Prenatal vitamins with or without iodine?!

Sophie2015

Reaction score
My thyroid is borderline. But only during pregnancy. Somehow this has been missed until now...my 5th pregnancy. Saw my RE today and he is considering starting me on Synthroid pending my next lab results in 2 weeks. But tonight it occurred to me, my prenatal vitamin that I've taken for the last 3 years doesn't have any iodine in it. I'm reading the recommendation since 2015 is 150mcg of iodine per day. So I'm taking a poll, kind of. Does your prenatal contain iodine? If so, how much and does it also contain Vitamin K? (I can't take Vit K). Anyone have any info or doctor's advice on this matter? Wish I'd thought about this at my appointment yesterday!!
Thanks 😄

No advice, but I'm following. I also can't take vitamin K.

My Pregnacare contains both Iodine and Vitamin K. What do you mean when you say your thyroid is borderline? Did they give you the actual numbers? It can vary from doctor to doctor, and I have also found that my GPs have no clue that the endocrinologists at the hospitals want pregnant women's thyroxine to be at a different level to non-pregnant women. I had to push for my thyroxine to be increased by my GP as according to them my TSH was normal, but the endocrinologist wanted it lower.
Also, how do you know your thyroid has been borderline and missed in previous pregnancies? Your thyroid is more like to go under active as you get older, but it may have been normal in previous pgs and have just gone borderline in this pg xxxxxxx

My Pregnacare contains both Iodine and Vitamin K. What do you mean when you say your thyroid is borderline? Did they give you the actual numbers? It can vary from doctor to doctor, and I have also found that my GPs have no clue that the endocrinologists at the hospitals want pregnant women's thyroxine to be at a different level to non-pregnant women. I had to push for my thyroxine to be increased by my GP as according to them my TSH was normal, but the endocrinologist wanted it lower.
Also, how do you know your thyroid has been borderline and missed in previous pregnancies? Your thyroid is more like to go under active as you get older, but it may have been normal in previous pgs and have just gone borderline in this pg xxxxxxx

Because it was tested in all my pregnancies and I was hypothyroid but no one caught it until last summer after I lost baby #3. It was caught by my RE's office. They also always retest me after each pregnancy. Non-pregnant I'm fine but the minute I get pregnant it struggles. I was tested this pregnancy at 14 dpo and I was at the cut off for needing synthroid already. Months prior to that my level was fine. I do this every pregnancy.
Oh and I'm an RN and I have the labs and I'm followed now by an OB/GYN, a perinatologist, and several RE's. I'm provided every lab value by them. That's how I know.

Ah, I first went under active in my third pg, this is my fourth. I had myself tested regularly for years anyway as my dad is hypothyroid and all three of my sisters became under active before they were 30, so I suspected mine may play up at some point. The levels were always fine before, but I asked for them to be tested when pg with my daughter and they told me they were low but 'sub clinical'. I never knew the actual numbers throughout that pg, I didn't know quite how important it was at the time, but luckily all turned out well.
I think in a way ignorance is bliss as I've fretted often about it this pg and scared myself by googling. I had my thyroxine increased from 75mg to 100mg at 6 weeks, and a blood test a couple of weeks later showed my TSH to be 3. The doctor said the level was 'fine' but after reading online that NHS guidelines state that when pg levels are best kept below 2.5, I contacted my midwife who spoke to the endocrinologist who confirmed that is what they want. I related this to my GP who raised my thyroxine further to 125mg. Another couple of weeks later my tsh was at 0.9, and a few weeks after that was 1.3, so I'm hoping the new dosage suits me. I have it checked myself monthly anyway to keep an eye on it.
Have they ever thought about giving you thyroxine as soon as you conceive to counteract the sudden impact on your levels? Or are your pre pregnancy levels good enough to take a low dose while trying to conceive?
I have found regular GPs a bit rubbish and slow at all this. When I first asked for my dose to be raised, I saw a locum doctor who wanted to test bloods before changing dose, despite guidelines recommending an immediate increase. I was already 6 weeks, and they had no blood appointments for over a fortnight and she thought that was ok, but I wasn't happy and phoned back. That same doc phoned the endocrinologist herself to check and was told to increase immediately.
If something doesn't feel right, push for further answers. I hope they got on top of it for you xxxxxx

Well I'm in the U.S. so I don't see a GP. But they are pretty good about checking it. Mine is checked pre pregnancy and during pregnancy. The problem is my OB doesn't treat unless it's over 4. Pre pregnancy my tsh runs 1.5. But 14 days after conception it was 2.5. And with my pregnancy that lasted 15 weeks it was 3.05 by 9 weeks. My RE treats anything over 2.5 so he's rechecking it in 11 days. I'm certain I'll be on Synthroid which I'm so not looking forward too. Mainly because of how it has to be taken and how I have to space it out from my other supplements. My life is complicated enough trying to take 400mg of progesterone and work nights! I'm either asleep on my feet at work or useless when I'm off. Hoping my tsh behaves this time. I don't seem to be gaining weight rapidly like I usually do so I'm hoping it'll stay below 2.5. My RE's office just called though and told me not to change my prenatals to one w iodine. After all my losses they want me to do what I'm already doing. FX'd for a good tsh. At least half of my RN friends have this issue in pregnancy but are fine non-pregnant. So it seems pretty common.

They sound much more on the ball than they are here! It must be hard spreading them out, I have to have my thyroxine first thing, my Pregnacare after my biggest meal and my iron last thing at night. It must be much harder with night shifts and other things to take on top!
Good luck for your next result xxxxx

I don't have much advice regarding the thyroid as mine is normal but my vitamin contains 200mcg iodine but no Vit K xx
It's good that your doctor is so thorough with you xx Good luck honey xx

Moom- Are you in the UK? I definitely feel like I'm micromanaged here in the U.S. And after so many losses I love that.

Tinymumma- thank you!

Iodine and folic acid are (were...) the only prenatal supplements I ever took.

Moom- Are you in the UK? I definitely feel like I'm micromanaged here in the U.S. And after so many losses I love that.

Tinymumma- thank you!

Yes, I'm in the UK. I wish they managed us a bit more sometimes haha. At least it's reassuring for you xxxx

I normally use sea salt for my table salt but switched to salt with iodine when I read about the benefits in the first trimester.

They make sea salt with iodine! Or so my RE's nurse tells me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->