Preston for a girl's name?

It's interesting hearing your opinions! I find it interesting that some of you said you hated it until it began to sink in then your minds changed.... My family actually likes it and if they didn't approve they would defiantly voice their opinion! I've known girls called bob, Ryan, Charlie, jordon, devin, Austin and I personally don't believe having a masculine or famine name matters as long as its a good strong name!

It's interesting hearing your opinions! I find it interesting that some of you said you hated it until it began to sink in then your minds changed.... My family actually likes it and if they didn't approve they would defiantly voice their opinion! I've known girls called bob, Ryan, Charlie, jordon, devin, Austin and I personally don't believe having a masculine or famine name matters as long as its a good strong name!
I'm glad that you have such a positive attitude about hearing different opinions.

It sounds like little "Preston" (or whatever you decide on) will have a great mom. :thumbup:

In the end it is up to you!! If you love it go for it :) However I am just not fond of it. I have also never heard of a girl in the states named Preston, but I sure there is somewhere. Good luck!

I originally wasnt a fan as many previous posters have stated but now I kind of really dig it! Also, I really shouldnt be saying anything negative about giving a traditionally male name to a daughter because I did the same! I think I also have more of a problem giving traditionally female names to boys than the other way around.

In short, I love it!

I wouldn't use Preston on either sex but certainly not a girl.

In MY opinion ;) I see it as a masculine boy name and I usually like unisex names for girls but this one just seems a step too far. could you use it as a middle name? I love the name just not for a girl

Sorry but no. Some names are unisex but this one is outright masculine. I wouldn't do it personally.

so your OPINION is you think its masculine... doesn't change the FACT that it is unisex :thumbup:

You are very quick to jump on people who have an opinion that is different. Varenne acknowledged that she wouldn't do it personally.

I don't think you really need other peoples opinions. I mean you seem set on naming your little lady Preston. Go for it. I guess as long as hubby caves :)

Sorry but no. Some names are unisex but this one is outright masculine. I wouldn't do it personally.

so your OPINION is you think its masculine... doesn't change the FACT that it is unisex :thumbup:

You are very quick to jump on people who have an opinion that is different. Varenne acknowledged that she wouldn't do it personally.

if you read the opinion doesn't bother me at all, it was the way it was stated as a fact

if you read the opinion doesn't bother me at all, it was the way it was stated as a fact

I did read it.....thanks.....

I have no idea why your trying to pick a fight with me but Im not in the mood to bite

I have no idea why your trying to pick a fight with me but Im not in the mood to bite

there is no fight picking.

Personally, I don't agree with this statement. "Masculine," "feminine," and "unisex" are all highly subjective categories with few "facts" involved.

For example, I was speaking to a senior adult in a retirement home a month or two ago about my daughter, and mentioned her name was "Harley," which caused the resident to think she was a boy. When I corrected her, she glared at me and said, "Why do you young people give your daughters boys' names? That is so STUPID!"

I just smiled at her and explained to her that "Harley" has been more common as a girls' name than a boys' name in the United States since 1993, and that these things change over time. I pointed out that names like "Evelyn" and "Ivy," which were predominantly feminine even by her time, were predominantly masculine in the 1700s and 1800s. Now few people would dream of naming a boy "Evelyn" or "Ivy" (though you may find the occasional hold-out).

So when does a name become unisex as opposed to a masculine or feminine name that has been gender-bended? Jessica Simpson named her daughter "Maxwell"---is that a unisex name now? If I name a boy "Guinevere," does that become a unisex name? You could say "no, that's just giving a boy/girl name to the opposite sex!" But the reality is that most of our unisex names got to be unisex because someone somewhere gave a baby a gender-bended name, and it caught on. And some people will never see those names as "unisex" no matter how many people are doing it. They'll just shake their heads and wonder what the hell is wrong with the current generation.

Here in the states, I like to use the Social Security database because it's a fast and easy way to get a rough estimate of baby name popularity. When a name is very common for one sex and not even on the map for the other, I hardly think of it as a "unisex" name, even if a few people are doing it. But this is just one country and I know trends may be different elsewhere.

Regardless, the OP sounds like she has a good head about all of this and I wish her all the best.

I appreciate it! My mother named me Dosha after my 4th great grandmother and I never liked it! I ended up changing my name in the third grade to Nicole and by the time I was in high school everyone called me Nickel!! I have never met another person on this earth named Dosha, but I found out a few years ago that Dosha is actually a term used for the elements of the earth (Air, Space, Fire, Earth, and Water). Which I believe is very interesting! I have a strong name and although I never liked it, I survived and although I wanted to be called Nicole society chose Nickel. Your name is everything and when someone in my small town is talking about Dosha or Nickel people know me because my name stands out! I believe Preston Ann would stand out as a name in a crowd of other children. People will remember the name as either a bad name choice or an interesting one, but at least her name will be remembered!

I appreciate it! My mother named me Dosha after my 4th great grandmother and I never liked it! I ended up changing my name in the third grade to Nicole and by the time I was in high school everyone called me Nickel!! I have never met another person on this earth named Dosha, but I found out a few years ago that Dosha is actually a term used for the elements of the earth (Air, Space, Fire, Earth, and Water). Which I believe is very interesting! I have a strong name and although I never liked it, I survived and although I wanted to be called Nicole society chose Nickel.
Dosha is pretty strange! Can't blame you for switching to Nicole, even if that did get nicknamed to "Nickel."

Gradgirl said:
Your name is everything and when someone in my small town is talking about Dosha or Nickel people know me because my name stands out! I believe Preston Ann would stand out as a name in a crowd of other children. People will remember the name as either a bad name choice or an interesting one, but at least her name will be remembered!
Definitely true. I was born in '82 and almost became a "Jennifer" (which was the #1 girls' name in the states from 1970 till 1984!). So glad I dodged that bullet. I was sometimes in classes in elementary school that had 4 Jennifers in them, and I would have been the fifth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->