Prolonged spotting and bleeding/delayed O after HSG?

clara_nb

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am brand new to this forum, although I have been TTC for over a year. Just to give you a bit of background/context, I am 29 and have been married to DW for 2 years (together for 7). DW cannot get pregnant due to medication. We began our journey last winter, through the only fertility clinic within a five hour radius of us. We did five IUI's (no medications because they believe I am ovulatory) before we ran out of money. We have been working with a known donor and tried in 11/15, 12/15, 1/16, and 2/16. Our donor is considering moving out of province in search of work, and we likely only have one or two more attempts with him before we need to decide on a new path.

Given this reality, my GP referred me to an OB/GYN in my area and she scheduled me for an HSG. I had the test on March 1 2016 (CD 10, where my cycles are usually 31-33 days with O on day 17-20). I had some pain during the test (mostly just the speculum/catheter part), and some bleeding and discharge (dye/disinfectant) after. I felt fine otherwise. From 03-01 until 03-07, I had some brown spotting/discharge, but it was really light and only evident when I wiped.

In the late afternoon of 03-07, I felt a gush, and went to the bathroom thinking maybe my EWCM had started (it was CD 16 and I hadn't had any signs of O yet). It turned out to be a fast gush of blood that soaked through my underwear and pants (sorry if TMI!). Good thing it was the end of the workday! I continued to bleed into the evening with fairly large (nickel-sized) clots (again sorry TMI). I called my OB/GYN office the next morning and they said as long as I didn't have a fever/excessive bleeding/foul odour, it should be fine although it's not normal. They told me to call them back if it happened again. The bleeding had stopped by then so I went about my day (still getting negative OPKs). On the afternoon of 03-09, I had another gush of blood, far less this time, but I called the OB/GYN as per their instructions and they asked the same questions and gave me the same response.

For the past 2 days my bleeding seems to have stopped. The spotting is back a bit, and I think *finally* my EWCM is beginning to start very sporadically (although I still have negative OPKs). I'm now on CD 20. I normally O around now, although last month (before the HSG) I had a really weird cycle (36 days) and I stopped testing for O because I had to go away from work and only had one shot with the donor anyway so I didn't want to stress/rub it in that I couldn't try again.

Sorry if this was convoluted/too much detail -- I guess what I'm looking for is to hear if anyone else has had prolonged bleeding/spotting after HSG and if it had an impact on their ovulation. My donor is away for the weekend and I'm hoping I don't miss the opportunity... but obviously we can't ask him to rearrange his plans to match my sporadic cycles!

Any insights would be appreciated! :)

Just realized I forgot to mention that results of the HSG showed no blockages... so it's "unexplained primary infertility" for me!

I did not have a similar reaction to the HSG that you had, so I've got nothing to share related to that. I just wanted to hop on and say that whenever you mess around with your body, it's possible that it could mess things up in a number of ways! So what's happening to you may not be very common, but that doesn't mean it's not within the acceptable range of possible side effects.

I had a polypectomy in August and the cycle I had it on was normal in terms of length, but the next cycle was 60 days long. It returned to normal after that. And then just last month I took estrogen for about ten days of my cycle as a test for when I do DE IVF & I'm still not sure if I had withdrawal bleeding from stopping the estrogen or if the bleeding was a light and early AF.

The only way to know what's going on is keep doing opks/bbt to predict & confirm ov, or to get a vaginal ultrasound. Hormone blood tests probably wouldn't give you enough info. Or you just wait. Which is the worst, in my opinion.

GL! :dust::dust:

I did not have a similar reaction to the HSG that you had, so I've got nothing to share related to that. I just wanted to hop on and say that whenever you mess around with your body, it's possible that it could mess things up in a number of ways! So what's happening to you may not be very common, but that doesn't mean it's not within the acceptable range of possible side effects.

I had a polypectomy in August and the cycle I had it on was normal in terms of length, but the next cycle was 60 days long. It returned to normal after that. And then just last month I took estrogen for about ten days of my cycle as a test for when I do DE IVF & I'm still not sure if I had withdrawal bleeding from stopping the estrogen or if the bleeding was a light and early AF.

The only way to know what's going on is keep doing opks/bbt to predict & confirm ov, or to get a vaginal ultrasound. Hormone blood tests probably wouldn't give you enough info. Or you just wait. Which is the worst, in my opinion.

GL! :dust::dust:
Thank you Vonn -- bodies are very sensitive, aren't they? Best of luck to you with your journey!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->