Progesterone in Early Pregnancy

annasky

Reaction score
Hi, everyone! Super new here -- I just got a positive test on Friday (11/25) and everything feels so surreal! I have loved reading through these boards and hearing all of your stories. I've seen a lot of people dealing with low progesterone, and I was hoping to get a few opinions from folks that have been through it.

I've been tracking my cycles for close to two years as a way to NOT get pregnant, so when my husband and I decided to start TTC in August, I reached out to my OBGYN concerned about a short luteal phase (I routinely ovulate on day 19/20 with a 28/29 day cycle). She sent me in for a progesterone test 8 days after I thought I ovulated (which was day 28 for me), and my results came back at 0.7. I was using BBT and OPKs to confirm ovulation, but she suggested I go in on day 21 to repeat the test during my next cycle just to see if I was ovulating earlier in my cycle than I thought I was. That was this current cycle, and my progesterone level was 4. She referred me to a Reproductive Endocrinologist since she said that was still too low for her liking, and I was all set to have an intake appointment with the RE and move forward with testing and figuring out what was up.

Well, low and behold... I got a positive test on day 30 of my cycle this month! I had completely given up this month thinking I hadn't even ovulated (Embarrassing story: the last time I tested was with a wondfo on day 26 (8dpo) and I was so frustrated by the whole thing I guess I didn't wait the full 5 minutes and threw the test in the trash just CERTAIN that it was negative. I fished it back out after I got my positive on day 30, and there was a faint line! Ooops). I called the RE's office to give her an update and ask if I should be worried about my progesterone levels. The fertility nurse that I spoke to suggested I take a progesterone test to see where my levels were at just to be on the safe side.

On Saturday (4 weeks, 2 days) my progesterone levels were at 13.7. I followed that up with an HCG test yesterday (4 weeks, 4 days) and my levels were 460. The RE wants to repeat the HCG test two more times to make sure my levels are increasing normally over the next week.

Here's my question: I asked the RE about my progesterone level, and she didn't think much about it. She said that generally, they don't even test for progesterone at her office once they get a positive test, as she's much more concerned with HCG levels. She said the research is pretty inconclusive about the success of progesterone supplements, and a lot of people are moving away from even testing for it in early pregnancy. She did offer to run another progesterone test tomorrow when I re-do my HCG just to make sure it hasn't dropped, and she offered to give me progesterone supplements if it's something I'm concerned about. Her attitude was kind of like, "well, it's not going to hurt, and if it's something that you're worried about, I'm happy to give them to you."

I think I'm going to wait and see what my test results are tomorrow, but I'd love to hear what you ladies think!! Would you take the supplements?

I didn't have progesterone levels checked with my first pregnancy, however I had both that and hcg checked Monday at 3w5d, hcg was 41.8 and progesterone was 28.9. From what I can find online, it looks like it should be between 10-29 in early pregnancy.

If it would give you peace of mind, it sounds like there's not a big risk in taking progesterone supplements. I was taking 200 mg. Prometrium when I became pregnant, for a short LP, and I've continued taking it. I'm hoping to wean off it in a few weeks. It makes me a little tired but I just take it at night and use it as a sleep aid. Other than that it's not a big deal. But if your doc isn't concerned, then it's one less supplement to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->