Prepping while we wait...

gradschoolmum

Reaction score
DH and I are going to start trying January 2017, and I could not be more excited!!! God willing we get pregnant, this will be our first.
Is there anything (for those who have had a baby) that you would advise for first timers to do before baby? (I'm not just talking nursery and baby items, but financials, health, insurance, etc). Or if you are a first timer like me, what are you doing in the meantime?

One thing I'm particularly interested in is insurance. My husband is starting a new job next month. Because he was found by a recruiter, we will first be under the recruiter's insurance for about 3 months then will change over to the company's insurance. Now, there's a great possibility that we will not be pregnant by then, but if we are, will there be any potential concerns? Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Hi gradschoolmum!! DH and I are also WTT for #1, not exactly sure when yet. I'm also interested in advice about insurance as my husband and I are in a very similar situation, so that's a great question. However, in the mean time we both have just been working on our degree, building up our savings and credit scores, and just enjoying free time between now and WTT. Best of luck to you and your OH and lots and lots of baby dust to you (wiggling my fingers lol). Hope you get your BFP!!!

I would say the most important thing you can do is relax, have fun and make the most of your time together as a couple. That's really the best preparation for what being parents brings. All the little details will fall into place when the time comes, but your relationship changes a lot when you have a baby, so enjoy the time you have together now and do all the things you don't think you'd easily do when you have a baby (or even when you're pregnant). Obviously, if one of you smokes or uses drugs, I'd quit that now too. But mostly, it's about just enjoying this chapter in life before it comes to a close and making the most of it.

As for your insurance, I don't know how things have changed, but when I had health insurance in the U.S. before we moved here, you often had to be on your insurance for a period of time before you could have pregnancy care covered, so you couldn't get pregnant before the end of a probationary period, or else none of your pregnancy/birth/well baby care would be paid for. That may have now changed, but I would research the specific details of the final insurance you'll end up on for your pregnancy and make sure you aren't disqualifying yourself from coverage.

Can't help with the insurance bit sorry as I'm UK (in fact, I didn't have a clue what you were talking about with "insurance" until I read PP's post!) but generally agree with other PP. Enjoy your time as a couple. When it was just me and hubby, I remember that we would do things and I would think "this scene would be so much better with a little one with us". Now sometimes we do things and I think "God this scene would be easier if it were just us two" haha :D
And of course, if you're super excited...lean in close now because I am going to whisper this........buy some baby things :D
Just buy a couple of small unisex baby things! White little socks, a little cream bunny, something like that. Admire it, put it away, sneak peeks whenever. When the time comes God willing for your baby to wear or have it, you'll think back to waaaay before s/he was even conceived when your baby was just a dream, and there s/he is with his/her little white socks and bunny :)

Talia12- Thanks so much! I really like that idea; I just might have to do that :happydance:

Talia12- That is a good idea. I may be doing that myself!

Yeah, Talia, great idea!!! I think I'll do that to! :) Now... What to buy?! :D

Personally I'd wait for your company insurance to start. To make sure things run slowly and to cover yourself if for whatever reason the job doesn't work out. Plus it'll be a lot less flap!! 3 months will pass fast:flower:

In meantime, try to find fun ways to pass the time. Make sure to start your prenatals. I always did a couple months or so of monitoring my cycle. Cheap OPK tests from Amazon to get a rough idea of ovulation time. I'm an over planner though :haha:

Pregnancy books like what to expect when you're expecting are good, same as going through this forum xx

Update on insurance:
DH was able to find out more about the insurance policy, and we will be able to smoothly transition without a problem. Also, by the time we are on the plan, it will be highly unlikely that I will already be pregnant, and if I am, it would be maybe around the time that we are taking hpts to find out. We are still going to wait it out and see if anything happens that would prevent us from being covered right away, but timing looks great at this point. Making me happy that we didn't try before now.

You aren't saying, but I'm assuming due to the interest in insurance that you are in the US. Make certain that your insurance covers maternity. Also know your deductibles.

Second, health stuff. Start taking a prenatal vitamin with folic acid now. The recommendation is to start a bit before getting pregnant. Start working out. You won't necessarily have a lot of energy to work out through the first tri. (I know I didn't.) But it's good to work on the habit now. If you don't work out at all now, the best primary exercise to do is walking. After that you can keep flexible with stretching or yoga, and focus on building core strength, particularly in the pelvic area. I've read some people go for kegels and others go for squats to build this kind of strength.

Third, do a budget. In order to do said budget, you will probably need to ask yourself questions like:
Are you going to work? If you do, what are your child care plans going to be, and can you afford the surprisingly ludicrous price of child care? If not, can you live with just your husband's income? If you work now, what does your company offer in terms of maternity benefits? This might be in a starting package or available from your HR department but odds are it may be awkward to ask. An alternative is to ask a coworker who has been pregnant and returned from leave.

Do you have a room for baby? (You will need one eventually even if baby sleeps in a crib in your room to start) How much will furniture and etc cost? Will you have a baby shower? (this can reduce the cost of starter supplies and give your friends a chance to congratulate you, etc etc..)

Hey!

I just stumbled upon this and although I am not US based so the insurance thing doesn't matter to me- it was fun to read some of the things to do to prepare!

We have just decided to start trying in March 2017 and I want to focus on preparing to conceive to try to distract me from the wait!

I loved the idea of buying something- so I am going to do that! I have started taking prenatals and will begin an exercise regime tomorrow to try and get in better shape. Although I do not need to lose weight thought I would invest in some home stuff and running/walking so I can do that post baby too all going well

But any other ideas?!

Loving this thread, although insurance isn't necessary for us as we are in the UK.

Love the idea of buying something, but I know how excitable I can get!

I'm just doing the normal bits at the moment, excercising more, trying to relax and making little changes to my diet oh and pre-natal vitamins :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->