I don't want to spend a fortune on a dress, but I do want to look nice. Hoping ebay will come good for that!

Jcpenney online has so many dresses I have one with an empire waste that cinches just below my boobs. I think that is going to be my holiday party dress we only have a few to go to and I can just put different accessories on and if people notice oh well... I've been photographed in the same dress at two weddings and a party. The no repeat rule are for celebrities I just tell people that I love how I feel in it and I only get to enjoy it for black tie events.

Knit wraps or shawls with a tie will be your best friend. Buy 2 sizes. They're cute, lightweight but warm! If you layer with them you should be ok considering how HOT you will be despite the temperatures. Everywhere I go I'm sweating my ass off and OH is freezing. NW WA gets pretty cold too!

I am REALLY lucky, and a friend gave me a maternity parka. My other plan was to get a wool cape coat. They have no waistlines, and they've been in fashion for a couple of seasons now. I figured it'd be something that fit while pregnant that I could still wear in future winters.

I've also heard of women, just 'stealing' their husband's coats to get them through the Winter. I think that's what my sister did. He had a nice heavy leather coat she used.

Layers! I had a pretty tight fitting coat last pregnancy (due at the end of June but sub zero temps lasted until the end of March) and it wasn't until March that I stopped being able to zip it. My belly was enormous as i have a short torso. Now I'm worried because I'm due in April and that's still winter here in new England. I don't want to spend a ton on a coat either but it's surprising how many ofyour old clothes will fit you! I'm guessing I'll just wear an unzipped coat for the last month or two. Maybe someone else has a better idea though.

Maybe get a maternity sweatshirt or something you could wear as a layer that will fit over your bump. I used to live in VT as well and it is supposed to be a cold winter this year! Whereabouts are you from up there?

I'm over in your neck of the woods, and what I did with my last winter pregnancy was wear a long snow coat that had two zippers. I'd zip the coat from my neck down to the top of my bump, and then have it unzipped from the bump down, that way it at least kept most of my torso nice and warm. And this was the same coat I wore before pregnancy, so it's not a "maternity-only" option.

Just set up my maternity wardrobe for this winter, which mainly consists of tunic type sweater dresses and fleece-lined leggings. I found some cheap ones on Amazon for about $12 each. They aren't specifically maternity, but are "high waisted" with a very comfortable, wide elastic waistband. They fit right over the bump and are oh so cozy! (Brand name for the ones I got were VIV if anyone is interested.) Way cheaper than actual "maternity leggings" from the brand name stores, but they look exactly the same! Great under oversized sweaters or layering under pants in colder weather.

Haven't bought a maternity jacket yet, I'll wait to see how big the bump gets. Might just get away with buying one second hand a size up.

My body temperature runs hot when I'm pregnant, so i didn't need many heavy clothes, just clothes that would fit over my bump and were appropriate for work.

I live in Canada and winters can sometimes get as low as -40 degrees (C and F) so a good coat is definitely needed. I'm due in April but some winters have lasted until the end of April/early May.

I'm a bigger girl and my own coat was starting to get a little tight in the belly area so I decided to get a new coat :) Since it's my birthday month, I had a 50% off coupon for any item in my favourite plus size store! So I got a nice $224 coat for $112! It's surprisingly my size but a little bigger which is great, and has adjustable sides! That way I can get a nice waist look for now and as my belly grows, I adjust it to be looser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->