Prenatals and orange juice??

Angel022605

5K fun
Reaction score
So I've asked my OBGYN if I need to take prenatals with orange juice and he said that I could if wanted to but didn't have to. Well I beg to differ. I've read that iron is very hard to absorb and it needs a booster such as vitamin C. I've also read that calcium in dairy,especially milk, can hinder the absorption of iron. So my question is.... do I take prenatals WITH or WITHOUT orange juice? Please comment your story.

You're right that iron needs to be taken with vitamin C to optimise absorption. A lot of prenatals though contain vitamin C so you may not need to take extra to help with this. From what I understand prenatals are best taken with water and after your main meal - as long as that doesn't contain too much dairy. If you wanted to take them with orange juice to make sure I don't see that that would be a problem.

I take both prenatals and vitamin C because I read that taking vitamin C when using Clomid increases the chances of ovulation and thus pregnancy:

Hope that helps and baby dust to you!
xx

As a medical professional, your OBGYN is right. You can choose to do it, but you don't have to. As the PP said, it can optimize absorption but your body will absorb most of it without needed help and unless you have an iron deficiency it shouldn't be an issue. Too much iron is not good for you either. You also still get vitamins and minerals from your diet so the foods you are eating need to be watched just as closely if you are going to be strict on vitamins. I only ever take vitamins with water. Hope this helps.

I've had two children, and have never taken a prenatal vitamin with orange juice.

Id listen to your doctor. Personal experience orange juice and prenatals gives me horrid heartburn. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->