• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Preparing formula- Is this correct?

sweetcheeks85

Reaction score
Hi ladies

Due LO on monday and just trying to get my head into gear about making bottles. I know the reccomendations is to make each feed fresh. The two ways I think would be easiest for us

1) Flask method- Boil kettle, leave no longer than half an hour, fill flask, make feeds as required. Is this correct? Does anyone know how long water would stay at correct temp in flask?

2) Half and Half- Boil kettle fill bottles with half the amount of water needed for feed (ie 2oz for 4oz feed) Cool and put in fridge. When feed needed boil kettle fill bottle with 2oz add 4oz formula and then 2oz cool boiled water from fridge.

R both methods ok? Makes sense in my head but wanna check its correct lol x

Both methods are fine. As long as the formula is added to the hot water then it's ok.

When I was doing the first method I used to put the water in straight off the boil. How long it keeps is down to your flask and how often you open it but I found that a thermos tends to give a good 12hrs of ok temperature water (starting off with extra hot though). I also kept a jug of cold water in the fridge to sit the bottle in to cool whilst I changed baby's bum.

When doing the second I just put a random amount in one sterile container in the fridge, add power to hot water and measure out cold into another container so the water quantity is right (I've got some Tommee tippee breast milk pots, great for measuring out 2-3oz in one go or storing powder in when baby isn't having large bottles).

Thanx never thought of using the milk pots for measuring cooled water x

You can make feeds iobin advance if you cool them immediatly and store in the back of the fridge they are fine for 24hrs, when youve got screaming baby or are half asleep counting out scoops can be tricky, Iverson always made up feeds in advance and never found a problem with it, x

Thanx going to see how i get on with above methods first as would rather make them fresh x

I do method one, the hot water keeps hot for about 12 hours so I make a thermos up in the morning and use that all day and then at night I make up two bottles and rapid cool them for the fridge so all I need to do in the night is heat them up quickly.

This is what we do too :flower:

I do method one, the hot water keeps hot for about 12 hours so I make a thermos up in the morning and use that all day and then at night I make up two bottles and rapid cool them for the fridge so all I need to do in the night is heat them up quickly.

The flask does it fit in your steriliser then? Also the formula isnt sterile amd needs to be put into water above 70c to kill any bacteria, surely making up half cold and adding half boiking isnt going to make the water above 70c as it woukd then be too hot for baby?,

i assumed you did not need to steralise your flask as it only has hot water in it, but i could be wrong

i assumed you did not need to steralise your flask as it only has hot water in it, but i could be wrong

I agree. Just wash it with hot soapy water daily and use it only for hot boiled water for baby's feeds. xxx

I still do the flask method. I use a thermos flask and it stays hot all day, at LEAST 8 hours - they're brill.

I thought anything that comes into contact with the water/powder had to be sterilised, because the water has been in an un sterile container surely the water is no longer sterile, im only asking as ive never e heard of using a thermus flask,

From what ive read online by washing the flask in hot soapy water and rinsing with boiling water before filling u are killing any bacteria present in the flask. It also keeps water above 70° for upto 8 hours. This is the temp needed to kill bacteria in formula powder so allows u to make up feeds when out and about and no access to a kettle etc. Hope this makes sense x

We have always made ours in advance. With both my girls. No fun trying to make a bottle at 3am with a baby screaming the house down lol We made feeds, rapid cooled them and stored them in the back of the fridge for a max of 12 hours (you can leave them for 24 but I felt comfortable with 12)

When you put the water in the flask do you let it cool for 30 minutes beforehand or just put it in straight after the kettle has boiled?

I use a flask when out with him otherwise I pre make mine. The first few weeks we used cartons then when we moved onto powder started pre making and cartons when out. Can't use cartons now as he has nutramigen, says on the can you can pre make and store in the fridge.

I sterile bottles boil kettle fill all bottles to required amount an leave them at room temp then I add powder as reqd you can heat them if you wish but I do room temp, I use a milk segregater to measure milk before bed so I literally poor in powder shake an go, I have done this since birth an hv advised this is better than putting them ready made in the fridge. I no alot of people don't like room temp but if they'll take it why complicate, plus it works for us, I'm the summer I will prob put them in the fridge but will add powder as I go x

When you put the water in the flask do you let it cool for 30 minutes beforehand or just put it in straight after the kettle has boiled?

I put it in straight, just making sure the water isn't bubbling still.

I sterile bottles boil kettle fill all bottles to required amount an leave them at room temp then I add powder as reqd you can heat them if you wish but I do room temp, I use a milk segregater to measure milk before bed so I literally poor in powder shake an go, I have done this since birth an hv advised this is better than putting them ready made in the fridge. I no alot of people don't like room temp but if they'll take it why complicate, plus it works for us, I'm the summer I will prob put them in the fridge but will add powder as I go x

I did this with my first Dd although I heated it as she wouldnt take it unless warm but my hv told me it wasnt advised as the powder needs to go into hot water as the powder isnt sterile, so I started pre making a d storing in the fridge x

Really? My hv advised us to do it this way! It's a nightmare never no who to listen to!! Well it works for us an touch wood sges fine x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->