Prenatal Class --- Yay or nay?

undomestic

~Baby girl due November~
Reaction score
So, last time I was at the midwife's my mom picked up some brochures - and a couple were for prenatal classes...
Now, the classes start at $150+ and we're on a budget with baby things and a few other things I'd rather spend the money on (i.e. maternity photos)...
But, this is also my first baby..

So, anyone have advice?

I think they are a really good idea for the first baby.

It really helps you prepare for labourand babies first few weeks . and know whys normal and what to expect .Id also look into a breast feeding class , they are definatly worth it.

You also get to meet other pregant women who are about as far along as you.

If the money's is a problem check with the provider or look at your hospital they can sometimes offer lower rates for you if money is an issue .

I didn't have any with my first as I delivered her at 27 weeks. The MW never even came to the hospital and the nurses didn't really help much but I was fine. I just did what I thought I needed to and moved however felt the best. I actually had no idea it was labor though as they told me the meds to induce would cause some cramps.

I didn't take a prenatal class, the only thing I wish we had was a tour of the hospital which would have been included in the class, but we had such great support staff that we didn't feel out of the loop or like we didn't know what we happening / going to happen.

I do wish I had found a BF class / support group though - I won't need one this time, but I think it really would have helped

prenatal classes are really helpful, and as you said ,it's your first baby, you should know what you are doing

I think it really depends on the tyoe of birth you want. though i firmly believe the more educated you are about it, the better choices you can make, reguradless of how you approach birth and reguardless of the staff at the hospital.

For me, birthing my first in a US hospital and really having a desire to have an unmedicated birth, i feel it was imperative. Not so much for the actual labor part but just knowing how to decide if an intervention is necessary or not. So basically it gave me the opportunity to be a well informed consumer, which is very important for those wanting to go natural.
It also gave me and my dh some techniwues to cope. which was very useful.
The type of class you take will depend on your personal birth philosophy.
I def do NOT regret the $300 we dropped on our Bradley class (which btw, was comprehensive, it met once a week for 12 weeks, so far more informative than any hospital class can offer). We were dirt broke, recent college grads and recently married plus relocated, but i tell you what even though i dont have those professional maternity pictures done (ive got slews of bump pictures though!) im glad i spent it on the class instead bc i know i would not have gotten the birth i wanted (with a face up nonetheless) without learning what i did from the class. It was totally worth it and i believe it set the foundation for future births (Which it did).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->