Prenatals?

SoldierWife

Reaction score
So after lots and lots of reading when I first found out I was pregnant I decided that for me the gummies were the best choice. I did read that they lack calcium so I also decided on a good calcium supplement. So I went out and bought them and everything was perfectly fine, they made me feel better than normal and I knew they were good for me and the little blip :)

Well I went to my first doc appointment and he made a huge hairy deal about how those weren't good enough and prescribed me another prenatal. Well now I've been taking them for about 2 weeks and they make me BEYOND sick...and super constipated for that matter...

Is this normal? I know they have a lot more in them but is it really worth me getting sick all the time?

Like literally my bathroom trashcan now has a permanent residence next to my bedside.

I would definitely tell your doctor you're having this response! Perhaps there is one that you or he could find that has more natural ingredients in the right ratio. I know that some forms of iron can cause serious constipation, as can some artificial fillers. Maybe he knows of one that is more gentle, or you can shop around and find some that have the same levels of nutrients you need but less fillers. :hugs: I have one that's pretty good. I'll have to change it when I go to the States though. Hope I find another one! The one I have has a minimum amount of fillers.

I'd take your yummy gummies and compare the med quantities in the important items like folic acid, B vits etc. Figure out how are the gummies lacking? If you're deficient in iron or folic acid using gummies you're exposing your baby to ADHD, developmental issues and learning disabilities, and you'll very likely have post partum depression (according to the World Health Org iron carries the Oxygen in your blood to the baby, the min amount a pregnant woman needs is equivalent to eating 30+ heaping plates of spinach!) Folic acid prevents spina bifida, figure out your minimum required of each & ensure your get them no matter what happens.

With the prenatals - he is right, they aren't all created equal :haha: it sounds like he's given you one with the calcium AND iron all in one (yuk), you'll be constipated and pooping out the calcium/iron without getting the benefits. PregVit is a prenatal little pink and little blue pills that separate the calcium from iron. Otherwise when eaten together they bind together in your gut (and you'll have issues:dohh:) pink = morning, blue = night. You can get it with 5mg of Folic Acid and when it's prescribed most health care insurance cover this brand, I pay less that $3/pack.

Iron absorbs with vit C, it's very hard for your body to absorb iron from plants. it's high in red meats (along with choline which helps develop baby's brain). You can also take extra iron in liquid form in the morning with a glass of OJ. I take liquid calcium at night with liquid D as it helps calcium absorb (vit D prevents cancer, depression & post Partum dep).

Hope you feel better soon bella!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->