Problems at high school.

kerrie24

me,him and 3 lo's
Reaction score
My son 11,started high school in september and from the start,we have both found it a challenge.The school seems to have no other discipline apart from detension,which they give at the drop of a hat.Class detensions are their favourite.My son gets a class detension at least 3 times a week.This is for 2 people talking,someone bouncing a ball when the pe teacher is talking,etc.They always punish the full class.I mentioned it at his review day a few weeks ago and was told the teachers are just getting tough to try and weedle out who is going to cause problems.A couple of times Nathan has gone for the detension and been let out as he wasnt to blame so I left it.Today however,he came out in a foul mood.The pe teacher he has on thursdays expects silence,in pe?! As someone spoke,he took them all to sit inside for 90 minutes and 'do nothing'.He is worried that on monday they are going to get an hours detension.The other pe teacher he gets on mon and wed never complains or holds them back,compliments Nathan on his running and football skills and he loves it.I am not saying hes an angel,no kid is,but throughout primary he was never in trouble,his high school teachers sing his praises constantly,hes in the gifted individuals group,etc.He doesnt deserve to be worrying all week about how much time he will spend in detension!

So just so I'm clear- he's 11yrs old and already in High School? So he's in school with much older kids then... or is high school in your area something else? I guess it doesn't really matter- as personally, I would be speaking to the principal about how they dicipline. I get life isn't fair, and kids get in trouble, and sometimes a teacher can't know exactly who was acting up (if it was a group of kids etc...)-- BUT- they shouldn't be allowed to punish the entire class because someone talked or bounced a ball or did something that silly!!! That is so beyond ridiculous! I would be complaining for sure! Are there other parents you can talk to- maybe if you all complain some change can occur. I would also try to find out what the rules and regulations are for that school- what is documented- even ask for it.

Sorry no other great advise- that type of thing NEVER happens at my daughters high school- if a kid acts up, then THEY get in trouble and it's punishment to fit the crime- not 90mins of quiet time because they spoke! They would have to do a LOT more than that to even get in trouble... Best of luck hun!

Here they either do primary-middle-high or primary -high depending on the area.So he is in with people doing sixth form/yr 12-13 (or 18yr olds).

He came straight out today soI am going to wait and see if anything else happens otherwise I will wait till his next review as it is hard to get an appointment with the right person.

High school in the uk is not the same age as in the usa. Its also known as secondary school and is usually age 11 to age 16. Some go up to 18 but not all

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->