Pregnant with Flu: Is my Baby Ok???

CHolderfield

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm 8 weeks pregnant and recovering from the flu. I am so very worried about the health of my baby. Due to everyone in my OBGYN office taking vacation in the same month (seriously), the soonest I can be seen is Jan 15th. I have so many questions and fears. I was hoping someone on this forum has experienced flu during their first trimester and can provide some reassurance until I can actually speak with a doctor.

Here's my story. I'm an RN in an ER and its flu season. I wear masks, wash my hands, etc. But due to my weakened immune system I inevitably got the flu. As soon as I began feeling bad and feverish I went to urgent care with low grade fever and tested negative so they sent me home saying Tamiflu was contraindicated anyway, hope you feel better, seeya. That night my fever went up to 100.6 but I was worried so I called the on-call OBGYN. She said only if the fever should get up to 102-103 range should I worry, take tylenol, feel better soon, goodnight.

So of course the next night my fever got out of control (103.2) and since I'd taken so much Tylenol without any decrease in temperature I went to the local ER, got even more Tylenol, a liter of fluids and a prescription for Tamiflu because this time I did test positive for flu. The ER doctor had spoken with my on-call OBGYN and she approved of me taking the drug.

My worries: How much Tylenol is too much? I had taken 1000mg every 6 hours for the first three days of sickness, then 500mg every 4 until my fever finally broke. ER doc said it was fine, but I'm curious to see how mine and my baby's liver looks. Also, how much damage did my fever cause my baby? I googled the horrific things that could happen (neural tube defects, spina bifida, r e tardation, etc). It was only high for that one night. Is that all it takes? Lastly, I have also read conflicting opinions on the safety of Tamiflu on pregnant women. It's category C, but with my weakened immune system I needed something or else end up on a ventilator with pneumonia. I've read it causes birth defect such as bone deformities. I don't want my child to be born in liver failure, suffer from spina bifida or have a third arm!

Please, someone must have also experienced the flu during the 1st trimester. I need reassurance that your babies are ok, or at least a heads up that they aren't.

Thank you, Cat

Forgot to mention: I have been having painful abdominal cramping, but nothing terrible and clear vaginal discharge. Should I worry about this too?

And would it be dumb to call and ask to speak with a OBGYN instead of waiting for my appointment?

Thanks

Hello I would try to take less as possible especially in the first trimester I know tylenol is safe but I try not taking anything if I don't have to but I know the flu is no fun. I do think your baby will be okay

Good luck hope U feel better

I have strep throat and am taking amoxicillin and Tylenol. Your baby will be just fine hun! My best friend lived on a morphine drip due to severe pain from fibroids and gave birth to a perfect baby girl in April. Xx

I think the fevers more dangerous than the Tylenol. But that's just imo.
Wanted to jump on just to say to try to really pump up your vitamin c as it can help counteract spica bifida. Hope you feel better soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->