Pregnant ladies with pets, are you getting this?

Ambivalent

Reaction score
We have a dog and a cat who are normally quite attention seeking, but in the last week both have become extremely needy. If I am upstairs where the dog isn't allowed, he'll sit and cry on the stairs until I go back down. If I am in the sitting room, he'll stand and breathe on me and when I tell him to go lie down he'll throw me puppy eyes and cry. Menawhile my cat will cry endlessly until I give her my undivided attention, and she refuses to eat unless I am there with her.

I feel terrible, but the neediness is driving me nuts, I hate it. I have no patience for it and now I worry that I will feel the same frustration and anger towards the baby.

Anybody else getting this grief from their pets? AND not coping with it? maybe I am just losing the plot.

Our dog has always been needy, there may have been a little change in his behaviour lately, but not too much & it isn't really annoying. He has been a little more sulky when we go out &goes extra crazy when we get home, but that is about it.

My cat used to hate cuddles. He was not a lap cat. He liked being in the same room, but at a distance. Since I was about 13 weeks pregnant, he's got so cuddly and affectionate. When he's in the house, he follows me from room to room. I sit down, he has to be on me, I sleep, he sleeps alongside me, I have a bath, he sits in the hand basin!! He even started growling at oh the other day be aide he went to hold my hand!! x

Before I got pregnant my dog generally did his own thing during the day between walks. Since about the second trimester he has become a lot more attention seeking. He will bring his toys and whine if I say no I can't play if I'm busy. Before if I said no when he brought his toy he would just go away and realise I was busy. He has also become more protective when we are out walking. A dog tried to jump up on me the other day and he growled at him. I don't find the change in him particularly annoying. Sometimes when I'm trying to do something and he's whining to play it can be a bit annoying :haha:
I wouldn't worry about it. Your hormones are all over the place and I guess pets can just sense something is changing. They are probably trying to get the most of our attention before our babies come :haha:

my dog is needy thats her nature as shes a bichon she hates being on her own she was more of OH's dog even though he brought her for me for christmas but just lately shes all me it is annoying when you have a toddler and a needy dog on your case lol

you may find your cat and dog will snap out of it when baby is here

Our critters get it. They also feel our excitement/sadness/angst/happiness/anger and the like. They're just vibing off your particular frame of mind. My partially retired working border collie, who has ALWAYS been at side, whether I want her there or not, has taken to hanging out (far) away from me when I'm in my nasty, moody spells. Smart dog.

My dog (border collie cross) just feels the need to be on me at all times lately. When im sat on the settee she has to be draped over my legs and when i lay down she cuddles her head into the side of my bump. Its like she knows theres a baby in there its weird. Shes always been a loving dog but not this loving!!

My dog has pretty much remained the same in terms of neediness. My cat however, loooves to curl up on or next to the bump at every chance she gets. So much so that I wish those nursery noise machines had a 'Cat Purr' option. I'm sure Zoey gets an earful every time and would find the purr soothing.
Here's the proof. ;)
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/ItsMe12288/image_zps4d7aa2fc.jpg

When I was pregnant for the first time my dog was still a puppy, well about 1 year and just wanted to snuggle in with me and would love to stand up and ''check in the moses basket that the baby was alright'' it was so cute, my OH would be at work all day so we just snuggled up on the sofa...she was my ''baby'' UNTIL the baby came along then she became a dog!! The dog and my DD love each other and she is always climbing all over her!! This pregnancy she has become a terror dog, she wont listen to commands, chewed the windowsill and door frame while we were out one day, wont eat her food unless it is warmed, gives me puppy dog eyes and has now started peeing and pooping all over the house!! Im sick of it but I love her so much!! Im hoping this behaviour stops as soon as the new baby comes!! Maybe its because I havent been taking her out twice a day since I can barely walk :shrug:

My dog has pretty much remained the same in terms of neediness. My cat however, loooves to curl up on or next to the bump at every chance she gets. So much so that I wish those nursery noise machines had a 'Cat Purr' option. I'm sure Zoey gets an earful every time and would find the purr soothing.
Here's the proof. ;)
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/ItsMe12288/image_zps4d7aa2fc.jpg

That is so adorable!!! I love the pictures :)
My dog has always been snuggly but the last couple of weeks even more so!

My female cat is super needy, she follows me everywhere when I'm home, if i nip to the garden she's there waiting by the door, she comes to the toilet with me and waits right next to the bath whilst im in there :dohh: My male cat on the other hand couldnt care less :haha:

I have 2 miniature schnauzers who are 5. One of them prefers me & the other my DH, well this seems to have changed over the past few weeks! 'My' dog is always snuggling up to my DH and 'his' likes to be close to me, it's very strange indeed!

Funny post, yesterday morning my cat was doing my head in pestering me in bed. He's always been a bit of a naughty thing in the morning but I did actually say out loud to him that if I can't cope with his pestering how on earth will I cope with baby!

Yes! I think she can sense the changes in me. She is totally possessive and won't leave my sight. Today she has been even more needy, almost knocking me down as I walk up the stairs. Someone mentioned with their heightened sense of hearing that she might be able to hear heartbeats, but I think it's just the hormones I am sending out :) we had her when I was pg with dd2 and she was the same. Once baby was born she felt out of place a bit and didn't really want anything to do with baby. (5 year old hound/terrier mix, 35 pounds)

Animals do sense pregnancy, and their behavior will sometimes alter as a result.

Our cat usually wants absolutely nothing to do with me (I'm a dog person and he seems to recognize that, lol), he is all DH's cat...unless I am pregnant. When I was pregnant with DD1, he would follow me around and constantly want to lay down next to me or ON me if he could. After DD was born, he went back to his old self.

Now that I am pregnant with DD2, the affection and attention I am receiving from our cat is the same as it was the first time around. He follows me around, even meowing at me to get my attention, and he constantly wants to lay on me...only this time he has competition for my lap..from DD1! lol :haha:

Yup
Happened last time and its the same again this time. Me and my dog are quite closely bonded (he's a working dog) so have a slightly more special relationship than any other pet dog I have owned. He is very clingy now and is on the look out for 'strange things', lol.
Last time I was in hospital having my daughter he stayed in his bed for the full 3 days, getting up to relieve himself and eat. If you think about it, I think he was missing me and was confused. I left in full labour, in pain and distressed. I then didn't come back. As far as he was concerned he probably thought I wasn't ever coming back. I wish I filmed his reaction when I finally did - absolute amazement :)
Rx

The only difference really in my dogs is the amount of belly button and crutch sniffing, my youngest is the only one who stays in the house he's gone though stages but he's been fairly normal might be due to his age will be 11 months on EDD.

My other guys don't seemed to have noticed apart from them getting less work, the odd thing was when I was taken into hospital DH said all the dogs were very unsettled and very quiet. it's taken over a week to get 2 of them eating properly again.

I am so glad it isn't just my furry monsters behaving strangely. I just hope they will be a bit more independent when baby is here as there are not enough hours in the day to give them all attention. And I hope I will not get as exasperated with baby.

Sarah125, my dog started barking at our neighbour when he approached me the other day which is very unusual behaviour for him. Maybe it is a bit of extra protectiveness kicking in. Have you noticed it a lot from your dog?

Itsme122, your cat is adorable. Does she/he do the cat thing of stomping around a bit before lying down, and if so, doesn't that hurt your belly? Or do you just keep her on your legs?

Mummy to be87, I was thinking it could be the fact that I am walking him less. It is strange that your dog is reacting so differently this pregnancy though. I hope it settles soon.

Yes, my dog has completely changed. He used to hate cuddles but now it's all he wants and his behaviour has gotten so much better over the past 2 weeks or so. Not that he was bad before, but little things that used to annoy me with his behaviour have either disappeared or gotten so cute. He definitely knows something's going on. I don't know if I'm just becoming soft knowing that I've only got a few days left with him before the baby comes.

I have two young huskies who are always pretty affectionate but the last few weeks they have been all over me, it's adorable! They always come check on me and cuddle me. My girl is extra cuddly and licks my bump a lot now haha she won't leave me alone at the moment, which I don't mind :) When I had morning sickness she would always stop what she was doing and lay down next to me while I chucked my guts up, so lovely. My boy doesn't care so much, but he is so cuddly at the moment. As I type this laying in my bed, they are both laying on the floor next to me. Sometimes it looks as though they are 'guarding' me the way they lay, right next to me or in the doorway where they can see me and if anyone is coming up the hallway. So cute <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->