Problem! Does this happen to anyone else??

x-li-x

Me & Hubby + 3 :)
Reaction score
Hiya

I just brought down the nappy bin to wash a load, and as i emptied it i noticed half the inserts and bits of the nappys had gone a horrid browny/purply colour, the ones that had been peed in, the dirty ones were normal, maybe because they had been rinsed n wrung under the shower i dont know. i also noticed the older ones were darker in colour even though the nappy bin is only a 2 day load, yesterdays and todays.
Has this ever happened to anyone? Why does it happen? Im scared now all my nappies are ruined as they looked disgusting and i cant understand as its never happened before and i havent done anything different.

Can anyone help?

Thank you x

Is it that mildew stuff? You might need to bleach that off if it doesn't come out in the wash. I use microfibre cloths instead of kitchen rolls and some went like that in their bucket. I've cold washed them, normal washed them, boil washed them, used Vanish bar, soaked them in Napisan... and still the black marks are there :(

I'm not sure why it happens, I think probably when they've been left for too long but 2 days doesn't sound like too long to me. Sorry I can't be any more help.

Hmm, what were the ones which had gone discoloured made of? And was it all of them? I mean, were they bamboo, or hemp etc...?

Has your LO started teething at all? I know that my daughter's pee seems to be absolutely toxic at the moment, although it hasn't had the effect you mentioned.

Hopefully someone else will be able to help! Fingers crossed that it all comes out in the wash! :hugs:

Its like a horrible dArk brown colour its on the issy, mini lala and blurberry inserts some is on the nappies to and theyve only been left there since yesterdqy mornog so it doesnt make sense, im goig to be really upset if it doesnt come out cud that means some mini lalas (old style) and issys are ruined!! And none of them are preloved or worn much!! I think i may cry!
She to me seems like shes teething but no sign of teeth yet.
I havent done anything different than normal!

Pleasr pray it come out.

Well it didn come out and now im exrltremely annoyed and considering just selling all our nappies, i dont know what caused it, they were definatley not leftnin there no lonfer than yesterday morning, nothing was put in with them and they werent any wetter than normal, our rasberry truffle bb is completly ruined, 2 mini lala inserts completely ruined and a bit of an issy plus its insert ruined!

I dont know how to prevent it from happening again when o dont know why its happened so im a little disheartened as its just cost me money n of it happens again will just cost me more!!

Right now i want to cry i am so annoyed, ive put them in again but honestly cant see them getting better because the look the same before they went in :-(

I've had this happen on the inserts of night nappies but it hasn't affected the covers or wraps, nor has it affected the performance of the nappies.

Teething is a bugger for upping the ammonia in their wee, i've been washing more frequently than normal to try and combat it, and the affects on the nappies. Though I find cloth is much better for helping teething nappy rash heal and breathe. We tried a few sposie in the hope of it clearing up quickly and it made it worse!!

maybe if you could post a pic of the extent of the discolouration.

Can I just recommend Dr Beckmann's "Stain Devil" for mildew stains? Not sure if that's what it is, x-li-x, but thought Rachel might be interested. It's the one for red wine etc. I've taken mildew stains out of mattress covers, buggy fabrics (including straps + footmuffs), and various other things.

Not sure how it'd be with natural fabrics, but I reckon it'd be fine on man-made. It does rinse out very easily, which is fab as it isn't something you'd want next to LO's skin :blush:

It's dead cheap as well, one little bottle lasts AGES.

oh no u must be so upset i know i would be

Do you wash out the nappy bucket properly between uses? I don't always (naughty) but just thought maybe if you didn't, some mildew or nasty stuff could have had extra time to grow in the bucket and then spread easily to the nappies.

I honestly don't know what's caused it, but maybe wet pailing would be an option? I wouldn't wet pail everything cos it's not good for PUL or elastic, but you could get a second bucket and wet pail the inserts (they're the bit that gets wettest anyway) with some Napisan or something similar. That might prevent it happening again.

If you're going to throw away the ones that are badly marked, you may as well try some harsh stain removers - there's nothing to lose :hugs:

If you're going to throw away the ones that are badly marked, you may as well try some harsh stain removers - there's nothing to lose :hugs:

This is a good point.

If you do decide to try something, then really, Stain Devils is amazing. I put on protective gloves, get whatever is stained nice and damp, then add the granules. I generally have enough water to make a kind of paste, and make sure every stain is covered. The bottle will say it should work in 3 mins, and only need longer for "tough" stains - trust me, mildew qualifies as a tough one! I've always had to leave things overnight if I want the stains gone.

Fingers crossed it works for you :hugs: I really should've taken before/after piccies of a buggy that I de-stained, I had a proper jaw-dropping moment when I saw it in the morning! (This was after trying lemon juice, bicarbonate of soda, vinegar, etc etc).

I've just had this too, for the first time. Luckily it's just on a few of my inserts, and is pale, but it looks like a washed out red wine stain! I'm going to sun mine next time the sun comes out and hope it works! My LO is weaning and teething, so guess that's why. X

I had this happen to the inserts on my wnnn a really bad purple/brown stain, from what I've been able to find out, it seems like they might be panadol stains. Did you give your little one any baby panadol/calpol recently? theres something in that which comes through the wee and stains horribly. :( Mine over time have faded, but they're still there. I figure its the inserts not the pretty part of the nappy, and it doesn't affect the absorbancy so its not the end of the world.

Yeah shes had calpol over the last week as weve all been ill so maybe its that. Im washing the inserts again this morning with a load of detergent and the nappies that are stained ive rubbed with a vanish bar and stuck in the window , im really gutted i know the nserts dont matter but its the whole insert and it looks so awful! And its on the nappies to inside and out. Its like a couple went bad and then it just spread on other nappies while inthe nappy bin! I would still be annoyed even of t was just the inserts but the fact its on my bb and a issy day aswell im extra annoyed! Now im scared to put oher nappies in the bin because i cant afford for this to keep happening but cant wash them as each comes off either!
For today im just goingto keep washing em over and over then obviously rinse em over and over. Hopefully it will go. X

Can I just recommend Dr Beckmann's "Stain Devil" for mildew stains? Not sure if that's what it is, x-li-x, but thought Rachel might be interested. It's the one for red wine etc. I've taken mildew stains out of mattress covers, buggy fabrics (including straps + footmuffs), and various other things.

Not sure how it'd be with natural fabrics, but I reckon it'd be fine on man-made. It does rinse out very easily, which is fab as it isn't something you'd want next to LO's skin :blush:

It's dead cheap as well, one little bottle lasts AGES.

ooh thanks i have a couple of nates shirts that got mildew stains on them and i need to get out as they are expensive shirts too

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->