Pregnant with no.2 and heading for another diabetic one. Anyone else?

Londonbump81

Reaction score
Hello,
Feeling rather flat at the prospect of having to deal with diabetes again during this pregnancy and was wondering if there was anyone else in first tri who was experiencing the same? xx

I had gestational diabetes with my first, and am aware that the risk of having it again with this one is much higher. Do you already think you have it, or are you just dreading the prospect?

I hated having it last time - the constant worrying about everything I ate and the affect it might be having on baby was horrid.

Hi there, I've been eating like I'm diabetic ever since I found out I was pregnant so have been checking carbs and mixing lots of proteins in but yeah, freaking out about everything I eat still! I've had bloods done and they seem fine at the mo but already under consultant care and have to go to the endo clinic on Friday (I'll only be 9+2 then). My biggest fear is induction at the end as I had a failed induction (4 days long) with my first which ended in emergency c section and I've never got over that awful experience so finding it hard to be positive about this pregnancy right now. That makes me sound so ungrateful but I'm just anxious! Were you insulin dependent with yours? How was your delivery?? x

How do you know you are heading for another diabetic pregnancy? I'm just curious because I have no idea how one even gets it. Or, for that matter, how to prevent it from happening.

Im pregnant with my fourth, have been GD with the past three pregnancies, first 2 diet controlled last one insulin controlled, so Im assuming I will have it again. Its managable if controlled and you are cared for properly during your pregnancy. :)

I was diagnosed at 8 weeks with my boys so I'm starting to do home testing now at 4 weeks. I had to take insulin from 8 weeks until the day before delivery and then I was fine.

How do you know you are heading for another diabetic pregnancy? I'm just curious because I have no idea how one even gets it. Or, for that matter, how to prevent it from happening.

It is more than likely that if you've had GD before you'll get it again, that saying it's not for certain and I'm sure there are people who haven't developed it again. Generally you get it because you get it (if that makes sense). It can be hereditary, it can be more prevalent in different ethnic groups but really it's luck of the draw. My sister (who is slim and active) had 2 diabetic pregnancies and I developed it in my final tri last time round resulting in insulin at the end. There isn't anything you can really do to stop it, it's the placenta that takes over and affects the ability of your natural insulin hence eating low gi, protein Rich and complex carb diet to try and control it. This is what I'm doing now. I think the stats are about 1 in 10 pregnant women develop it. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->