Progesterone treatment for PTL/short cervix

klabro

Reaction score
Any ladies have experience with this. Short history, had my daughter at 37 weeks, no known issues, but I was only scanned at 20 weeks. Last year I had twins at 21 weeks, had a nice long cervix at 18 weeks, it was completely effaced by 20. They can't say if it was PTL, incompetent cervix or "just a twin thing". My question is has anybody had PTL or a short cervix and only had progesterone shots for a subsequent pregnancy and how did it work out for you? They won't do a preventative stitch for me. They will only treat if my cervix starts to shorten. I'm just really nervous after finding all of this out yesterday and looking for any information I can get.

I'm in the same boat. I've started my weekly injections.
I went into preterm labor with my daughter at 34 weeks and was fully effaced and partially dialated.
My water didn't break and contractions slowed.
I had her 2 weeks later at 36 weeks because my water broke at home.
My water spontaneously sprung a leak with my son at 33 weeks and I was contracting. Also fully effaced and partially dilated. They fully ruptured my waters and I delivered him.
2 out of 2 for early labors and cervix shortening early.
Due to this, I will do injections from 16 weeks to 38 weeks.
They also do an internal ultrasound to look at my cervix every 2 weeks.
I was told there were women who had the injections for some of their pregnancies but not others and they always had good results with the injections.
I have pretty good expectations for them.
Are you having any site reactions?
On one side, I've developed what looks like a cluster of mosquito bites that itch like crazy!

I haven't had a single reaction to the shot. I was expecting it to be very painful and irritated just from the experiences I have read and somehow I have barely even felt the shots. I get some stinging at the site for maybe 2 hours afterwards and then just nothing.
I'm very hopeful that they will work for me too. It's hard to say if my last pregnancy was just a twin thing or IC. How have your measurements been so far? I've 3.2-3.1.

They don't tell me my measurements I guess. They just say everything is looking good.
The injections themselves aren't too bad, I've also found.
I also have some soreness in whichever hip I have the injection in. It can last up to a day but nothing unbearable. I hadn't had any reactions until 2 days ago. I found it strange because I get my injections on Friday and it had been days after an injection and it was also on the opposite side of the one I just got.

You know what is weird is that my opposite hip was sore this week too. I was just figuring it couldn't have been from the injection because it was a whole week later so it definitely could have been from that. Maybe they wouldn't tell me the measurements if I didn't ask, I never thought about that. I just knew that if my length drops to 2.5 they'll give me a cerclage so I always ask right away what I am at.

I should ask each time so I have an idea on if mine is changing at all.
They are also talking about putting in a cerclage if mine thins too early. But I'm really really hoping it doesn't get to that. Just the thought makes me cringe!
I'm just hoping the progesterone does its job.
I'm planning on asking about my reaction tomorrow :S
It will be my 3rd injection.
Maybe it has after effects because it takes the oil a while to disperse?
They really don't explain much.

Yes, when I had my first injection they told me that I might get swelling, itching, bumpy or burning at the injection site and that its normal. I have my third injection on Monday. I've heard that some people have no reaction for a few shots and then all of a sudden develop one. It'll be interesting to see if I keep not having a reaction. I keep asking for my measurements because I am nervous about cerclage and trying to prepare myself for the possibility that I might need one. It's kind of a double edged sword though because knowing where I measure makes me super nervous to see the new measurement each week.

I had a preterm labour last time and started dilating on my own so I'm also in the same boat this time. So, they started Progesterone shots and did cervical check every week from week 16. Then when they found that it went down to 2.3 in my 20 week scan, they did the cerclage immediately. I had my check yesterday again at 24 weeks and the cervix is now 3.2 with stitches holding up nicely.

So, in short, if you have cervical check every week, then it's good. Also, if you feel that the cervix is changing so much till 20 weeks, you can still ask them for a preventive cerclage at that stage as it's better to get the stitches earlier as preventive than later as an emergency one.

Oh. My. God.
I have HUGE welts now on both sides of my bottom after my last injection. They are maddeningly itchy.
They're each the size of a quarter and they're hard and raised.
I've only had 3 rounds. I can't handle this for the rest of my pregnancy!!!
I can handle the injection itself. I can handle the burn. But I cannot handle this itch. If I itch, the welts get bigger and itchier but they itch even if I don't scratch them. I've tried benadryl and cortisone cream and neither help.
I'm going insane and I have 5 more months of this!

I am SO sorry you are having this reaction! I just had my third shot yesterday and again, I have nothing. The nurse actually seemed impressed with that as it sounds like the raised bumps/itching/burning is quite common. I am so sorry you are having to deal with that though. I think that might break me with the stress I already feel with the cervical length checks. Does your doctor seem to think that the extreme itching and welts are still within the normal reaction?

I've heard that warm compresses after the shots help dispurse the oil in the shots not sure on how true that is. So maybe try a hot compress or hot shower to bring down tge swelling and discomfort?

My doctor hasn't really looked. I get my injections from a nuse and they have pretty well brushed it off.
I've been turning the shower on really hot and just running the water over the area and using benadryl cream. The itching subsided about 2-3 days ago but I just got another injection today so we'll see :/

Another question, where are you getting your injections at? I'm 99% sure they're putting them in the wrong spot. They're right in the middle of my butt cheeks. When I look online, they're supposed to be in my lower back.
I'm worried to say anything though because they're the nurses and I'm just the patient...

My shots are going in what I would call my upper butt cheek but still on the butt cheek. Hopefully the itching doesn't come this time! Have you tried a heat pad? When I got the first one the nurse did mention that people use a heat pad if they are sore/bruising.

That's what I've been hearing works well but I haven't had one on hand. I'll probably buy one and see if it helps. I'm just hoping the itching doesn't come back.
I got my shot this morning and so far it's just sore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->