Pregnant & Job Hunting

Sassymom

Reaction score
Hello! I have a quandary and I was hoping you all could give me some advice.

I will be 11 weeks pregnant tomorrow, and I am finishing up some interviews for a job that was practically MADE for me. When the job got posted, I didn't know I was pregnant and I have been waiting around for the interviews with my boss and othe co-workers. (Background: I have been temping with this company/group for 4 years. Boss finally got the head count approved so I know everyone an work with them closely).

My boss said they are wrapping up the process Monday and if I am chosen I would get my offer letter early next week.

Here is where my guilt/quandary comes in. Should I tell them I am pregnant before I get the offer so they don't feel I "tricked them" or do I tell them after I get the job / after I am 12 weeks like I am supposed to? What would you do in my position?

Thanks!

Oh my goodness I am in a similar situation. We just moved across the states for my dh's new job... but I got pregnant soon after we moved here! I need to find work but don't know how. Stalking this thread to see advice! Good luck to you! If you are honest and say you didn't know when you first applied, but tell them before you accept, I think that would be best. Scary though. If they say never mind, then you did everything in your power to do the right thing. They may not as you're probably planning on returning to work after you have the baby.

I have been in your situation about 10 years ago I was fresh out of college and had landed a job with a Fortune 500 company and I knew I was 4 weeks pregnant. I didn't tell them til after the job because the reality of it is they will judge you and probably eliminate you altogether if you tell them that.

In their minds you will need maternity leave, sick days, and you may not be so focused on the job because you have a newborn. So wait is what I would say.

I do plan on coming back after maternity leave, OH and I are not in a position for me to be a SAHM right now. I just don't want them to deny me the job because I am pregnant, a job I have worked for 4 years to get.

I wish you the best of luck in your job search Steph!

See I didn't even think of that. I guess I've been working in the nonprofit sector too long :blush:

no. do not tell them. You are not cheating them or lying to them. Depending on where you live, there are different limitations/timing when you need to give notice.

True they are not allowed to use pregnancy as a factor in their decision but I really don't think you will want that sitting in the back of their minds just on the chance it could carry weight.

I didn't tell me my boss until i was 24 weeks. He thanked me for the generous notice. I had thought I wasn't given much but apparently it was plenty.

Where I am, Canada, I am not obligated to "announce" until 30 days prior...i believe (working from memory).

Steph, It's wonderful that you have had jobs where them denying a job because of pregnancy would never be an issue. My company is a 10 billion dollar global company who's main saying is "dispassionate portfolio management" in other words, take the humanness out of it and make the decision that will put more money in our pockets.

no. do not tell them. You are not cheating them or lying to them. Depending on where you live, there are different limitations/timing when you need to give notice.

True they are not allowed to use pregnancy as a factor in their decision but I really don't think you will want that sitting in the back of their minds just on the chance it could carry weight.

I didn't tell me my boss until i was 24 weeks. He thanked me for the generous notice. I had thought I wasn't given much but apparently it was plenty.

Where I am, Canada, I am not obligated to "announce" until 30 days prior...i believe (working from memory).

I just read the law in my state and I have to work for 3 months and give 2 weeks notice. I want to vaguely ask what is company policy when I talk to HR, hopefully it's the same as the law or better

I just read the law in my state and I have to work for 3 months and give 2 weeks notice. I want to vaguely ask what is company policy when I talk to HR, hopefully it's the same as the law or better

No matter the company policy at least you will have the law to fall back on! I would keep it mum just so that they dont unknowingly use that against you.

No matter the company policy at least you will have the law to fall back on! I would keep it mum just so that they dont unknowingly use that against you.

That's what I have been leaning towards. I just feel guilty lol

what an awful thing....guilt!

what an awful thing....guilt!

Lol yeah, I think if I didn't know how much of a good guy my boss is and I don't get along with all my co-workers, it wouldn't be as bad. June and July are our crazy months and I am due June 6th with 6 week maternity leave... :p

Tough stuff! Good advice, ladies. I was lucky to work at an easy going nonprofit where I felt I was doing good... but on the other hand, it would be nice to have a job where you know you'll be working six months down the line!

I have a sister in law who announced to everybody she was pregnant and was in a temp job. When they had to lay people off she was one of the first to go. Now she has been unemployed for 6 months and is due next month.she is struggling because her bf makes very low pay as well. She kept telling every interview she went to she was pregnant and would need maternity leave in December and January and basically turned them off of her because they saw a liability. It isn't really fair but its unfortunately how businesses think

I'm Unemployed and just found out I am pregnant a couple days ago. If I were in your situation, I would wait until a few weeks after I received an offer to let them know you're pregnant. That gives you enough time to prove yourself in your 'permanent' role, and gives them enough of a gap between hiring you and your announcement so they do not feel like you manipulated them.

Just got my BFP today and I am 60 days into a temp to perm position. They have mentioned making me perm by the end of the year. Since I will still be in the first trimester I don't feel any obligation to tell them until early February when I would tell everyone else.

I will need the income and benefits for the little peanut, and I know how companies think, I work in a law firm and know that they would not hesitate to not extend me an offer. I think that makes us even :)

Congrats to you littlelotus and calibelle on your BFPs! And thank you for your advice. I am defiantly going to keep my mouth shut until I get an offer and things are going smoothly with the job. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->