Problems with nursery need help.

lauzliddle

Alfie and mollys mummy
Reaction score
Every time I take Alfie to nursery he screams that he dosnt want to go. The nursery wants every child to spend hours outside in all weathers. The moment we walk in the doors they are made to get waterproofs on and go outside for 3 hours until lunch then back out after lunch.

The problem is Alfie says he dosnt want to go outside as his jumper still gets wet and sandy and he says its horrible being wet all day. He has no problems playing outside at home with the tap in the back garden and with dirt and sand so I don't know what to do?
Is this normal for a nursery?

Should I change him schools?

I am so confused and it starting to get me down

TIA Laura

I think its pretty standard practice, though they should be allowed to play indoors as well, some kids dont like being wet and dirty!

I would book an appointment to speak with them, they probably dont realise he doesnt like it :flower:

It's great that they are encouraging outdoor play, but it sounds like how they deal with it isn't working for your son. If he's getting wet then either the nursery needs better waterproofs or they need to change him into a dry set of clothes when they come back inside. Are they using all-in-one or two part (dungarees/trousers and coat) waterproofs? He's quite right, it's horrible being stuck in wet clothes all day! I would bring it up with the nursery, as it's a health and safety problem.

What kind of nursery is this? Private? Pre school?

I would be looking into complaint as there is no way in the world the little ones should be outside all of the time, regardless of weather

There should be a balance, outside exploration is only a part of what should be covered on the curriculum and if they are outside for 3 hours and then again after lunch they must be seriously lacking in all other areas of development

I would be looking into complaint as there is no way in the world the little ones should be outside all of the time, regardless of weather

There should be a balance, outside exploration is only a part of what should be covered on the curriculum and if they are outside for 3 hours and then again after lunch they must be seriously lacking in all other areas of development

That's not really true. Outdoor-only nurseries and preschools are becoming more and more common as research continues to show the benefits. I can't think of anything in the EYFS that couldn't be covered outdoors! Obviously it's got to be done right, but being outdoors for that amount of time isn't a problem in itself.

That's not really true. Outdoor-only nurseries and preschools are becoming more and more common as research continues to show the benefits. I can't think of anything in the EYFS that couldn't be covered outdoors! Obviously it's got to be done right, but being outdoors for that amount of time isn't a problem in itself.

Fair enough. But I was making the assumption that this was not that kind of nursery since the OP was complaining about it

they should change him when they come in, thats a long time to be mad to be outside ?

He shouldn't be outside in all weather conditions if he is cold and wet for extended periods of time. They should be monitoring the children closely enough to know if they are wet and therefore should be changed into dry clothing. If he's complaining he must be very uncomfortable. I would be seriously pissed off and if I were you I would speak to the manager asap.

I think outdoor play is very important but forcing a child who would rather be inside to play outside surely isn't conducive to a happy and healthy little person. Poor little man. :(

I would speak to the nursery and definitely change nurseries if they said that's the way it is.

My LO's nursery do have a couple of hours outside, more if it's warm but if it's raining they generally stay in and play.

They certainly don't keep them outside all the time and in this weather it's just enough for a bit of fresh air.

I understand some may say there's nothing in the curriculum that they can't do outside, but that doesn't mean it's for the best. Sometimes it's better to be warm, dry and comfortable.

My preschool gives them the option of being outside if they want to be, at any time. However it's only when it's dry (cold days they still go out but they are wrapped up warm). If my lo gets wet during the course of her time at playschool then the playschool will change her into her spare clothes that i always send along with her.

Fair enough an hour or two each day outside but hours and hours in the cold and rain? I personally couldn't think of anything worse! I used to hate it in primary school when we had to go Outsdie in the cold and for break time. Some people, like me, prefer to be in doors in the heat. I'd speak to them or look to another nursery x

My gosh, I'd be taking him out immediately! That is ridiculous, I live in Australia and that is not normal practise here.

There is a great deal of research that shows the benefits of outdoor play and in theory all areas of the curriculum can be accommodated outside. However the number one rule of the EYFS is that every child is unique. If they are providing waterproofs etc it sounds like they may be attempting a more forest school approach (google child are provision in Scandinavian countries and u will see this is a massively popular approach to early years learning which is becoming more popular over here because of the learning it inspires). If were not aware that this was going to central to their ethos and there is no provision for children to choose whether to be indoors or outdoors then maybe this is not the place for ur son. Most places balance between the two and put the child's interests first. If ur child's interests don't include the outdoors then more should be put in place so he can be indoors.

I work in a pre-school and know the EYFS - outdoor play is great for children whatever the weather without a doubt BUT children should lead - in our setting the children can come in and out as they please - they do not have to go outside at all or the can stay outside all morning if they wish but they shouldnt be made to do anything they are uncomfortable with, if they are not enjoying themselves - then what is the point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->