Premmie baby due to come home

Emily has now turned a corner and has not desated during a feed for a week. I am going to room in tonight!!! I am so emotional today I keep welling up. I am very excited, apprehensive and scared at the same time. I have willed away the time to this very day! I feel like this is all a dream, Emily will finally become our baby as opposed to belonging to the SCBU.
I am rooming in without my hubby as the hospital does not accomodate fathers so am quite scared, I know the staff will there to help but it is not the same without your hubby supporting you.
Fingers crossed all will go well...

Good luck with your rooming in. It is scary but so wonderful to have your baby all to yourself and care for them. i feel for you being on your own, I was for the 2nd and 3rd nights, but its not too bad as all the fantastic staff are there for you should you need them which is a great support.
Emily is so close to going home now!!!:)

Emily is now home and is taking lots of time to settle in. We are so pleased she is now home and we feel like a real family. We feel like Emily is finally ours and not the special baby units.
I can't believe she is finally home and have to pinch myself. I can't stop staring at her and wanting to hold her close all the time.

Can anyone offer advice on establishing a routine...I thought I could adopt the four hourly approach by the hospital however Emily has different ideas so am wondering whether I should go to demand feeding again, we tried that before with Emily in the Unit but she did not consume the required amounts so they put her back to 4 hourly.
Also I am finding it hard to control her temperature and she is still swaddled and has about 4 blankets on in her moses basket, similar amount to what the unit used. Her temperature dropped to 35.7 yesterday so we swaddled her and warmed her up so it went back up to 36.4 which is her average temperature although she always feel slightly warmer than what the thermometer states.

I think someone should write a book on tips and hints for settling a premature baby into your home. Does anyone know any helpful websites?

Emily is now home and is taking lots of time to settle in. We are so pleased she is now home and we feel like a real family. We feel like Emily is finally ours and not the special baby units.
I can't believe she is finally home and have to pinch myself. I can't stop staring at her and wanting to hold her close all the time.

Can anyone offer advice on establishing a routine...I thought I could adopt the four hourly approach by the hospital however Emily has different ideas so am wondering whether I should go to demand feeding again, we tried that before with Emily in the Unit but she did not consume the required amounts so they put her back to 4 hourly.
Also I am finding it hard to control her temperature and she is still swaddled and has about 4 blankets on in her moses basket, similar amount to what the unit used. Her temperature dropped to 35.7 yesterday so we swaddled her and warmed her up so it went back up to 36.4 which is her average temperature although she always feel slightly warmer than what the thermometer states.

I think someone should write a book on tips and hints for settling a premature baby into your home. Does anyone know any helpful websites?

So pleased she is home with you :hugs:, it does take time to get them into a routine cause all they know is the nicu routine. I would stick to the 4 hour feeding for now and then speak to the neonatal nurses when they visit you again and see what they say. Her temp will drop and rise as long as her rooms warm, keep her swaddled she will be fine i know its a worry hun but she will be fine. Bliss is a good website and i dont mind helping if you have any q's just pm me xx p.s Ive seen a few books that you can buy on prem babies i will post a link when i can find them x

Emily has now turned a corner and has not desated during a feed for a week. I am going to room in tonight!!! I am so emotional today I keep welling up. I am very excited, apprehensive and scared at the same time. I have willed away the time to this very day! I feel like this is all a dream, Emily will finally become our baby as opposed to belonging to the SCBU.
I am rooming in without my hubby as the hospital does not accomodate fathers so am quite scared, I know the staff will there to help but it is not the same without your hubby supporting you.
Fingers crossed all will go well...

How did everything go and do you have your LO home now? xx

Congratulations on finally having Emily home. I have just read your story and am very pleased with ur happy ending...Take care..

how are you and Emily settling in hun? You put that baby girl down yet or you still cuddling her hehe x

Just seen your post. . .what a couple of weeks you've both had!

I felt exactly the same when Brooke came home-the little Monkey didnt do anything the same the second she got through our front door. Just try and go with the flow. If you want to demand feed her, then do that-but dont let her go more than 4 hours between feeds :flower: Believe it or not, even though your little baby girl has been in SCBU, your instincts are still running high and you do know best. Its just trusting yourself to make the right decision thats the hard part.

We are all here to support you, and I am sincerely glad that your scbu journey is finally over.

Many congratulations again on the arrival of your sweet little Emily :cloud9:

Thank you everyone for your lovely posts and support. Emily has finally settled into a routine of sorts so we are slowly getting there. She knows she is home now.
Her feeds are better, I changed bottles as I think the teats were too large for her small mouth. Have gone for a softer smaller teat, she prefers these.

I am so obsessed with her I can't leave her alone, I am cuddling her a lot and can't bear to be in a different room to her. I guess this will calm down as we get more settled, we have waited so long to be parents to our LO.
SCBU is slowly becoming a memory and I pray I don't have to return. Am in a slight panic we might as Emily has caught a cold, she is feeding ok but is snuffly, tired and grumpy. No fever thank goodness...will give it one more day and if it does not show signs of letting up then I will go to the GP. I am terrified of she may have RSV, but am sure I am just being paranoid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->