Pregnant and 55

O

Ozzieshunni

I'm watching this show and I'm thinking to myself, I can understand wanting a baby so badly, but I'm conflicted because if you have a baby at 55, but the time the child is 30, you'll be 85. I know we could all die the next day or whatever, but is there an age that people should stop considering to have children?

mmm tough one! Like you i'm conflicted coz it's so hard to predict what will happen in the future. I think 55 is too old but it would depend on the mother physically

For example, My mum was 41 when she had me and back then did receive a lot of stick for having a baby past 40 but is now 68, lives an active lifestyle and still refuses to give up work because she says that if she does then she would become old quickly iykwim. On the other hand there is my MIL who had my husband when she was 22 who actually thrives on being ill and is quite happy to succumb to old age even tho she is only 50.

When our 2 come along i will feel 100% more comfortable knowing my mother is looking after them than my MIL and my mum is 18 years older.

I think my opinion would have to be purely based on the individual xx

I personally wouldn't want to be pregnant over 45. I think it would be too much for my body (I'm really unfit lol). Completely depends on the person I suppose.

Cx

I agree that it totally depends on the person :flow:

It depends on the person. I dont believe anyone has the right to tell someone they are too young/old to have a baby (not saying you are :) ) because everyone is different. I myself cannot see myself having a baby at 55, saying that if i was to fall pregnant at that age then i would not abort/put up for adoption.

No worries, I never said it was wrong :flower: :) I was just asking a question.

Personally I wouldn't and being honest I don't like to say people that old having children, for the age reason ie them being even 10 and you being 65? I want to have my children young so I can spend the rest of my hopefully long life with them. x

Well my dh is 56 and we have an 11yo, 9yo and a 2yo.

What's the difference other than the woman of course has to go though the physical pregnancy

I don't see age as an issue, for obvious reasons really, and that works both ways

I wpuldnt want to have a baby past 40 i think for a few reasons.

I personally wouldnt. I will have a 37 year old daughter by the time im 55. I'm hoping to be a grandma by then!

It doesnt bother me what other people do. But its definitely not for me.

For me, the right age for a person to have a child is whatever age their body will give them one at (once they have reached adulthood). It is a very general view and of course is complicated by infertility issues etc, But of someone falls naturally pregnant at 50 or 55 then fair enough, their body clearly thinks they are capable of bearing a child and probably will live longer. Not keen to see people go for IVF at that age though. Although it is an entirely personal choice and I wouldn't judge them. I'm an older mum (35 when Abby was born). and the only regret I have is I wish I had longer with her.

Its not something I would do out of choice but each to their own I suppose, I never wanted to be an older mum but thats the way it worked out I'm 37 byw not 55 :haha:

The number thats always been in my head is 35, but thats very personal to me, its not what I would say for anyone else. Really does depend on the individual xx

For me the fact that a 30 year old will have an 85 year old parent is a non-issue. As you say yourself, people die at all ages and having a child at 20 dies not guarantee that you will be with them for another 60 years. I was 29 when my Mum died so living without a parent is something close to me, as is the fact that I will probably become my Dad's carer.

However, I would think it was unlikely that I would chose to have a child in my 50s. 40s is a different matter though. 40 is looming large on my horizon and does not seem old!

who will be taking care of who???!!! LOL joking of course. There's a bunch of kids raised by their grandparents all the time I think the hard part would be pregnancy at an older age

I do think it's interesting how it's barely acknowledged with men. My Dad would have been (if I'm counting right) 52 when I was born, 54 with my little sister. I wasn't arsed, I thought all the other families were the odd ones having parents so young. I don't think I had a single comment about it. He would be (I think) 76 now, that would not seem unusual to me.
Obviously as a mother it is different as pregnancy takes it's toll on your body and you need to be healthy for the child, but in terms of judgement I don't know why it is.

There is an age when women should stop having children I guess, as determined by nature! I always likes the idea of starting a family late (says the 23 year old :dohh:).

I think the line starts to get blurry when a woman is trying to have kids around 45-50. But it's such an individual thing, you can't really pick one age.

For me, the right age for a person to have a child is whatever age their body will give them one at (once they have reached adulthood). It is a very general view and of course is complicated by infertility issues etc, But of someone falls naturally pregnant at 50 or 55 then fair enough, their body clearly thinks they are capable of bearing a child and probably will live longer. Not keen to see people go for IVF at that age though. Although it is an entirely personal choice and I wouldn't judge them.
That's a very understandable view, leave it up to nature. If an older woman gets pregnant naturally, then her body is probably ready to handle it.

I do think it's interesting how it's barely acknowledged with men.
Obviously as a mother it is different as pregnancy takes it's toll on your body and you need to be healthy for the child, but in terms of judgement I don't know why it is.
Yeah, especially when you consider that men statistically don't have as long of lifespans as women!

Why is there always an opinion when the woman is older? Nobody ever bats an eyelide with the father is 60 odd lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->