Progesterone test

MinneGirl

Mommy to Weston!
Reaction score
Hi girls,

Wondering if any of you have any experience with this issue--I went to a FS last month and he did a few different tests--the clomid challenge, HSG, thyroid test. However, he didn't do a progesterone test at all. I developed two cysts after the clomid from overstimulating and have to sit this cycle out.

I did however ovulate over the weekend and called today to request a progesterone test. The nurse spoke to the doc and called me back and said there is no reason to check it--they don't check progesterone. ???

I thought that was a very basic test--and don't know why he won't do it. I'm not sure what to do next.

it's a little odd that they didnt' - my doctor (as a standard thing) always test progesterone, have you asked why they don't feel it's necessary???

I have my follow up consult tomorrow-I usually only get to talk to nurses. I am going to find out why and hope that he will test me. It seems so important to know that that hormone is normal. It can cause so many issues if it isn't high enough.

Thanks vicki :)

that is rather odd its one of the first basic tests that are done and id of thought should have been done several times way before clomid is even considered how does he know if your ovulating id definatly question your doctor good luck

I never had a progesterone test when on clomid, I have only just had one done to start my journey with IVF....

If you are ovulating then I would not think they would do a progesterone test... but it could be worth speaking to your consultant.

i ovulate regularly but they still tested, i would ask why they aren't..... it doesn't hurt to ask - good luck and let us know how it goes!!! xxx

I am currently going through the testing process with the FS, and the final test for the cycle is the progesterone test. They said that is routine when there is infertility issues. I would insist that they give me a progesterone test, or maybe seek a 2nd opinion.

Best of luck

i personally think some clinics hand out clomid far to readily in my experience anyway i have been trying to conceive for 8 yrs and first went to the fertility clinic in peterborough in 2003 i was given one lot of bloods a scan and then put on clomid and sent home, i moved to hampshire in sept 09 went to my new gp in march 10 and got my first nhs fs appointment in may 10 there i have been given monthly blood tests covering everything scans and a hsg test which uncovered what id expected all along scarred tubes and no chance of conceiving without ivf if this had been done in the first place i wouldnt of wasted all these years hoping id conceive naturally, dont be fobbed off and insist they check everything,
can you tell it makes me mad lol once again good luck

rafwife - we weren't given clomid, infact we're not being given any drugs unless we dont' fall with 3 rounds of IUI treatment. we're being given blood tests at every stage and having all the right things done.

i am just trying to encourage people to really push for the neccessary tests that some doctors wont do unless you keep on at them instead of leaving it all these years like i did in my case i was put on clomid for quite a long time with awful side affects and theres no way it could of worked

Hi girls,

I did see the FS this am. He said that progesterone is pretty inconclusive as it hops around so much throughout the day and month. He said 10 years ago they checked it at different point throughout the month, and don't anymore. He said that if you have a normal first half of your cycle, the progesterone takes care of itself. He said in the even that you have a progesterone deficiency, clomid or anyother fertility drug takes care of it.

Vicki, are you doing unmedicated IUI's? I am thinking of trying that.

yup i am, we're trying it for 3 cycles - then i'll have a scan and we'll go from there :D
i'm glad everything was explained to you :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->