Preschool plus age SN kids

Midnight_Fairy

New baby J
Reaction score
I got a code of practice book today and Equality act. Its well worth having as I found out so much I didnt actually know was the law! :flower:

I think we might've been given a copy or that (or something similar) when Tegan started preschool. We've got her review for her new statement next week and I am crapping bricks. She goes from 3 hours a day to full time. I'm so scared they're going to expect her to be left alone at lunch time and breaks.

Oh hun, hope it goes ok.

I have started a parents group at my sons school which now means I never have a meeting with a professional alone and another parent will sit and take minutes x

I think we might've been given a copy or that (or something similar) when Tegan started preschool. We've got her review for her new statement next week and I am crapping bricks. She goes from 3 hours a day to full time. I'm so scared they're going to expect her to be left alone at lunch time and breaks.

They wont leave her alone at lunch or breaks as she needs help going to the toilet (if my memory serves me right?), that would be a violation of her human rights. Evan gets full time 1:1 and this includes lunch and breaks. If they do not offer it, I would fight it, she needs it. Hope it all goes well for Tegan's statement review.

She needs help with everything Danielle, she's paraplegic. She can't get out of her wheelchair herself as she can't stand. She also requires supervision at all times because of her hydro & her shunt. If she knocks her head (ie if she fell out of her chair or banged her head on the wall) in the wrong place it would kill her.
It's just so scary. I was nervous before she started part time (she has 2.5 hours or of every 3 hour session with her TA now) but in September she will need catheterising 3 hourly etc.

I got a code of practice book today and Equality act. Its well worth having as I found out so much I didnt actually know was the law! :flower:

Can you tell us exact titles and/or ISBN reference numbers, to help us google & see if we can find these?

Our littl'un will hopefully start PreSchool in September, if they can find him a placement.

She needs help with everything Danielle, she's paraplegic. She can't get out of her wheelchair herself as she can't stand. She also requires supervision at all times because of her hydro & her shunt. If she knocks her head (ie if she fell out of her chair or banged her head on the wall) in the wrong place it would kill her.
It's just so scary. I was nervous before she started part time (she has 2.5 hours or of every 3 hour session with her TA now) but in September she will need catheterising 3 hourly etc.

Why does she not get the whole 3 hours with a TA? She should definatley have full time TA. Evan is the same he is paraplegic too, but he does not have the added extra of the hydro and the shunt so you will have a pretty strong case for full TA. The one thing I have learnt through being a parent of a SN kid is the fact that you need to fight for everything, and god sometimes it can be so exhausting!! xx

I've no idea why she didn't get the full 3 hours. We only send her for 2.5 hours a day because I'm not comfortable with her being unsupervised. I hate having to fight for stuff but I will and school are well aware that of she doesn't have a TA, she won't be at school. I'll only ever send her for her alloted number of TA hours.
It's a pain in the arse!

Thanks M_F, my copy of the Special Educational Needs Code of Practice arrived today. Heavy reading, but I'm sure it's going to come in useful over the next few months :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->