Preparing to BF baby #2...tips?

pregoinnorge

Reaction score
Hey girls, I have a question. I'm determined to make sure I have enough milk this time for baby #2.

With DD I breastfeeding was definitely a challenge. She was super into using me as a pacifier but didn't really eat that much. We tried all sorts of things but she just had a small appetite (and still does at 2 years). She was always on the bottom of the growth curves despite "nursing" most of the day and night.

I didn't try pumping at all until she was around 10 weeks old and then she hardly drank anything from a bottle. I cut out all dairy and sensitive foods and tried all the herbs and even used domperidome for awhile which seemed to make a difference while pumping, but I hated pumping so much. She never let me put her down and she always wanted to comfort nurse so I could never figure out a pumping schedule!

At 15 weeks I broke down and tried formula and while she barely drank that either, we ended up combination feeding until 1 year when she quit nursing.

We don't really know what the problem was-if I had low supply or she had tongue tie or allergies or what- but I was never able to pump more than 2oz from each side at a time.

The main thing is that this time I want to make sure that the supply isn't the problem. Is there anything I can do to prepare? I REALLY want to be successful this time!

Thanks girls!

All i would say is look after your self. There is nothing you can do in advance but once your baby is here they build up supply by cluster feeding. Even those frustrating hours when they are suckling but not feeding they are building supply up. It really is about having the baby constantly on the boob whenever they want which is more often than not in the first few weeks. Drink LOADS eats plenty, oats are good for supply and energy. Maybe try getting a sling this time that you can discreetly feed in and then you will be able to do allsorts whilst feeding and will hopefully feel less tethered. You can pump as well if you want to but it is best to wait until your supply regulates to avoid oversupply as this is just as frustrating as underssupply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->