Preparations for Trying

Charm23

Reaction score
Hi there

I dunno about you guys but I love planning and feeling organised whether it's drawing up a meal plan or making spreadsheets for budgeting. But I've carried this over into baby-related things and once we start officially trying I'm sure I'll find more spreadsheets to create!

I sat down with my mum and made a list of baby items and an average cost to get an idea of how much we would be looking to spend, particularly during pregnancy and up to the first year. We ended up saving double what the list says but we'd rather have too much than not enough.

I've also got a table of girl and boys names, some that I am more keen on than others. Mainly so I don't forget and so we can see what name most suits the little one when they arrive :cloud9:

Anyone else saving ahead of time or do most people just buy things as they go?

I haven't had a baby yet so can't comment to buying as you go but like you I love organising. I love lists, I make lists for everything:haha: my OH thinks I'm mad sometimes. I have sat down and made a list of everything I think we will need/want for a baby and looked around at the average cost for everything on the list, its nice to have a figure in mind.

Well done saving double what you need that's awesome :thumbup:

How long till you's start trying?

I'm wtt until October (if everything goes to plan)
Yes I have enough savings set aside to buy everything we will need. I like to feel prepared financially. I already have a son so I know how much things cost. Xx

Waiting until after our wedding ceremony in June to start trying and I'm really getting the itch. I try to plan but honestly I'm the worst procrastinator in the world. I think what I need to start focusing on in the next few months is getting my body healthy and ready to go through another pregnancy. Pregnancy killed my body last time so I'm hoping to be a bit healthier this time.

We planned a bunch with baby girl (room, names, etc) but at the same time a lot of stuff came together last minute and worked perfectly. It surprised me how much things can just fall into place once that baby shows up.

Jay, nothing set in stone but I imagine it could be any time from our anniversary (early November) onwards :) Glad I'm not the only one crazy for lists, makes me feel much better. With saving we were really lucky because the sale of our house helped a huge amount.

babycrazy, glad to here you are financially all set! I'm guessing it will be a bit cheaper with it being your second? I like your sons name btw, it's one I have considered myself. October seems much closer than November lol - are you impatient to try or are you finding it easy to wait?

Angel, aww congratulations and I hope you have your dream wedding this summer! My broodiness didn't kick in until after we were married because I was kept busy with planning! I agree with you about trying to get healthier and be in the best position possible in readiness for pregnancy! Aria is a beautiful name and again is one we have considered :)

I guess it should be a little cheaper yes. Although I don't have a lot kept from my son. I donated his strollers and have given away lots of clothes. I actually borrowed a car seat off my cousin last time ( I'd probably buy this time) and there is a crib in the family we all use so I'll be pretty set really. I do have a few bags of baby clothes stored at my parents so I shouldn't need clothes for the first year! Hopefully, just need to time it right with the seasons and age!

I'm finding it easy to wait actually. I'm not in a hurry. I have just chosen October as I'm going on holiday in September and don't want to be pregnant :)

Thank you Charm, and I should be more busy with planning but I'm such a huge procrastinator it's been rough. Plus we're already legally married in the courthouse so it's planning a party basically. Now I'm pumped to wear my dress and celebrate with friends but I'm a terrible party planner.

Early November seems so far away but it's going to fly by and before you know it it'll be trying time. Time seems to go by slower when you are waiting on something but then you get there and look back and it wasn't too bad. I need to start slowing down on the looking ahead because going from 1 to 2 I feel like I need to enjoy the time I have with just my daughter before I can't devote as much time to her.

babycrazy, ah well it's a pity but on the positive side you have shopping to look forward to! I'm already having quick peeks at the baby sections but not going to buy anything however tempting it is! It's great that you have a family crib! We had the one that I used as a baby but eventually had to get rid of it as we just didn't have the space, its a shame as it was handmade by my mums grandad. Glad you're finding it easy to wait, unlike some of us!! Where are you off to on holiday?

Angel, I get what you mean I hate party planning but wedding planning wasn't too bad. I feel like this year is going quite fast so fingers crossed November will be here before we realise! Yeah, spend lots of quality time with your little girl and it should help the time pass quicker too :)

Croatia! :)

Yea the family crib is awesome. My and my brothers had it as a baby and my nephews and nieces too. Kinda special xx

P.s I'm always always looking at baby stuff online
I already have an idea of some of the stuff I want haha

Have you tried bullet journalling? Hop over to Pinterest and check it out. I'm organized AND I get to make lists!

No idea where to start on prep, but I'm pretty sure my MIL already has my entire children's lives planned out in her own lists. >_>

We have a plan to do before we ttc.
I have a list of things I have to sort out before hand so we sort of have gone through the list as we have only just decided that we will ttc which I'm so happy about as I have been broody for years.
My list consists of sorting doctors out as I have been naughty and kept my doctor I had back in Wales due to treatment I get for my fibro and it was decided when I first moved in with my OH that we would do that untill we decided to ttc. So once I have my next treatment I will be changing doctors and getting the ball rolling to continue treatment once we have our little one. The biggest thing on the list is to get healthier after a health scare the beginning of the year that's sorted now I need to get back to the gym and build my fitness levels back up. I'm roping then other half in with that and dragging him to yoga class.
We generally have to get me ready basically.

Me and man-thing made a joint savings account that we can easily transfer money from your normal account into that one on a phone app, so at the end of the month we put some of our leftover money before paydays into that account - so that's our version of saving really - with my almost-7-year old I relied on mostly second hand stuff or my parents so really didn't want to have to scrimp and save and worry this time! But yeah we're waiting til he's got a contracted job (one just now is zero-hours and variable....) and other stuff but it's nice to feel organised for a change!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->