Preston for a girl's name?

Gradgirl

Reaction score
So I posted a thread on another forum about possible names for my baby if it were a girl. Several people were strongly against it while others loved it. My husband and I disagree strongly on girl names mostly bc he prefers classic names while I prefer unique names. My grandfather's name was Preston and I believe that is a beautiful name for a girl (Preston Ann Barksdale). I catch a lot of heat for this name since so many view it as strictly masculine. My mother named me Dosha and although it is unique, I never liked it, so I go by Nicole. I don't want to do the same to my child! Tell me your opinions on the name Preston for a girl?

I do not think your child will be adverse to the name Preston. I love unique-boyish names for girls. Especially when they are super girly and they have this name that gives them at little edge. I love the name Reagen for girl and it initially seems masculine to me. PLUS with Ann as a middle name it makes is definitely feminine.

I've never heard it as a girl's name, but I LOVE boy's names for girls!!
(Brett, Aiden, Morgan, Keigan, etc)

So I posted a thread on another forum about possible names for my baby if it were a girl. Several people were strongly against it while others loved it. My husband and I disagree strongly on girl names mostly bc he prefers classic names while I prefer unique names. My grandfather's name was Preston and I believe that is a beautiful name for a girl (Preston Ann Barksdale). I catch a lot of heat for this name since so many view it as strictly masculine. My mother named me Dosha and although it is unique, I never liked it, so I go by Nicole. I don't want to do the same to my child! Tell me your opinions on the name Preston for a girl?

no matter what name you chose your child may hate it, my mam hates her name because its to masculine so she think they wanted a boy, my dad hates his name because its too short and boring, my step dad hates his name because he cant spell it etc... there is a million reasons your child 'might' hate a name

Preston could shorten to:

Pre (like Bree of Ste)
Prissy
Esta

or she could go be Ann or Annie

or maybe even mix them to make something unique like Preanne

I always try to pick names with lots of nickname options so the child has choices

Sorry but no. Some names are unisex but this one is outright masculine. I wouldn't do it personally.

Sorry but no. Some names are unisex but this one is outright masculine. I wouldn't do it personally.

so your OPINION is you think its masculine... doesn't change the FACT that it is unisex :thumbup:

You know, when I first read it, I thought "Eeehh, I don't think so..." but the more I look at it, the more I like it! It makes me think of Presley, too, which I also think is cute. :thumbup:

We have decided on....

Hattie or Ramini for a girl. Difficult to find unusual names that's aren't ridiculous!! What do people think? X

I have a cousin named Hattie Elaine! She is the only person I have ever met named Hattie, so I think as far as uncommon goes, that's a good one!

Ramini is cute, but it also sounds like a nationality, if you know what I mean?

I think Preston is very masculine . I like Hattie alot though

so your OPINION is you think its masculine... doesn't change the FACT that it is unisex :thumbup:

I know there's been a bit of tension on here just lately but I'm one of the friendly ones and this was a bit much! :dohh:

I know there's been a bit of tension on here just lately but I'm one of the friendly ones and this was a bit much! :dohh:

not at all, you said it not unisex it is outright masculine which it isn't

if your opinion is you think of it as masculine then that's fine and your allowed to think that but the name is still unisex despite that opinion

It's obviously just my opinion. That doesn't have to be stated every single time someone comments on a name. We're mature enough to know that. Opinions are what are being asked for here.

Let's keep it cool and not get all CAPS-y

I will admit, at first I wasn't sure but looking and thinking about it Preston Ann is a beautiful name for a girl. Even if she goes by a nickname later, I think of it along the same lines as Hayden, Casey etc. It is not embarrassing or anything. I have always liked unique/different names! I say go for it!

I don't think names should have genders, except when they have something gender specific in their meanings, for example I hate it when people name their girls MacKenzie, it literally means son of Coinneach :dohh: Other than those kind of situations, I don't think a name should be used for only one gender. Preston doesn't have any gender specific meaning so I think it's really cool.

Not a fan. Never heard of Preston as a girls' name. Don't know where the OP lives, but here in the states, Preston was ranked #129 as a boys' name in 2012, and has never made it into the top 1000 as a girls' name.

That said, I do see it listed as a unisex name on some baby names Web sites, so someone must be doing it somewhere. And names don't migrate from one sex to the other unless someone starts taking the plunge. So it's a :shrug: for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->