Pregnancy safe lipsticks!

BlushingBride

Reaction score
Hey ladies! So before becoming a mama I took interest in learning about all the chemicals and toxins we come across through foods, cleaning products, cosmetics, etc. and I've been in the habit for years of reading every label before purchasing something. Fast forward to being pregnant and I take that "interest" a little more seriously now. I've noticed that majority of lipsticks and lip glosses' number 1 ingredient is castor oil. I also know that the average woman consumes pounds of lipstick each year (unintentionally). Putting two and two together, and knowing castor oil is used to induced labor, I was wondering if this was safe? Have any of you heard of needing to stay away from it because of the castor oil?

Sincerely,
A serious over thinker :haha:

Castor oil never worked for my labor induction. Lol I wouldn't stress it.

When DH and I were diagnosed with infertility, I started worrying about stuff like this, too, and heard the same stats. However, upon looking into it further, I found out that real research has determined that women on average only use (not swallow, just use) a total of about 3.7 lbs of lipstick in their entire lifetimes. So saying you wear lipstick from 15-65 (and I'd say most women use it earlier or later as well) you're only actuall using a little over an ounce a year.

The lowest dose of castor oil to induce labor (that I've ever heard of) is about 2 tbsp, so given that lipstick in not pure castor oil, you'd likely have to eat about a years worth of lipstick to get the equivalent of even the lowest dose. (ew...)

Think of it this way, to induce AF or labor, you're supposed to take enough castor oil that it induces diarrhea as well. That would be like eating a dozen sticks of lipstick all at once!!

-another total over-thinker

If you are very concerned, weigh your favorite lipstick on a kitchen scale and wear only that lipstick when you put on makeup. Weigh it again in a month and you will see it's only a few grams of actual lipstick missing and you should be reassured.

Or, go to a health food store and buy a tinted gloss. They should be able to tell you exactly what it in their products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->