Progesterone shots?

xxenigmaxx

mom of 2 and expecting
Reaction score
My first baby was born at 34 weeks because my water broke. I was not in labor, and they ended up inducing me to limit risk of infection. My second baby was born at 41 weeks, and I was not on any medication, and I didn't do anything differently. This time, my doctor wants me to start getting progesterone shots, but I am confused because I didn't need them last time, and my baby was born full term. I had a different doctor last time, and she never seemed worried. I would gladly take them if I knew I needed them, but I have some doubts. Has anyone had them? Are there any side effects? Did they help you keep the pregnancy longer? Thanks for any advice. I am trying to figure things out fast because she wants me to start at 16 weeks, which is only 2 weeks away.

I don't know about the shots but my doc just put me on progesterone gel because I am a multiple miscarrier, she said it would help keep me pregnant. I haven't had any symptoms from it.

I am on the shots this pregnancy and previous. Honestly i wouldnt think your a candidate since after your early baby you went full term on your own. My first pregnancy i went into ptl at 27 weeks, delivered at 31. 2nd time around went on the shots and delivered at 40w5days. On the shotd again as i feel for me its worth it. Only reactions ive had is pain around site but nothing major. They can be pricey depending on your insurance. Mine wont cover it so i pay $130 for 10 shots, twice.

This is my second pregnancy and my doctor had me start the shots last Monday. I went into preterm labor with my daughter at 34 weeks, water broke at 36 and I had her then. She only needed one night in the special care nursery and is now perfectly healthy. When I got pregnant this time, my doctor offered me the shots as an option at 16 weeks but I declined since my daughter was fine. However I had bleeding from 9 to 13 weeks from a subchorionic hematoma and my 16 week alpha fetoprotein came back very high. I had an emergency ultrasound to see if my baby had spinabifida and luckily she looks healthy, but according to the perinatologist the high test results are putting me at a higher risk of preterm labor in this pregnancy, so my doctor strongly recommended starting the shots. I was a bit nervous for my first shot, but it wasn't at all painful (given in the upper hip) and I had minimal soreness at the injection site. I felt a bit tingly after the shot, and the day after the shot I was more moody and tired, but that is all so far. The way I saw it was, if my dr recommended it and I didn't get them and my baby was born early I couldn't live with myself for making that decision, I think its worth it to give the baby the best chance possible.

If I were in your shoes I would probably refuse them since you did carry to term the last time around.

I am on them now, and I was on them during my last pregnancy. My first was born at 28.6 weeks, but my second was born at 35 weeks (while on the progesterone injections) so they might have helped, or might not have. :shrug:

I've had NO side effects other than a sore area from the needle.

I have not had the shots, but I have had to take progesterone. The first pregnancy I just took a cream and that worked out fine. The second one I needed a lot more progesterone, so I had to take a suppository and still had a difficult time carrying the baby. This pregnancy I seem to be doing fine for some reason. My doctor always knew my levels and when to adjust my medication accordingly, though. Maybe ask if you can have a blood test done to check your levels. Also, maybe ask about other treatment options such as the cream and suppository. I don't think there is anything wrong with the shots, but it seems unnecessary if you could just put a cream on. Also, my doctor was always specific to make sure I didn't get too much or too little progesterone.

Thanks everyone. I saw my doctor today, and she is still really pushing the shots. I asked if she could check my blood to see if I even needed them, but she said each week the levels vary and what is "normal" for one person, might be different for another so she really can't check. I am still torn. She says, "studies show they are safe," but I am still nervous putting hormones (and other chemicals from the shot) in my body unless I know I really need it. I really feel like I don't need them right now, but I know I will feel horrible if I go into preterm labor. So much to think about.

I have read up a lot on the shots, and there only seems to be one other ingredient other than the progesterone, and that's the preservative.

I was more worried about how it would effect my baby (or my breastfeeding toddlers) but everything I've read and been told tells me they're safe. :shrug:

It's your decision though! :)

I have read up a lot on the shots, and there only seems to be one other ingredient other than the progesterone, and that's the preservative.

I was more worried about how it would effect my baby (or my breastfeeding toddlers) but everything I've read and been told tells me they're safe. :shrug:

It's your decision though! :)

Thanks, yes, I agree - I am not so worried what they will do to me, but to the baby, especially long term. I was reading a study where researchers compared 2-5 year olds who's mom took the shots, with the average 2-5 year old, and there was no difference in development. I still worry too much. I think the hormone in the shot is a synthetic hormone, and not the natural version which also has more side effects (for the mom at least, I don't know about for the baby). At least that is what I read, and who knows how reliable some of the stuff on the internet is :wacko: That is good to know you are on them, and are not having any problems either. The internet describes so many scary side effects that can occur, its good to know that for most women, they do fine on the shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->